Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So I just removed my tailgate pad after nearly 6 months of use (Raceface pad)

Zero wear or damage to the tailgate

Will be using my 1up on the Lariat when I pick it up tomorrow but will keep the pad just in case I need it
Sponsored

snek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Mav XLT, Oxford, 2.0EB, AWD, FX4, Lux, 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leveraged the ford 'maker' 2x6 rack idea that fits width-wise in the bed/ bedliner slot up
by the back cab wall. I tweaked this basic design so that is it secured with turn buckles that
hook on the bed 'D' rings below this bed slot, pad locks in place, and moved the fork mounting
fixtures so that this 'rack' will work equally well with my roadbike, x-country mountain bike, and my
hard-tail single speed trail cruiser bike. All said - I have to leave the tail gate open to the middle
setting as the bed is not long enough. Not really an issue - but hate when I hit a bump in the road
and sounds like my tailgate flew off :rolleyes:

I still love my mav overall - but with 1500 miles on it - I am starting to get rattles and questioning
the long-term durability of the 2.0EB and transmission as both seem (could just be me) to be not
as smooth as when I bought the truck :confused:. Changing oil this weekend and will see how I feel when I get to around 2k miles. Conflicted on this as I do not know what truck I would switch too if I did decide to part ways with the mav.

When I get some time later today - I will take some pictures of the rack I built and attach them to this thread

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For mountain bikes nothing beats a tail gate pad. I have been using tailgate pads for years and never use a hitch mount bike rack. In the bed I use the portable bike racks that are used to store bikes in the garage.

snek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I leveraged the ford 'maker' 2x6 rack idea that fits width-wise in the bed/ bedliner slot up
by the back cab wall. I tweaked this basic design so that is it secured with turn buckles that
hook on the bed 'D' rings below this bed slot, pad locks in place, and moved the fork mounting
fixtures so that this 'rack' will work equally well with my roadbike, x-country mountain bike, and my
hard-tail single speed trail cruiser bike. All said - I have to leave the tail gate open to the middle
setting as the bed is not long enough. Not really an issue - but hate when I hit a bump in the road
and sounds like my tailgate flew off :rolleyes:

I still love my mav overall - but with 1500 miles on it - I am starting to get rattles and questioning
the long-term durability of the 2.0EB and transmission as both seem (could just be me) to be not
as smooth as when I bought the truck :confused:. Changing oil this weekend and will see how I feel when I get to around 2k miles. Conflicted on this as I do not know what truck I would switch too if I did decide to part ways with the mav.

When I get some time later today - I will take some pictures of the rack I built and attach them to this thread
ok - pictures of my enhanced ford-designed 2x6 bike rack design. A bit over engineered - but I don't like my rack bouncing around in the bed when hitting bumps with a bike attached to it . The turnbuckles also are theft deterrents as you can thread a padlock through one and will be not
able loosen one up which keep it tightly in the groove. No much of a worry as I can count the Mavs I have seen on the road around San Jose on one hand :)

Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 20220804_190138
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 20220804_190131

Sponsored

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 1659668875189

Lmao this thread was a funny read.

kingranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ford.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For mountain bikes nothing beats a tail gate pad. I have been using tailgate pads for years and never use a hitch mount bike rack. In the bed I use the portable bike racks that are used to store bikes in the garage.
Agreed!
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 3 bikes loaded rear view

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did anyone see them close the bed with the bike in the back on the first edition at the Chicago show? I seem to recall pictures of a bike fitting with the wood rack in the back. My guess is that it would depend on where the bike fork mount is mounted on the 2x4. Seems like the bike can be positioned further back in the bed. If it is a difficult fit, nice to know there is a hitch for a bike rack. Of course you can always just lay a bike in the bed as well.
I haul my electric bike 3 times a week. I just put a 2 x 6 in the front slot & use tie-down like a motorcycle. If security is needed I fold the bike remove seat post & bars & close the trifold hard tonneau. Easy Peasy

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
ok - pictures of my enhanced ford-designed 2x6 bike rack design. A bit over engineered - but I don't like my rack bouncing around in the bed when hitting bumps with a bike attached to it . The turnbuckles also are theft deterrents as you can thread a padlock through one and will be not
able loosen one up which keep it tightly in the groove. No much of a worry as I can count the Mavs I have seen on the road around San Jose on one hand :)
I really like this mod to fords suggested design I was thinking of doing the same cause I did not like the idea of it possibly bouncing around either. Thanks for the idea!

LM42

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My bike cost 2k, rims are about 200 of that. No way in H would I transport a bike that way even if it were a huffy. You are asking for rim and tyre damage even disregarding tailgate damage.

remember, as air flows across the spokes it changes velocity.Any compressible fluid is then going to cause a pressure differential. (Tyres are going to start to rotate) which means not only impact and scratching from normal braking and acceleration but also rotary surface damage to both objects, and you do not want sidewall damage on your bike tyre.
This isn't at all true LOL. Me and my friends just did a Big Bear trip from AZ with $50K in bikes hauled just like that. And not only does it not hurt the bikes in any way, the high quality tailgate covers do not scratch the truck either.

Sponsored

papa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
no problem - front wheel off. the back tires touch the bed so i placed a piece of rubber mat and secured the bikes
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 1659712096858

snek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like this mod to fords suggested design I was thinking of doing the same cause I did not like the idea of it possibly bouncing around either. Thanks for the idea!
Thanks...the turnbuckles to the bed Drings and the lagbolts and washers to secure them are
all Home Cheapo items and may add $12 to the cost over the 2x6 and fork mounts. It was well
worth the extra cost - that rack and my bikes are extremely stable when driving . Have fun - ride (and drive) safe!

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed D13353E3-ED08-4BC6-8CBC-8ED678444B93
Ford Maverick Fitting bike in the bed 2B03DB19-6A5F-46CA-9A18-2F81E69FD60A

I didn’t do any modifications. I have an Aventon Aventure fat tire e-bike I haul in the back. I simply fold up my hard top trifold cover, lock it in place, and lift up the front tire, then the back, and tie it down with three straps.
At first, I bought a hitch mounted bike carrier from HF, but I didn’t like it. I returned it and just decided to load the bike as shown.

pgstick02

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1973 Super Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks...the turnbuckles to the bed Drings and the lagbolts and washers to secure them are
all Home Cheapo items and may add $12 to the cost over the 2x6 and fork mounts. It was well
worth the extra cost - that rack and my bikes are extremely stable when driving . Have fun - ride (and drive) safe!
Oh yeah that $12 dollar extra bit of hardware to anchor it down seems well worth the cost and time. Especially if going long distance I wouldn't want to see my beloved bike jostling side to side. Once again great modification. I totally took notes for when my maverick arrives.

webpdq

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge dakota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
D13353E3-ED08-4BC6-8CBC-8ED678444B93.jpeg
2B03DB19-6A5F-46CA-9A18-2F81E69FD60A.jpeg

I didn’t do any modifications. I have an Aventon Aventure fat tire e-bike I haul in the back. I simply fold up my hard top trifold cover, lock it in place, and lift up the front tire, then the back, and tie it down with three straps.
At first, I bought a hitch mounted bike carrier from HF, but I didn’t like it. I returned it and just decided to load the bike as shown.
That looks great. I am waiting to order my 2023 Mav. I have an aventon step thru that I want to fit in the bed with some luggage. I was wondering if you could do me a favor and shoot me the interior bed measurement from the end of the wheel wells to the tail gate. I am guessing about 20"? Thanks!!!
Sponsored