First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Some will come out ahead and some will lose but Ford would not be selling them if they did not take in more than they pay out. More will lose. If you are concerned about having a catastrophic repair bill, then go whole hog, there are some expensive electronics on your Lariat. I know this is all generic advice as I am in the other camp (would not buy). You may get some specific advice on which plan they have experience with from others in the forum.

I would say that the price peace of mind that you get with a warranty is worth a lot to some. My daughter just bought a new car and warranty because it was a big purchase for her and she wanted the peace of mind knowing she would always have her car in good repair.

OB1e

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG LUX XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think grainger Ford was like $1800 for the 10yrs premium with no deductible. They way I see it it's $15/month for piece of mind.

IwannaMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL Ecoboost Fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought one thru Granger. 100k/8yr. Being first model year kinda worried me. May not be needed but the deal seemed right. I got in on the 3K off MSRP so I figured why not. With the warranty I still saved a bundle.

Sponsored

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
I plan on buying one but I have not decided on the details yet since our Maverick likely will not get here until April or May.

We normally buy cars like Toyotas, Hondas, or Subarus so this will be our first Ford and it does not sound like it can be expected to be as reliable as some of the other brands.

This is especially true with the Maverick since it is a new model and they did a lot of things to cut cost. So far there have been a lot of Maverick recalls which may not bode well for the long term reliability.

We will most likely the top Premium Care 10 year extended warranty for 48K or 60k miles since that should cover the little that will be driving it.

A couple of factors for us;

We have a different car that is better for longer trips. It will be rare that the Maverick gets 100 miles from our home.

We are retired so we will not be putting on a lot of miles commuting.

48k to 60K miles should cover what we will drive in ten years. If we drive more than expected then when we get close to having the warranty expire we may sell it since a low mileage truck with six months of warranty left sell for top dollar.

The zero deductible seems to make sense because the deductible for two or three visits would be enough to break even.

With inflation repairs will be more expensive in five to ten years.

We do not have a good independent mechanic so the idea that we can just drop it off at the dealer appeals to us.

Depending on what we choose it should cost around a thousand dollars. If we don't have a thousand dollars worth of repairs in ten years then we will still sort have won the bet in a different way because we had a reliable truck.

If we would be driving it a lot more miles the extended warranty would be a lot more expensive then we so we would not buy the extended warranty since the powertrain warranty already covers it for 5 years/60K miles and that covers a lot of the most expensive repairs.

OP
OP

numike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
there have been a lot of Maverick recalls

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I generally stay far away from extended warranties, but got one for the Maverick.

There is no denying the following about the Maverick:

1. Cheap vehicle/corners were cut in manufacturing.
2. Built during the pandemic.
3. It's a Ford.

So far, my regular warranty has covered a nonworking center gauge cluster screen, a battery, and an exhaust that was hitting the frame and needed to be replaced. That's thousands of dollars in parts and labor, and given Ford's lack of quality, I'm sure the list will continue to grow.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pay special attention to what mileage you choose, and be sure to add the lighting option (usually less than $50).

I bought an ESP 8 yr/48k for my 2017 C-Max. I am now 5 years in and have 25k miles on it. If I sell it after my Maverick arrives (within 10 days), someone will be able to have 3 year warranty transferred, for 23k more miles. Really adds to the value.

Since the Maverick will be used similarly, I'll buy a 10 yr/48k with $50 deductible for about $950. I plan to buy it just before I hit 12 months/12k miles, as, barring sporadic Ford price increases, buying it then costs the same as buying it day 1. Cheap piece of mind for 10 years...as an LED light assembly costs more to replace than the entire warranty. My 2020 Transit was $1700+ install...thank goodness that was under original warranty.

OP
OP

numike

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought one thru Granger. 100k/8yr. Being first model year kinda worried me. May not be needed but the deal seemed right. I got in on the 3K off MSRP so I figured why not. With the warranty I still saved a bundle.
You bought a warranty from a dealer in IOWA??

Sponsored

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You bought a warranty from a dealer in IOWA??
All it is (the real Ford ESP warranty) is a notation in Ford's computer as to what warranty you have and when it expires. You could buy it from an Alaska dealer. It is good at ALL Ford dealerships and Granger pretty much has been the cheapest as they sell for something like $50 over cost...not double the price which is likely your local dealer's first offer.

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pay special attention to what mileage you choose, and be sure to add the lighting option (usually less than $50).

I bought an ESP 8 yr/48k for my 2017 C-Max. I am now 5 years in and have 25k miles on it. If I sell it after my Maverick arrives (within 10 days), someone will be able to have 3 year warranty transferred, for 23k more miles. Really adds to the value.

Since the Maverick will be used similarly, I'll buy a 10 yr/48k with $50 deductible for about $950. I plan to buy it just before I hit 12 months/12k miles, as, barring sporadic Ford price increases, buying it then costs the same as buying it day 1. Cheap piece of mind for 10 years...as an LED light assembly costs more to replace than the entire warranty. My 2020 Transit was $1700+ install...thank goodness that was under original warranty.
I am going to do the same, probably 10 year/60k. $50 deductible, should cost under $1100.

Mav_RICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I plan to buy it just before I hit 12 months/12k miles, as, barring sporadic Ford price increases, buying it then costs the same as buying it day 1.
Price going up at Flood by 10% on March 2

"Prices good thru 02/28/2023. Please click on the price to purchase.

There will be a large price increase(+10%) on 3/2/2023 for most states."

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Price going up at Flood by 10% on March 2

"Prices good thru 02/28/2023. Please click on the price to purchase.

There will be a large price increase(+10%) on 3/2/2023 for most states."
Thanks for the warning. My ordered Maverick may or may not be mine by that date. Waiting on a truck for the last 350 miles from Denver! I'll be checking Granger to see if they are going up as well.

EDIT: It must be a Flood sales pitch. Granger is still about $50 less than Flood...and doesn't say anything about an increase on their page...yet.
Sponsored

Last edited: