First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I will vote for the "e-axle" due to a high voltage wiring harness (on my hybrid Fe lariat) with a plug where there is room for a motor. The down stream wire out of the plug returns towards the front of truck. I see these plugs separated and plugged into motor controller and the return used for Regen braking, but who actually knows.
IMG_20220721_191015.jpg
Is that under the truck!?
Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that under the truck!?
Yes drivers side just in front of the black "tie down?". It is just under the center bed cross support which crosses bed near the rear wheel center line. Cannot tell much but on right most plug which is the assumed "return" line there are 2 red one black and one white wires that are larger. Don't know how much HV current they could carry? Was just questioning this as it has the orange wrapping.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes drivers side just in front of the black "tie down?". It is just under the center bed cross support which crosses bed near the rear wheel center line. Cannot tell much but on right most plug which is the assumed "return" line there are 2 red one black and one white wires that are larger. Don't know how much HV current they could carry? Was just questioning this as it has the orange wrapping.
Thanks, that is definitely getting a shrink wrap cover đź’¦

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is just under the center bed cross support which crosses bed near the rear wheel center line. .... orange .....
Those might feed the 120v outlet in the bed, amongst other things like bed lights, tail lights, trailer hookup, etc. 120v is high enough to earn "orange". I see them here, at the 14:04 point:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Those might feed the 120v outlet in the bed, amongst other things like bed lights, tail lights, trailer hookup, etc. 120v is high enough to earn "orange". I see them here, at the 14:04 point:
I should Get my hybrid XLT LUX in a couple weeks and will see what it looks like

Sponsored

maverickdubs

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i just changed oil in bolt PTU and RDU.
PTU oil was look brand new at (42000 km) i use what dealer give me 75w85 by the number of ford dealer and it take less than 1 liter.
For the RDU, oil was almost black with metal ''chip'' on magnet drain plug. I use 75w bla,bla,bla again by the number of ford dealer again less than 1 liter . here in Québec this oil is very expensive 120.00$ cad for 75w for 1 liter for rear diff and 50.00$ cad for 1 liter 75w85 for PTU.
I think Ford doing a good job with the heat over the PTU, integrate manifold on a Maverick it's very good for the PTU. BUUUUTTTT for RDU (rear diff) it was unbelivable how was the dirty oil in it ????? maybe because the clutch pack inside th'is unit RDU 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

907Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 RAM 2500 Cummins, 23 Maverick XLT Hybrid???
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've seen what the V6 AWD PTUs can do to their gear oil left unchanged and it ain't pretty.
Can confirm. I remember the first time I did it on the wife’s Explorer. It was nasty.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So... 75w85 or 140? I live in Montana... 140 seems extreme.

Last edited:

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alright, I can't find any "correct" info. I've looked for hours. The owners manual does redirect to that site OP shared and I still can't find the page they linked if I navigate starting with any specific Maverick settings. The only way I can find it is if I google "2022 ford maverick ecoboost rear differential fluid" and it comes up here:

Ford Maverick First Power Transfer Unit (PTU) fluid service done - results & photos Capture.PNG

Then, inside that link, there is no way to navigate to confirm it's for the Maverick. In fact, if I hit the bottom buttons forward or backward to navigate within the site - it starts showing Ford Fusion.

I'd really like some confirmation before I go out and buy fluids. I can't find anything at all in the physical manual.

Very annoying. Especially because that site specifies for a totally different rear dif fluid, and others on this forum have mentioned the rear dif specifies for the same fluid as the PTU. So which is it?

Last edited:
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The RR Diff is 75w with no additional additives, the PTU is 75w-85 also with no additional additives. One qt. of each for a D&R. I would not use a heavier weight in a colder climate.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The RR Diff is 75w with no additional additives, the PTU is 75w-85 also with no additional additives. One qt. of each for a D&R. I would not use a heavier weight in a colder climate.
Thanks! I confirmed it with both Napa (not the best source lol) and the dealer. The thread that lists two separate part numbers is the correct information (as you stated above). Here is a link to that thread for all who wonder into this one:

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/rear-fx4-differential-fluid.30126/

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Spark, Toyota Prius, 1973 F100
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since I was changing my engine oil at 22,000 I decided to wait the extra 2,000 and do the PTU then also.

I was advised to change the PTU fluid every 20-30,000mi and now I know why. There was quite a bit of metallic particles in the gear oil.

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

Sorry about the reflection.. Best pics I could get.. I also cleaned off the drain plug and here's what I got on the rag:

IMG_4395.jpeg

The PTU service itself was a breeze. I didn't take pics of the drain and fill plugs. The fill plug wasn't very photogenic..

The fill plug is on the passenger side of the PTU and is a 8mm hex. I always remove the fill plug first. The drain plug is just a standard 3/8" ratchet. You may want to use a 3" extension on the ratchet. I drained the PTU, then put a few pumps of the new gear oil through from the fill hole, to flush it a little bit. It may not have been necessary, but it made me feel better.

After reinstalling the drain plug, I filled it with Amsoil 75w-140 Severe Gear oil. I only got about 10 oz out of it, but it took a full 16oz to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole.

I hope this helps some of you.. This was a super easy service and one that most anyone can do.. It will also help extend the life of your PTU.
Has anyone let Ford know about the shortage of oil people are finding in their PTU’s?

Sjurgen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Spark, Toyota Prius, 1973 F100
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good info, thanks for sharing! Seems way easier than my wife's RDX, which was a total PITA!

Must have been under-filled from the assembly line..... not sure how else you get 10 oz out, and 16 back in! What is the capacity spec?

Given what you found, I'll probably change mine at the first oil change.
No, change the Ptu oil as soon as you take delivery from the dealer. 10 ounces short is not good.
Sponsored