Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was wondering if you could just do a mount behind the rear seat and not use the cubbys :)
Many people have installed 8 and 10 inch powered subs behind the rear bench. I don't think there's space for a standard box though.

jayrx7trbo2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 fx4 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
New tweeters were slightly smaller than opening. I did 4 wraps of electric tape. They then fit in nicely.
im thinking just front and rear speaker upgrade(no amp) and just adding the sub in a pre-amped box behind seat for a modest upgrade..figuring easiest out. Ive heard just speaker upgrade alone is Huge Difference & who doesntr want a little more bass LoL

Droid82

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Going active with the amp powering the front speakers and tweeters is best. Let the head unit power the rear speakers. The key does time alignment and cleans up the sound with the built in dsp. Plus it saves your door chimes if you want them.

Timb508

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim Belsches
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there an alternative to the hoel harness? They seem to be out since oct.

Sponsored

JerseyMike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there an alternative to the hoel harness? They seem to be out since oct.
Yeah I was just about to order one when Ford cancelled me. Now I want to go ahead and get one, and they seem to be out of commission.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
im thinking just front and rear speaker upgrade(no amp) and just adding the sub in a pre-amped box behind seat for a modest upgrade..figuring easiest out. Ive heard just speaker upgrade alone is Huge Difference & who doesntr want a little more bass LoL
I did the speaker upgrade with Infinity Reference bought on Amazon for $99 that included 2-6.5” REF-6532IX & 2-4” x 6” REF-6432CFX and it was an amazing upgrade in clarity of sound. Had to turn the average volume down because of the efficiency of the Infinity speakers. But, when I added the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp , the sound came alive in areas that I've never heard on music that I'm intimately familiar. Once again, the average volume was turned down, but the clarity of the sound increased tremendously.

Best of all about the Infinity speakers is the grill that comes with the 6.5" in the front has the Infinity logo that can be removed and put in the little indentation on the front of the Maverick speaker grill. I painted a couple of flat 2032 batteries flat black and glued the logo on them, then glued the perfectly fitting batteries into the logo indention on the stock speaker grill. It looks pretty good.

I do have a Rockville RW68CA mounted but not connected tot he DSP yet, nor powered which I will do. Had I to do it over, I would not have added the sub because the sound I have now is perfect for me.

I bought the Puzu DSP Amp for $135 from eBay seller cybereveryday. What convinced me to purchase this is that it include the harness for a true plug and play installation for the DSP Amp. Initially I got the wrong Ford harness but the seller was great to work with me and get the right harness for the Maverick. This little 45W RMS DSP Amp made the music come alive for me in my XL and was well worth the $135.00.

Anyway, do what you think best for you. Best to all!:cool:

Alkaiser702

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jayrx7trbo2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 fx4 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did the speaker upgrade with Infinity Reference bought on Amazon for $99 that included 2-6.5” REF-6532IX & 2-4” x 6” REF-6432CFX and it was an amazing upgrade in clarity of sound. Had to turn the average volume down because of the efficiency of the Infinity speakers. But, when I added the Puzu PZ-C7 DSP Amp , the sound came alive in areas that I've never heard on music that I'm intimately familiar. Once again, the average volume was turned down, but the clarity of the sound increased tremendously.

Best of all about the Infinity speakers is the grill that comes with the 6.5" in the front has the Infinity logo that can be removed and put in the little indentation on the front of the Maverick speaker grill. I painted a couple of flat 2032 batteries flat black and glued the logo on them, then glued the perfectly fitting batteries into the logo indention on the stock speaker grill. It looks pretty good.

I do have a Rockville RW68CA mounted but not connected tot he DSP yet, nor powered which I will do. Had I to do it over, I would not have added the sub because the sound I have now is perfect for me.

I bought the Puzu DSP Amp for $135 from eBay seller cybereveryday. What convinced me to purchase this is that it include the harness for a true plug and play installation for the DSP Amp. Initially I got the wrong Ford harness but the seller was great to work with me and get the right harness for the Maverick. This little 45W RMS DSP Amp made the music come alive for me in my XL and was well worth the $135.00.

