A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you couldn't tell by my username my name is Dodge and I may be the ultimate Ford fanboy. I listen to a lot of tech podcasts and all I hear is about the chip shortage and shipping delays during the worst pandemic in 100 years. Look at the full size Bronco I haven't even seen one on the road yet. Because of the chips and delays, I knew going into this I was in it for the long haul. Some people may not be able to wait because the vehicle they have may be on its last legs. Which is completely understandable. But I doubt Ford or any company wants to hold back production. Look at the PS5 and Xbox X if you got one you're one of the lucky people almost a year later. And I'm sure they would love to sell more. I always have a joke that I say I'm not a doctor that's why I have no patience. But I think we should be able to have some patience with the way things are going in the world right now. Waiting for a truck is a small price to pay for some people.
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
As for options you want... wait a year or two, maybe Ford will add them once they have the manufacturing/supply side of things running smoothly.
As a past owner of several Ford vehicles, I quickly learned that it's worth it to wait for at least two model years, preferably until the mid-cycle refresh, before jumping on a Ford. Thus I'm over here waiting in the background for two years instead of preordering a Maverick now.

People who bought something, regardless of it being 1¢ or $1,000,000, understanding there's no guarantee whatsoever on when they can expect delivery, then moaning and groaning that they have to wait.
People don't mind waiting; they just don't like being ignored. With all the resources Ford has, something akin to CarMax's vehicle tracker I'm sure would quell some anxiety and restlessness.

While I appreciated the transparency, CarMax was almost too frequent with the updates. On the other hand, you have companies like ARE or Truck Accessories Group.

I ordered a $3000 topper with limited information, so I wasn't even 100% sure of what I was getting for my money. Zero status updates for about two months until the local dealer I ordered it from told me it was here.

At the end of the day, if you spend $28k, 35k or 40k on the Maverick you are really just getting a well dressed up $20,000 truck.
I agree. I would be really surprised if Ford stamped the sheet metal from thicker material, sprayed more clearcoat on the paint, or spent more time getting the panel gaps just right on a $40k Maverick versus a $20k Maverick.

Reactions: Cad

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I complained about quality or lack of certain features for a 37k vehicle.....

My issue is that I don't feel that I am getting 17k worth of upgrades
So get a trim level with fewer upgrades, so your sense of value is satisfied? I mean seriously... what do you expect? Ford to come over to these forums, apologize for not offering you the options you wanted and then offer you your options so your sense of value is affirmed?

This is not how car manufacturing has ever worked. Ford crunched a bunch of numbers, figured out how to get as much money out of people while delivering just enough to make the majority happy and keep their costs down.

I think I'm going to go start a thread on why I'm really angry at Ford for not offering a 9000lb towing capacity and the option for 6 wheel drive on the Maverick. :ROFLMAO:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I agree. And I'll call out a few things that grind my fucking gears.

1. The FX4 tires are 100% trash. You also cannot get the 235 tires on the FX4 wheel...what?!?!

2. The lack of a black interior on the Lariat is unacceptable.

3. No rear defrost. Seriously? What year is it? Not even on a Lariat...

4. I've ordered a 36k Lariat and just recently realized I will not be getting a fullsize spare, while a cheaper hybrid will.

So...

The upgrade to the Ecoboost? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to AWD? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to FX4? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to the Lux package? You guessed it! No fullsize spare.

Unacceptable.

The longer I wait for my order, the more I want to not buy.

Ajm

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I want a brand new model of my 1996 tacoma: manual locking hubs, manual windows & locks, manual transmission, nearly indestructible 4 cyl engine, regular cab.

Never going to happen, so I I'm happy that Ford is offering something of a similar size in my price range. Is there stuff I'm not super excited about? Sure, but I don't build trucks so I'll take what I can get.

Just my opinion...we all have one.

Sponsored

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I feel like most of the issues people raise in this thread are just bitter grapes from people who don't understand the auto industry at all.

That said the lack of a full size spare on the Ecoboost at any package level when the hybrid has it in like every package is baffling to me.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would be really surprised if Ford stamped the sheet metal from thicker material, sprayed more clearcoat on the paint, or spent more time getting the panel gaps just right on a $40k Maverick versus a $20k Maverick.
I'm agreeing with you, but isn't this obvious? No vehicle manufacturer has ever done any of these things, unless it was explicitly stated (and the consumer pays for it). The more differences, the more complicated (time-consuming and expensive) the manufacturing process. There are some bizarre complaints in this thread.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree. And I'll call out a few things that grind my fucking gears.

