First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey everyone not sure that I've seen a thread talk about this (or I just can't find one) but has anybody else taken their car to the gas station to fill up and the nozzle clicks short of what should be a full tank? So far it's happened to me two times. I'll be close to E and maybe have about half a gallon left and when I go to fill up the pump nozzle clicks off as if the gas tank is full and it only gave me 10ish gallons when the fuel tank is 13. Lmk your experiences or remedies? For reference it was at Costco when it happened
Sponsored

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone not sure that I've seen a thread talk about this (or I just can't find one) but has anybody else taken their car to the gas station to fill up and the nozzle clicks short of what should be a full tank? So far it's happened to me two times. I'll be close to E and maybe have about half a gallon left and when I go to fill up the pump nozzle clicks off as if the gas tank is full and it only gave me 10ish gallons when the fuel tank is 13. Lmk your experiences or remedies? For reference it was at Costco when it happened
Many threads on the forums here do not top off your tank, let it stop… some people have found out they can put over 15 gallons in also.

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Reatta, Ford Ranger, Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine has been similar, at times. Maybe it is my own estimating that is off, but if I do the standard fill procedure, and then I look at the estimated range to empty, and it is close to normal, I forget about it. What did the range to empty say before filling up?

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A few factors going on here.
1. Fuel gauges are not precision instruments. An estimate of a 1/2 gallon left could easily be 1.5 gallons or a 1/2 pint.
2. Slight pitch of a vehicle could vary tank fill .5-1 gallon.
3. Fuel pump auto-shutoff sensitivity varies. A fast pump will shut off sooner than a slow pump. Spills from overfills are a safety hazard.
Remedy: None

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I always fill my hybrid on the slowest filling setting and stop at first cut off. Also look at picture in manual the recommended angle of insertion appears to be 1/2" short of all the way in. I believe the filler tube to the tank is a little long and/or not quite large enough diameter for adequate air flow in some cases. Also search for threads where some have ran their trucks until they are out of gas to check the reserve in tank when miles remaining shows 0. Some claim 30 more miles and some report 50ish. Costco locations at least the two I use appear to have a faster flow rate at fast or slower fill settings than other brand providers. No way to know for sure but it appears that fast fill will click off up to 2 gallon sooner than slow fill.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tonybologona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine has been similar, at times. Maybe it is my own estimating that is off, but if I do the standard fill procedure, and then I look at the estimated range to empty, and it is close to normal, I forget about it. What did the range to empty say before filling up?
Range was 25 miles but when I filled up it gave me 420 range if I can recall. It was only 75% of a full tank

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tank has a 2.5 gallon reserve. Tank reads a little over 10 gallons per use. You are fine. You will still get the great gas mileage. No need to attempt to overfill.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The "usable" gas tank is 13.x gallons but the physical tank is actually larger than that. Something about the shape and how the fuel pump works, etc...

It's best to NEVER "top off" ANY car- the gasoline we burn is a Gas not a Liquid. When people top off a lot of it comes back out as invisible gas without being able to see it- bad for the environment.

DO NOT top off the Maverick- there's a better system to absorb that gaseous gasoline so it doesn't go back out into the environment. It's only designed to absorb so much, after that it creates problems.

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
420 miles on a full tank seems low to me as well, sorta the 10 gallons added? I imagine it makes a difference what your general average mileage is, especially just before the fillup. I am used to seeing in the approximate 500+ mile range after a fill, but to be fair, mine is a summer only vehicle and the average mileage is generally around 40mpg indicated, plus or minus a little. Kink in the filler hose? Glitch in the gauge and range readout system??

Sponsored

Shelbyv8

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Grand Caravan, 2002 Ranger xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How much fuel you can put in is affected by how level the Maverick is. Temperature of fuel also affects Volume. Miles to empty is calculated by the average mpg to a full tank so this is not a precise measurement.

2seater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the reported mpg reasonably close to the actual hand calculated mileage? Mine is usually a couple of mpg overestimated in my normal day to day driving. It seems to get closer to reality if there is more long distance trips in the tank load. From the post, it seems to be a new problem. Is Costco the usual source for fuel? Many variables as stated above.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For reference it was at Costco when it happened
Happened to me at Costco as well. I think their pumps may be fast flow and this trips the sensor early. Would not be surprised since they have so many pumps running all at once.

I once had it only dispense 3/4 of a tank. My fuel gauge literally only showed 3/4 of a tank when I drove away from the pump.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Happened to me at Costco as well. I think their pumps may be fast flow and this trips the sensor early. Would not be surprised since they have so many pumps running all at once.

I once had it only dispense 3/4 of a tank. My fuel gauge literally only showed 3/4 of a tank when I drove away from the pump.
I had the same thing happen once at an ARCO AM/PM station. So far no issues at Costco.

WoodWorks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Having spent some time during my youth pumping gas to earn spending money (back in the days before "self-serve"), I can tell you that each individual nozzle has its own flow rate and sensitivity to the shut-off switch. And there is no difference between different vendor's pumps. They are all random flow rate dispensers. If you're concerned about 1) over-filling, or 2) leaving a half-empty tank, why not just set the pump on "high" initially, and then, when it clicks off, re-engaging it on "low" until out clicks off again? That solves both problems.
Sponsored