First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi, just got my xlt hybrid over the weekend. The dealer didn't drill the license plate mount on. Is it required for me to have the front license plates on? I read that if there's not brackets, it's not required in our state?
Sponsored

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it is required, and simple for the dealer to install.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Legally required, but I'm not running one. It looks ugly on the Maverick imo.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Legally required, but the consensus among current/former law enforcement (those who take the time to comment) seems to be that they only pulled people over for that violation if they were already looking for a reason to pull the person over. They added it on to whatever the "real" reason was for pulling the person over. Or they ticketed them for the missing plate with a cheaper "fix it ticket" versus the "doing 75 MPH in a school zone" ticket.

Your mileage may vary.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One can prolly not run a plate and get away with it until they run across that one trooper who is having the worst day of his life professionally. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
parusa3

parusa3

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the reply. I think, i'll have the dealer install it when the plates arrive. No need to take any chances.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I once ran across a state trooper with a very long & coarse hair up his ass, he was going to put me in jail for the weekend because I didn't have a front plate. Just put it on, it's one less reason to single you out in traffic.

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to add to the anecdotal evidence, I moved to Seattle in 2007 from a state that didn't require the front plate, so didn't have the bracket and never installed a front plate. No issues, sold it in 2016. Probably just was lucky.

Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Ohio I went 3 years without a front plate on my car until Ohio changed the law. Why? Cause it was a PA car and they don't have a front plate and there was no bracket.

Today, many manufacturers are against front plates because of the crash avoidance and cruise control/auto pilot systems now have sensors in the bumper where plate, even not covering a sensor, could interfere with its safe operation.

And as another said, most state police do not care. Temp tags and out of state vehicles are already exempt. Picking you out of the crowd is not an issue at all.

Hopperdropper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put mine on instead of asking my dealer so I could avoid drilling into the painted portion of my truck. I used the standard bracket they provide but only drilled the bottom two holes into the plastic and used sticky velcro pads on the top. You can't tell by the look of it.

gchmav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD Lariat Lux (times 2!)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm trying to decide on this. We are moving from Michigan (no front plate state) to WA soon. One of our Mavericks will be easy - it has the tow hooks and brackets exist for those. The other one though...
Sponsored