First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Personally, I love the idea of Ford offering a direct to consumer option. Once I order the vehicle, it would be mine and not the dealers which would mean no unnecessary add-ons or dealership marketing decals. Unfortunately, there is far too much greed and dishonesty among dealers today. I realize there are amazing dealers out there, especially those found on this forum, but there simply aren't enough of them. The pandemic has definitely played an impact on vehicle pricing and availability, but its time to make changes in how we purchase and order vehicles because there are too many people out there looking to take advantage of others during difficult times. It's time to put them on notice. Will any of this ever happen? With laws and contracts already in place, probably not anytime soon. Let's just hope Ford sticks to their promise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent news and hope it works.. Too much red tape and government control is just as bad or worse than not enough. Is the actual interview available anywhere that isn't behind a paywall?

OP
OP
Derek's Maverick

Derek's Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent news and hope it works.. Too much red tape and government control is just as bad or worse than not enough. Is the actual interview available anywhere that isn't behind a paywall?
I haven't been able to find the whole interview. I can add it if I do.

Milton Jeff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2 DR Wrangler (Current)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealers need love too :love:

Would you rather the employees of all dealerships were on unemployment instead? Back in the 1980s 1 in 7 jobs in the USA was related in some form to the US automobile industry. Most required no higher education and many were unionized with great wages and benefits. Now I believe it is less than 4 related jobs and people are constantly claiming there are no good Blue Collar jobs to support families anymore. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided

Would you rather the employees of all dealerships were on unemployment instead? Back in the 1980s 1 in 7 jobs in the USA was related in some form to the US automobile industry. Most required no higher education and many were unionized with great wages and benefits. Now I believe it is less than 4 related jobs and people are constantly claiming there are no good Blue Collar jobs to support families anymore. Be careful what you wish for.
Exactly, couple that with the fact that most people have no clue as to why legislation was put into effect as to why manufacturers can't sell directly to consumers because they are to lazy to do the research.

It's not a thing that just happened there was a very good reason why outlawing direct to consumers legislation was put into place and I guarantee you that if it's repealed automobile manufacturers will eventually go back to their slimy ways.....

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Wow, straight out of the NADA and UAW propaganda guides. It's barking up the wrong tree anyway. The real killer of auto jobs isn't gonna be direct sales, that's a laugh. The killer of 30% of auto industry jobs over the next decade will be the BEV. And ain't nobody gonna stop it.

We used to have a huge industry to clean up horse dung in cities. Pretty sure those workers retrained to do other things. Much more rewarding vocations.

Not pissing on the union here. I grew up in a union town in a union family. I saw the pros and cons of unions in person. And there are lots of pros, and lots of cons. Live in the south now, and the non-union workers here are living lives and raising families absolutely as great if not better than the union workers back home.

OP
OP
Derek's Maverick

Derek's Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I'm not saying end all dealerships, just allow for the purchase of new and even used vehicles to be optional for direct to consumer. Dealers need love but they also need to earn that love. If they are constantly taking advantage of people then yes go find another job.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, straight out of the NADA and UAW propaganda guides. It's barking up the wrong tree anyway. The real killer of auto jobs isn't gonna be direct sales, that's a laugh. The killer of 30% of auto industry jobs over the next decade will be the BEV. And ain't nobody gonna stop it.

We used to have a huge industry to clean up horse dung in cities. Pretty sure those workers retrained to do other things. Much more rewarding vocations.

Not pissing on the union here. I grew up in a union town in a union family. I saw the pros and cons of unions in person. And there are lots of pros, and lots of cons. Live in the south now, and the non-union workers here are living lives and raising families absolutely as great if not better than the union workers back home.
could not be further off the mark. I worked multiple hourly jobs in auto repair and related growing up. I also worked union jobs in a school district and also Aerospace/Defense and those experiences were horrible and basically only helped union officers get richer, protected lazy and incompetent people and added tons of cost and delay to products being built. I would never do it again...

I also completed a technical course offered at a local community college to get my license as a CA State Certified Smog Inspector. THAT was where I learned a lot of history on the auto industry and how it produced jobs in the USA. Our current president is a shill for the unions and you always hear him promising "good paying union jobs" everywhere he can injected into all govt policy- because they tend to funnel a lot of campaign donations to elected officials like protection money in a circle of quid pro quo.

My point was not that UNIONS=GOOD, but when people push for things that may sound good on the surface, there almost always are unintended consequences that happen to make a "solution" worse than the "problem" people thought they were fixing. "Progress" isn't always what it is made out to be.

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not saying end all dealerships, just allow for the purchase of new and even used vehicles to be optional for direct to consumer. Dealers need love but they also need to earn that love. If they are constantly taking advantage of people then yes go find another job.
that business model already exists: Carvana, Carmax, etc. buy and sell cars direct to consumer in many cases without actual brick and mortar stores. It's been interesting watching their model play out over the last couple years as it helped drive used car prices into the stratosphere but in many ways hurting the companies themselves and some close to bankruptcy because of it. There are also allegations of fraud and other shady practices resulting in lawsuits for problems with titles and other aspects of purchase. Seems like they can take advantage of people too? It's not exclusive to franchised dealerships...

nick112288

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where exactly does everyone think these dealerships are going to go?

You think the sale of used cars will no longer exist? The manufacturers going to start doing direct used sales along with new?

Dealerships will still exist as service centers and a place to buy a used vehicle.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Even if dealerships lost control over sale prices and add-ons and such, most of the staff work in the service department. Commission based sales should go the way of the dodo anyway, it's such an out dated way of doing things. Most dealers earn more profit from the service end of the business anyway.
Sponsored