Anyway, do what you think best for you. Best to all!:cool:
where did you put the 4” x 6” REF-6432CFX ?? i though back speakers were 4in round..

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
where did you put the 4” x 6” REF-6432CFX ?? i though back speakers were 4in round..
They are 4" round but just mount to the C-pillar cover. It's pretty easy to fit something larger like a 4"x6" there instead.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They bolted right up to the 4" mount on the rear speakers like this:

Rear Speaker Mount
Ford Maverick Full audio upgrade complete 1670614979665

Ford Maverick Full audio upgrade complete 1670615042480

Ford Maverick Full audio upgrade complete 1670615126366

This is just one way to mount the 4 x 6, there are many more methods that work as well. Credit MTC member BootXL76 for the photos. I added something similar to the gasketing material shown above. Plus, there is inside sheet metal with a gap between it and the outside metal skin of the cab. There is some fibre fill that Ford installed, but I filled up the cavity as much as I could.

Remember, the rear speaker circuit is limited on the low range of the frequencies to protect the stock 4" speaker. Some say at 75Hz, some say 100Hz, and others say at 150Hz. I do know it is limited because the low response just isn't there on the 4" x 6" Infinity speakers. The 4" x 6" have a frequency response of 75Hz – 21kHz which is also a good range. If I can truly get down to 75 Hz with the rears, then I didn't need the powered subwoofer at all with the music I listen to. They are also very efficient at a sensitivity of 92dB. They are rated at 45 watts RMS so they will be driven to their max by my DSP Amp, also rated at 45 watts RMS per channel. I haven't tuned the DSP Amp yet but I may eliminate the rear speaker feed and feed them from the front speaker feed through the DSP.

I'm not the only one that installed 4" x 6" to replace the 4" rears. Search 4" x 6" rear speakers here on MTC and you'll find a wealth of info.

Hope this helps some.

Timb508

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim Belsches
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Full audio upgrade complete Screenshot_20221209-181318_Samsung Internet
would this be a comparable harness to the one you used?

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Screenshot_20221209-181318_Samsung Internet.jpg
would this be a comparable harness to the one you used?
Certainly in the way the harness works taking the audio from the ACM feeding it through the DSP and looping back to the audio system's speaker circuits. Believe me, I lusted after the Kicker Key and appropriate harness for months. I just could not afford the Kicker Key and a $200 harness. So, when I found the Puzu DSP AMP with harness included, I jumped on it.

TpaTruck

I finally upgraded the sound system in my xl maverick. The stock sound is awful. Terrible.
Kicker key 200.4 amp. $250 Best Buy.

Focal component speakers ( front doors and dash) RSE-165. $149 CRUTCHFIELD.

tweeter harness . Metra 72-5600. $15 for two. CRUTCHFIELD.

Rockville 8" . 400 watt powered sub woofer. $100 . Amazon.

Complete harness that connects radio to amp and subwoofer. $180
https://hoelwiring.com/#MainContent

The hoel harness may seem expensive but it's such a time saver. All in one to hook up everything. I only had to run two power leads from battery and run two ground wires. The customer service is outstanding. Even answered my many noob questions at midnight !

I bought the Boss amp kit for $20 on Amazon. The Rockville sub came with a wiring kit.

$5. At harbor freight for heat shrink tubing.

I took my time and install wasn't too bad. The tweeters actually caused the most cursing.

The kicker key amp is amazing. It automatically balances the audio.

I am not exaggerating....the sound is 5 times better than stock. Simply fantastic!!!

20221011_181021.jpg

20221011_181027.jpg

20221011_181115.jpg

20221011_182454.jpg

20221011_181042.jpg
It's really weird to me that a lot of people don't like the stock speakers. I think they're pretty awesome. I'm not running around with my trunk rattling or trying to let the whole neighborhood hear my music, but I do like the way the base and treble sound on stock. Can they be better, yeah, but it just seems like so much extra work and money to have your base hit harder. That's me anyway.

I didn't add up all your numbers to get the total cost, but wouldn't it have been easier/same price to upgrade to the BnO system...or is that inferior to what you did as well?
Sponsored