First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Full size spare is just that, it’s not a donut you can drive 45mph max or whatever speed it says on the little donut that is only supposed to get you to the next exit and to a tire shop.

The full size spare is a full size tire that can be used for the rest of your trip. It’s not a matching wheel/tire combo it’s a 100 dollar drive for a week or two option until you have time to fix the tire which is nice to have especially if you are hauling or towing when you get a flat.

Now, I’m off the opinion it should be cheap and not worth stealing (steel wheel and cheapest non matching tire they can source) but it should be the same diameter. That’s where it doesn’t make sense to me, now if you have fwd and a flat on the front you need to move a good one from back to front and put the spare on the back.

Entry level vehicle, I’ll overlook it.
I agree with everything you said, steel wheel is fine, Not worth stealing, and even if it’s a 17 inch wheel and the others are 18, at least pick the correct size for the height of the 17 inch wheel, will be very close if not the same as the 18 inch. It is possible to find a 17inch tire within 2/32 Of an 18 inch wheel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Andy704

Andy704

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We had ordered the “full-size spare” option as well for $115, but got a call from our dealer on 3/10 that the we’d get the truck faster if we removed that option.

That’s when we learned through this forum that the “full-size spare tire” wasn’t the same size as the four tires that come on the truck anyway. So we had no problem dropping it from the order.

Apparently the real “full-size” tire and wheel won’t fit in the spare tire holding area….

And apparently, few car manufacturers provide /offer true “fifth wheel” spare options anymore. It’s been a long time since I dealt with buying a new car, so of course thought “full-size spare tire” was really same size as other four wheels/tires.

But then, I’m from the day when you rotated your spare tire in whenever you rotated the tires….
The dealer gave you incorrect information. The real full size spare would have an 18 inch rim, but I was able to get the equivalent size tire with the 17 rim provided from the manufacturer and the overall outside diameter of the tire is 1 mm shorter and it does fit underneath. Would have cost Ford 10 or $15 extra to install correct size, instead it cost me $100 from Discount Tire to get the correct size.

Rockingchair

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 16 F150 Lariat came new with a different sized spare, this is nothing new. Now borrow your significant others' "big girl" panties and move on. BTW my wife's 2022 Subaru Ascent spare is different too!

OP
OP
Andy704

Andy704

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 16 F150 Lariat came new with a different sized spare, this is nothing new. Now borrow your significant others' "big girl" panties and move on. BTW my wife's 2022 Subaru Ascent spare is different too!
Just trying to help you oh, you don't have to be a dick

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has been known ever since I joined here in August.

Sponsored

Revengeman01

First Name
Revenge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
So you figured out what Ford calls "Full Size" isn't full size.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The size of the wheel doesn't matter, the height of the tire matters. On todays vehicles with abs and stabilty control the tires have to be the same height or it throws off the computer and you will have serious issues driving it. Its downright dangerous.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The size of the wheel doesn't matter, the height of the tire matters. On todays vehicles with abs and stabilty control the tires have to be the same height or it throws off the computer and you will have serious issues driving it. Its downright dangerous.
My wife will agree with you, size does matter!

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's why the spare either doesn't have a TPMS sensor, or the sensor has different signaling from the others. So the computer can adjust traction control accordingly.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Oh my god. Is there anything you fucking people won't whine about?

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My spare is the same height as the stock wheels. TPMS has nothing to do with abs or stability lol.

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A 12v compressor and some slime will get you out of most situations if changing is inconvenient
Evidently a "blowout" could not be fixed with this, Only good for slow leaks or a small puncture.

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Spare tires are meant as a temporary fix to get you to a place to get your flat fixed, not run it forever.
Sponsored