Sponsored

Ford Maverick Hybrid - NEW Tractor Mode Unlocked ( 3000 miles)

Vchat20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 C-Max Energi
Engine
Undecided
Had this pop up in my Google News feed. Not a Maverick owner but I do own its predecessor, the C-Max so they are relatively similar in some aspects.

To those commenting on the coolant temp sensor: Ford's generally don't monitor the coolant itself especially on 4cyl engines. Rather they have a 'Cylinder Head Temp' sensor and they infer the coolant temp from this. This is helpful for some of the noted cases such as air bubbles or a worse case scenario of a full loss of coolant as it measures the cylinder head directly and can read an overheat condition even if there's no longer any coolant present. The sensor usually sits between spark plugs 2&3 on the 4cyl engines. Forscan (or IDS if you have access) should be able to give you the actual sensor temp instead of the inferred coolant temp which would be what you'd get from the standard coolant temp OBD PID.

Blinking CEL is often an indicator of a severe misfire.

One thing I always recommend to people especially considering our hybrid vehicles with more complex systems is to get the codes/DTCs read, preferrably from IDS or Forscan which will give you Ford specific codes that an off the shelf generic code scanner may not. Even if there's no CEL or other warning lights where it thinks something is severely wrong, something could still be set to help narrow down what's going on.
Sponsored

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If this is me at 3k, I can't get to carmax/carvana fast enough. Love my truck. If it was constantly screwed up, it would be gone while the profit margin is still there and title is clean. Don't like the idea of passing on a problem, but these mega stores have to do their due diligence like anyone else.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had this pop up in my Google News feed. Not a Maverick owner but I do own its predecessor, the C-Max so they are relatively similar in some aspects.

To those commenting on the coolant temp sensor: Ford's generally don't monitor the coolant itself especially on 4cyl engines. Rather they have a 'Cylinder Head Temp' sensor and they infer the coolant temp from this. This is helpful for some of the noted cases such as air bubbles or a worse case scenario of a full loss of coolant as it measures the cylinder head directly and can read an overheat condition even if there's no longer any coolant present. The sensor usually sits between spark plugs 2&3 on the 4cyl engines. Forscan (or IDS if you have access) should be able to give you the actual sensor temp instead of the inferred coolant temp which would be what you'd get from the standard coolant temp OBD PID.

Blinking CEL is often an indicator of a severe misfire.

One thing I always recommend to people especially considering our hybrid vehicles with more complex systems is to get the codes/DTCs read, preferrably from IDS or Forscan which will give you Ford specific codes that an off the shelf generic code scanner may not. Even if there's no CEL or other warning lights where it thinks something is severely wrong, something could still be set to help narrow down what's going on.
Good to know. I let others do all maintenance etc. I would expect if any sensor has an out of expected range condition a code would be posted but my experience is that most computer programmers do not adequately consider all conditions. Usually because of time constraints given to get code working. I have several years experience in real time interrupt driven coding. (The chip monitoring the sensor posts a flag which is monitored and at some severity level will interrupt normal program code to execute proper routine. Yes flag monitoring continues and if an additional more severe flag is posted the lower level code can continue to run using one processor and if needed the higher level code has precedence. (Think something like steering code trying to change lanes but if blind spot sensor flags active condition higher priority processor overrides lower priority code which could cause imminent collision flag to be posted which could brakes to be activated). I have no idea how programmer has actually coded this🤷.

MrXmas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Issues which i have so far.
1. Super Loud Idle.
2. Shuddering on breaking 20-25 mph.
3. Engine check.

Issue #1 happens once in 1-2 days.
Issue #2 happens all the time, i can reproduce it 5 times in a row easily.
Issue #3 fixed ( possibly)

Brought to dealer they said "We don't know what it is", offered to schedule service in 3 months.

Was able to schedule in another dealer service 1 h away from me.
They said "Oh its a software issue", everything will be 100% fixed by update.

Well, of course after update nothing got fixed. (Oh yes they fixed Engine check light from dash panel).
Besides that all issue exists as they were before.

Dear Ford Rep, please don't waste your time commenting on this post, i already messaged you and no help was provided.

As much as i love this car i don't understand how many issues it can have at 3000 miles.

I do not want to sound toxic, but i am getting a little bit annoyed by the amount issues, and no official help from Ford.
I was all in thinking you got a new mode somehow! Your noise is not normal. I get the low speed shimmy and rough cold start too, but it does not sound like that. I hope everything works out for you!
Oh hell.
I've been waiting over 14 months for this thing and still don't have a schedule date. Now I read about all these problems with the hybrids. Is this a one-off situation, or is this pretty common? If this is common, I'm going to abandon this order and go buy a Toyota or something.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is tough. The overall "design" of the truck is good. The implementation is so-so.

Reactions: JAC

Sponsored

SaltyDog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2.0 XLT AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Issues which i have so far.
1. Super Loud Idle.
2. Shuddering on breaking 20-25 mph.
3. Engine check.

Issue #1 happens once in 1-2 days.
Issue #2 happens all the time, i can reproduce it 5 times in a row easily.
Issue #3 fixed ( possibly)

Brought to dealer they said "We don't know what it is", offered to schedule service in 3 months.

Was able to schedule in another dealer service 1 h away from me.
They said "Oh its a software issue", everything will be 100% fixed by update.

Well, of course after update nothing got fixed. (Oh yes they fixed Engine check light from dash panel).
Besides that all issue exists as they were before.

Dear Ford Rep, please don't waste your time commenting on this post, i already messaged you and no help was provided.

As much as i love this car i don't understand how many issues it can have at 3000 miles.

