First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I’ve read the European model of ordering online and cutting the dealer out is where companies might go next. Dealers should be working hard to keep their purpose but we will see.
This is happening whether dealerships today like it or not. I can't name the brand or get too specific, but one of my customer projects is helping design, build, and test a Just-In-Time Ordering system for their brands of vehicles. Right now, its being piloted in one zip code only, but they want to roll it out nationwide by MY24 models' release.

It works much like the Build & Price tools you see on most sites. You can configure all of your options, and you can click a 'Continue Order Process' button online. The site takes you through different stages for service plans and warranties, optional accessories, and then does your financing offers. The last step is to pay a deposit of at least 10% and submit copies/photos of your Driver's License and current insurance policy. Once ID, insurance and the deposit clears, your order goes into the system.

The goal is to re-center dealerships on service, and to build repeat business by building customer loyalty. And that starts by taking out the things that stress customers out: pushy sales, financial pressure and payment games, and even removing the hidden costs and being clear up front.

Honestly, seeing the way it works for the customer contract I work on now, I'd be more than happy to open my own dealership using this concept if I could afford to do so.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well it basically forces the dealer to sell at msrp to the customers order . No adding xyz plans no adding extra without the customers say so . They have to match what the order sheet says when you put in your order . You can change it , of course that means the dealers has to submit your changes and let ford know .
If enough people got on board the MTC would anoint a paper CEO, create MTC Incorporated, receive a FIN at fleet.ford.com and place thousands of order with Long McArthur, be priority 11 and get our Mavericks with a unique order guide, no ADM's and courtesy shipping.

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On June 16, 2021 I reserved my Maverick XL Supercrew on the Ford Site. Advised by Ford to contact Tamiami Ford.
I contacted Tamiami Ford regarding my reservation. Communicating with their sales representative Timothy Stack. I ordered my Maverick XL with co pilot and was assigned order number 7047 On August 2, 2021 quoting a net price of $22,185
During my conversation with Stack I specified that the vehicle was not to be modified in any way and he assure me it would't be. Further that the only added costs to my order would be tax and title as well as the processing fee.
As my estimated time of delivery in November was constantly changed I contacted my newly assigned agent Wayne Weis many times concerning the delays and possible delivery as I needed a car in January.
Finally on April 17' 2022 at 0930 in the morning my long awaited order received a vin 3FTTWB8E33NRA66434 was to be produced the week of May 9.
This was followed by another notice that the vehicle was in shipment on May 18, 2022
On Monday morning July 11, 2022 I received a call from my newly assigned sales agent that my Maverick was in and the window tinting looks good. I told him tinted windows in my home state were illegal and I instructed him to have them removed for that reason and the fact that I specified in my sales agreement with Timothy Stack.
I was subsequently contacted by Weis who refused to remove the tinting telling me he could get "$12,000 more for my truck on the lot.
I was then notified that Tamiami Ford was returning my deposit and check and that the truck was immediately sold for $7,800 more.
I hope you contacted Ford Customer Service Director and let them know about your experience!! That was some serious BS on that dealership!!

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is happening whether dealerships today like it or not. I can't name the brand or get too specific, but one of my customer projects is helping design, build, and test a Just-In-Time Ordering system for their brands of vehicles. Right now, its being piloted in one zip code only, but they want to roll it out nationwide by MY24 models' release.

It works much like the Build & Price tools you see on most sites. You can configure all of your options, and you can click a 'Continue Order Process' button online. The site takes you through different stages for service plans and warranties, optional accessories, and then does your financing offers. The last step is to pay a deposit of at least 10% and submit copies/photos of your Driver's License and current insurance policy. Once ID, insurance and the deposit clears, your order goes into the system.

The goal is to re-center dealerships on service, and to build repeat business by building customer loyalty. And that starts by taking out the things that stress customers out: pushy sales, financial pressure and payment games, and even removing the hidden costs and being clear up front.

Honestly, seeing the way it works for the customer contract I work on now, I'd be more than happy to open my own dealership using this concept if I could afford to do so.
The Scrum Master for this project has their work cut out. I's rather read the details of this concept instead of a list of questions on how it will be accepted by the general public.

A new vehicle version of Carvana/Carmax will have it's skeptics. Tesla has a direct sale model based on a narrow selection and a 3 to 5 month wait time. When Ford Model E is up and running in 2025 we'll see the kind of time and money parameters a customer will tolerate compared to years of waiting for first generation EV's.

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well it basically forces the dealer to sell at msrp to the customers order . No adding xyz plans no adding extra without the customers say so . They have to match what the order sheet says when you put in your order . You can change it , of course that means the dealers has to submit your changes and let ford know .
I understand your point but the selling price is between the buyer and the dealer. Not Ford. This would force the dealer to negotiate with a strong buyer to not lose the sale. But a strong salesman could still negotiate addons and "market adjustments" with a weak buyer. What percentage of buyers are strong negotiators. Not being a strong negotiator should not penalize you into over paying for a vehicle.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I understand your point but the selling price is between the buyer and the dealer. Not Ford. This would force the dealer to negotiate with a strong buyer to not lose the sale. But a strong salesman could still negotiate addons and "market adjustments" with a weak buyer. What percentage of buyers are strong negotiators. Not being a strong negotiator should not penalize you into over paying for a vehicle.
Of course a salesman can offer sales pitches that’s his job but he can’t force it upon you . What I’m saying. There’s been horror story’s of that happening and that’s why 80% matched orders have implemented . And other factors of course. Car buyers are getting smarter in general due to social media outlets of information and nurmerous educators you can find YouTube. The alternative would be one order no changes and whatever that customer ordered at first is what will be final order.. Gotta give people free will of choice when comes to spending.
Good example would be you order 23 Maverick with fx4 package yesterday. You just saw the tremor ad you want that instead. You already put your order in. You should be able change mind and say hey I want this now.

Mike S

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope you contacted Ford Customer Service Director and let them know about your experience!! That was some serious BS on that dealership!!
Better yet sue Tamaimi Ford in small claims court for damages!

Sponsored

RickD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT 500, 2013 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Markup over MSRP is nothing new, dealer held me over the coals back in 2007 for my GT500 that I had placed 1K deposit back in 2005 for his allocation. It was only when the car showed up that they wanted 20K over MSRP. We negotiated down to 12K still felt like I had gotten F---. But it was the car I had ordered and still have today.

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
Dealers are toast. Thats all I have to day about that.

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford has been super outspoken about this for a long time. It’s done absolutely F all and the scamming has only gotten worse. The dealerships know that they aren’t going to do Jack shit and they’re right. It sucks but is true.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yea that plant is still in Erie its jus5 under wabtech now.
My uncle is/was one of the upper plant managers in Erie. Don't know if he is still there after they changed or not.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am not sure how the name match policy is going to prevent price markups.
Dealers must sell 75% of ordered vehicles to the person who orders them. 80% in 2023. That means if dealers try to jack up prices promised at sticker and half their customers walk, they lose a months allocations. They can't have friends or customers order extra units in so they can jack them up for a walk in.
Sponsored