First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm leaning toward the ExtraCare, 8 years 100k, $50 deductible.

Granger and Zeigler look the same after the discount code. Both are quoting $965.

I figure at 5 years past the original warranty, I might have occasion to use the ESP about 5 times. That would effectively cost $243 ($193 + 50) per service or $1,215 total. That is probably a fairly average service cost, but the benefit is protection against any major issues. I've definitely had $800+ service bills on cars less than 8 years old, so this would aim to prevent those.

Interestingly, the $100 deductible is only $50 less ($905), which means the same scenario above would cost $281 per service or $1,405 total. There is virtually no scenario (other than not using it at all) where the $100 deductible is worth saving $50 upfront.

The $0 deductible only makes sense if I think I will need 8 or more service visits in the 5 year period.

Now - are there any horror stories out there about people having their plans rejected over silly loopholes? Anything I need to watch out for?
The ESP isn't addressing minor servicing you get regularly. It's addressing bug events. These are typically a big event once or twice (if you don't have a lemon) not a series of small ones. Not saying your logic is flawed in getting one, but not sure the 5 uses at $250 makes sense.

If you're going to get an extended warranty it only makes sense to do it for log years and miles (like you are but for others reading and considering). A 4 or 5 year warranty means you're spending hundreds or thousands on a year or two of coverage.
Sponsored

jdiaz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XLT Lux 2000 Boxster 1970 VW Westy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why don't any of these plans call out coverage of the electric parking brake motors? That was an expensive repair on one of our past vehicles.

groovesocket

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OWWWCH !!!! I priced your plan from Grainger - Ford EXP -Premium Plan 0 Deductible - 60K miles - Total = 685.00. If you paid 2355 you got 2 years additional coverage for over 1000 per year under 60K

To item # 2, I financed at 1.9%, so the interest on $3925 is very small. I didn't want to pay for the warranties separately, or out of pocket, so that's why I chose to finance them along with the truck.

My whole point wasnt that ESP plans were a waste of money it was that dealerships try and rip people off which sadly you may realize.
Again, YMMV. I don't feel like I got ripped off. I have peace of mind knowing that I'll have $0 out of pocket costs on all my scheduled maintenance and service for the next 5 years on my truck. It was worth it to me. The plans will pay for themselves over time. I walked out the door paying under $30k for the truck and 2 ESP plans. That's a great deal no matter what.

Last edited:

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Again, YMMV. I don't feel like I got ripped off. I have peace of mind knowing that I'll have $0 out of pocket costs on all my maintenance and service for the next 5 years on my truck. It was worth it to me. The plans will pay for themselves over time. I walked out the door paying under $30k for the truck and 2 ESP plans. That's a great deal no matter what.
Dang dude I get you want to feel better about the finance manager having his way with you but you paid $1670.00 MORE for the exact same plan you could purchase separately with no interest financing. No one is saying dont get an extended warranty ( unless it is more than 2000.00 for two additional years ) It was not a good deal in so far as what the dealership marked it up, added it on to your contract and convinced you they gave you a good deal. Im sorry that happened to you.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have peace of mind knowing that I'll have $0 out of pocket costs on all my maintenance and service for the next 5 years on my truck.
That’s not true, You do realize that normal maintenance is not covered, correct? Oil and filter changes, air filters, spark plugs, tires, brake pads, etc. are not included.

What you basically purchased for ~3x the possible price is a Ford Warranty extension.

If you truly purchased the Ford ESP plan you could in theory cancel it, then repurchase in a few months at 1/3 of what you paid.

Good luck

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why don't any of these plans call out coverage of the electric parking brake motors? That was an expensive repair on one of our past vehicles.
It appears that parking brake assemblies are covered under the higher plans.

LongLivePeart2112

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My two cents on Ford ESP plans: If you buy a plan for $1000 in 2023, and only ever need an $800 repair a few years down the road, you likely still made out better when considering 2023 dollars vs 2029 (or whenever) dollars. And an $800 dollar repair is like 3 hours of shop time.

Anyways, if you are comparing plans, here they are in spreadsheet form, which is a little easier to see what each plan adds. The file has two sheets, each with a different layout.