I do not want to sound toxic, but i am getting a little bit annoyed by the amount issues, and no official help from Ford.
Sorry this is going on with your hybrid. Best wishes.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
By the way, it started to happen during winter at 32 farenheits or below 0 celsius.
I saw other posts people are complaining about same issue.

During summer never had this.
The Mav isn't the only hybrid model Ford makes so I wonder if the problem is found across the board on other models of Ford hybrids? Then again, if the problem occurs primarily in cold places, maybe Ford should only sell hybrid Mavs in warm places :)- That would make my wait shorter for the hybrid I ordered Sept 18. . . I also noticed the EPA sticker mpg for the 2023 hybrid is now 40mpg city, down from 42 mpg city in 2022. Maybe they revised/recalibrated/repgrogrammed the regenerative braking to be less aggressive to solve the problem, meaning the gas engine runs more? Meanwhile, I am enjoying the 2.0 EB I purchased to tide me over until my hybrid is built. I am able to clean the windshield all the way to the middle without using a step stool and reach stuff that in my former truck floated into the middle of the bed without climbing on the rear tire.

jons

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Mav isn't the only hybrid model Ford makes so I wonder if the problem is found across the board on other models of Ford hybrids? Then again, if the problem occurs primarily in cold places, maybe Ford should only sell hybrid Mavs in warm places :)- That would make my wait shorter for the hybrid I ordered Sept 18. . . I also noticed the EPA sticker mpg for the 2023 hybrid is now 40mpg city, down from 42 mpg city in 2022. Maybe they revised/recalibrated/repgrogrammed the regenerative braking to be less aggressive to solve the problem, meaning the gas engine runs more? Meanwhile, I am enjoying the 2.0 EB I purchased to tide me over until my hybrid is built. I am able to clean the windshield all the way to the middle without using a step stool and reach stuff that in my former truck floated into the middle of the bed without climbing on the rear tire.
Let's make a trade. I will buy you a Maverick if you let me live in your town!

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is tough. The overall "design" of the truck is good. The implementation is so-so.
Funny :) :) . I checked your weather - it is around freezing. But you have wide open spaces. It is 63 F. here at 3pm PST. 87 regular is $4.39/gallon at Costco and $4.89 at the Chevron down the hill from me. Hard decision but I must pass.

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Funny :) :) . I checked your weather - it is around freezing. But you have wide open spaces. It is 63 F. here at 3pm PST. 87 regular is $4.39/gallon at Costco and $4.89 at the Chevron down the hill from me. Hard decision but I must pass.
P.S. My local Ford Stealer in zip 92024 has 3 of 9 Mavs that appeared in their inventory at the first of the year. The 2.0 EB are priced $7500 above MSRP and hybrids $8500 above MSRP. I drove to a stealer 90 miles away and *only* paid $1800 above MSRP. There is a Ford stealer in zip 92109 that prices theirs $10,000k above MSRP. That is the sunshine tax. Burrrrr.

Sponsored

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh hell.
I've been waiting over 14 months for this thing and still don't have a schedule date. Now I read about all these problems with the hybrids. Is this a one-off situation, or is this pretty common? If this is common, I'm going to abandon this order and go buy a Toyota or something.
Calm down. While these problems are real and I feel for the owners struggling with them, there are thousands of trucks not suffering from them. You’ll be fine.

MrXmas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Calm down. While these problems are real and I feel for the owners struggling with them, there are thousands of trucks not suffering from them. You’ll be fine.
I just want a sense of the scale of the problem. I've waited far too long to wind up with a defective truck. If this is one in a thousand, great. One in a hundred? Okay. 1 in 10? Unacceptable.

Reactions: JAC

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just want a sense of the scale of the problem. I've waited far too long to wind up with a defective truck. If this is one in a thousand, great. One in a hundred? Okay. 1 in 10? Unacceptable.
Impossible to get, but what we do know is that forums like this, while SUPER helpful, also tend to blow the scale of these kinds or problems up a lot worse than they really are. I suspect that if this shudder was even 1 in 100 that there would be a LOT more people screaming on this forum than there are.

I’m also sure that if you go to popular marque-specific forums for ANY vehicle then you’ll find similar scary stories. We’ve seen some serious issues on this forum and yet I’ve seen no reason to worry about the Maverick overall. And I had the infamous brake problem that now seems to be addressed. I think a lot of trucks are affected by that problem, actually, but at the end of the day it’s more of an inconvenience than it was a real problem likely to hurt anything.

Again, I think in general it’s a reasonably well built truck. I’m also betting a lot of these problems have already been addressed in current models yet to be built.

MrXmas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Impossible to get, but what we do know is that forums like this, while SUPER helpful, also tend to blow the scale of these kinds or problems up a lot worse than they really are. I suspect that if this shudder was even 1 in 100 that there would be a LOT more people screaming on this forum than there are.

I’m also sure that if you go to popular marque-specific forums for ANY vehicle then you’ll find similar scary stories. We’ve seen some serious issues on this forum and yet I’ve seen no reason to worry about the Maverick overall. And I had the infamous brake problem that now seems to be addressed. I think a lot of trucks are affected by that problem, actually, but at the end of the day it’s more of an inconvenience than it was a real problem likely to hurt anything.

Again, I think in general it’s a reasonably well built truck. I’m also betting a lot of these problems have already been addressed in current models yet to be built.
Thanks. I appreciate the follow up.
Now I probably just have six or seven more years to wait...

djb_rh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I appreciate the follow up.
Now I probably just have six or seven more years to wait...
Now that part might sadly be true.

FWIW, I’m an early adopter. Put my order in 7/21, truck showed up 2/22, and I am closing in on 20k miles. Love the thing.
Sponsored