1. The FX4 tires are 100% trash. You also cannot get the 235 tires on the FX4 wheel...what?!?!

2. The lack of a black interior on the Lariat is unacceptable.

3. No rear defrost. Seriously? What year is it? Not even on a Lariat...

4. I've ordered a 36k Lariat and just recently realized I will not be getting a fullsize spare, while a cheaper hybrid will.

So...

The upgrade to the Ecoboost? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to AWD? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to FX4? No fullsize spare.

The upgrade to the Lux package? You guessed it! No fullsize spare.

Unacceptable.

The longer I wait for my order, the more I want to not buy.
Yowsa - Didn't realize the Ecoboost was excluded from the included full size spare even when u optioned every available package - This is crap - Where is one of those Maverick brand managers when you need to tweak the order board ?

Reactions: bgn

Westsidetruck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Hybrid
At the end of the day, if you spend $28k, 35k or 40k on the Maverick you are really just getting a well dressed up $20,000 truck.

The truck in core, in bones, in all things except for extras like seat trim and optional equipment was designed as a $20,000 truck. Period.

This means that the plastics inside it are just as cheap and hard on the $40k Maverick as they are on the 20k one. This means the road noise and handling feel, the sound of the powertrain, the sound of the door slamming, and the build quality are identical from the 20k truck all the way up to whatever it costs.

Adding $20,000 of options, fancier seat trim, different colored plastics and different design wheels doesn't change it's core basic form any more than a woman wearing a dress from Walmart is any different a person if she is wearing Dolce & Gabbana.

I've driven a number of $80-90k F-Series trucks in the last year or so that while very nice, have a basic structure and interior quality of the one designed to sell for $30k. It's sometimes disappointing, but it is reality no matter how much Nappa leather and genuine wood trim they dress the thing up with.

There is nothing wrong with optioning up the vehicle, but I bought my $20,000 XL knowing very well what I am buying, a vehicle designed to sell at $20,000. I'm not fooling myself.
I get what you are saying, but I believe options have value, especially if you want and use them. Also, my hope is that the quality is higher than the price. just because something is inexpensive doesn’t mean it is cheap. Ford is saving in build costs by building the truck in Mexico. Perhaps you can build the same quality car in Mexico for $20k, that would cost $25k to build in the US. I hate to say it, but there are Chinese products that cost $1000 that may be far better quality than a similar product made somewhere else for $2000.

I expect the quality of this truck to be solid. Ford also knows what sells and they limit the options on the XL in hopes that folks either add options or go to the next trim level. I consider each trim level to be a great value, and agree, that if it has what you want, the XL is the best value. But to me the Lariat is no slouch. It is basically $10,000.00 less than a similarly equipped RAV-4 Hybrid, or about $8000 less than a similarly equipped Tucson Hybrid. My needs make a Hybrid ideal, so the small hybrid SUVs are the competition. I assume the quality of the Maverick is on par with the Toyota and Hyundai. Perhaps I will be mistaken, but all the Fords that I, my family and friends have had for the last 20 years have been great cars.

I also want to add, I am exited about this truck, very excited. I realize that we are in interesting times right now. I think Ford is doing what they need to do in order to get the greatest amount of trucks out there. I really don’t even have an issue waiting a little longer to get some of the options i want. That said, I do understand where some folks are coming from on the constraints list. The question is, should the Ability to produce trucks faster be given priority over order dates. In a situation like the Maverick, where there are a massive number of orders, ability To mass produce will win out over order dates. However, i get it when someone gets irked that a much later reservation gets pulled over theirs, simply because it is easier for Ford to build. It is a line mentality, no one wants to get skipped.

for many of us this is uncharted waters. I for one have never ordered a vehicle, so I am not familiar with this process. I would probably feel different if there were no constraints at all, which I suspect is the normal situation in years past .

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anticipation turns to rage when people have unrealistic expectations.
I agree... But I'm here to talk about trucks, not my love life.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That said the lack of a full size spare on the Ecoboost at any package level when the hybrid has it in like every package is baffling to me.
Is there an engineering reason for this?
Lack of room because of suspension, exhaust, something?
Or is it just a choice Ford made?

Reactions: JJC

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel like most of the issues people raise in this thread are just bitter grapes from people who don't understand the auto industry at all.

Probably due to exhaust/muffler packaging it cant fit the full size spare under the rear of the truck

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like the picture shown as I truly enjoy both apples and oranges.So looking forward to driving the Maverick out to our local orchards and picking both of these beauties!
Hang in there folks our rigs will show up eventually✔🇺🇸

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Probably due to exhaust/muffler packaging it cant fit the full size spare under the rear of the truck
I just built several ecoboost builds and the full size spare is available for $115 under accessories. I get that people are mad they have to pay for it, but its available if you want it and it’s not that much in the grand scheme of things. I guess I don’t see the big deal about this other than having to pay $115 for it.
Sponsored