Spreadsheet file: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/attachments/fordesp-xls.89006/

2121.jpg
Thank you for taking the time to put this together for us! Has spurred some informative chatter.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That’s not true, You do realize that normal maintenance is not covered, correct? Oil and filter changes, air filters, spark plugs, tires, brake pads, etc. are not included.

What you basically purchased for ~3x the possible price is a Ford Warranty extension.

If you truly purchased the Ford ESP plan you could in theory cancel it, then repurchase in a few months at 1/3 of what you paid.

Good luck

He bought an ESP Extended Warranty but also a Ford Premium Maintenance Plan which does cover oil changes. - https://fordprotect.ford.com/premium-maintenance-plan

Sadly thats basically a few oil changes. Brake pads last forever on hybrids and you can get some tire rotations......

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Again, YMMV. I don't feel like I got ripped off.
Seriously? So you believe paying $2355 for a $685 plan is not being ripped off?

Going forward, how can you ever trust this dealership that blatantly screwed you over so badly?

Sponsored

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seriously? So you believe paying $2355 for a $685 plan is not being ripped off?

Going forward, how can you ever trust this dealership that blatantly screwed you over so badly?
Ford Maverick Ford ESP Plans comparison in easy to read format (attached here) 1urrr

I wasn't going to pile on because dude got ripped off. But he can cancel it and rebuy at a reasonable amount still...

The service plan isn't no maintenance. It's oil, transmission fluids, filters, and tire rotation. For like $200. It's double what you would pay at the time.

The warranty is 4 times what it's worth. The warranty and service plans increased the cost of the vehicle like 12%. It's a horrible deal.

If you are going to get a warranty, it needs to be high year and mileage. That is how you get benefit by deferring the costs over additional time. Also the longer miles is when the actual costly stuff is likely to happen. Warranty items are likely at low miles and then over 75k-100k miles.

And a maintenance plan is never a good idea. They don't cover issues, that's warranty. They don't cover damage, that's incident. They just cover routine, at a significant premium. And its logic, why would Ford sell something they lose money on? What they cover is a known entity, so it will without a double be more than you just paying at the dealer.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

1urrrp.jpg

I wasn't going to pile on because dude got ripped off. But he can cancel it and rebuy at a reasonable amount still...

The service plan isn't no maintenance. It's oil, transmission fluids, filters, and tire rotation. For like $200. It's double what you would pay at the time.

The warranty is 4 times what it's worth. The warranty and service plans increased the cost of the vehicle like 12%. It's a horrible deal.

If you are going to get a warranty, it needs to be high year and mileage. That is how you get benefit by deferring the costs over additional time. Also the longer miles is when the actual costly stuff is likely to happen. Warranty items are likely at low miles and then over 75k-100k miles.

And a maintenance plan is never a good idea. They don't cover issues, that's warranty. They don't cover damage, that's incident. They just cover routine, at a significant premium. And its logic, why would Ford sell something they lose money on? What they cover is a known entity, so it will without a double be more than you just paying at the dealer.
All valid points - dont want to see him get piled on either - just hoping he cancels and re-purchases for major $$ savings.

danlanier

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears that your order is an unscheduled hybrid with constrained options. I would not spend too much time thinking about protection plans if I were you.
Considering a simple risk analysis and putting pen to paper, I was wondering the same thing as it relates to my order. A very basic XL, very few options above that. Other than powertrain, not sure anything else needs protection. With Hybrid though, are there areas that need attention that I might not have considered as dealing with a conventional vehicle?

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Considering a simple risk analysis and putting pen to paper, I was wondering the same thing as it relates to my order. A very basic XL, very few options above that. Other than powertrain, not sure anything else needs protection. With Hybrid though, are there areas that need attention that I might not have considered as dealing with a conventional vehicle?
In the hybrid you get 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, 5yr/60k powertrain, and 8yr/100k hybrid electrical. In an XL, that is low cost low feature, you gotta wonder how much the vehicle will be worth by the time those warranties run out, how likely it is, and how much you'd spend to fix it. In 5 years with 60K miles it's probably worth 15k. I'd use future value as one indicator.

Mine being a 40k vehicle, more skin in the game of things go bad in 7-8 years as I plan to keep it a decade and 150k miles plus.

AwHeck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid