Sponsored

Does living in a hot climate shorten the battery life?

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I saw a video talking about litium ion battery life and they brought up the owners manual for the Nissan Leaf on caring for your battery.

The battery care requirements they list are comical and impossible to follow, (see below). He said they have no active battery cooling which could shorten battery life if you live in an extreme climate.

But I wondered if living in a hot climate would shorten the Mavericks battery life. I keep cars for a long time and would like the battery to last well past the warranty.

Ford Maverick Does living in a hot climate shorten the battery life? Screenshot_20211017-182322_Drive
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Leaf uses an air cooled battery. Maverick is liquid cooled. That's why there are two coolant reservoirs under the hood. Liquid cooling is far superior.

2022 Ford Maverick Tech Specs

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in the South. I park in my driveway. It gets hot. I sold my first hybrid at 130,000 miles. New owner put another 40-50k on it before selling it. Same hybrid battery. My current hybrid is at 66k+. Same hybrid battery. I'm not worried about the Maverick hybrid battery.

OP
OP
GTBuzz

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Leaf uses an air cooled battery. Maverick is liquid cooled. That's why there are two coolant reservoirs under the hood. Liquid cooling is far superior.

2022 Ford Maverick Tech Specs
Thanks for the info, didn't know the Maverick was liquid cooled. Thought it might be air cooled due to smaller battery and no fast charging. This will be my first Hybrid and was wondering about heat management for batteries.

I live in the South. I park in my driveway. It gets hot. I sold my first hybrid at 130,000 miles. New owner put another 40-50k on it before selling it. Same hybrid battery. My current hybrid is at 66k+. Same hybrid battery. I'm not worried about the Maverick hybrid battery.
Good to know. I'm almost in Florida and the heat here is tough on things. Now that I see liquid cooled I feel better about it.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ditto to NewBernWolf, really no need to worry about heat and hybrid batteries too much. I have owned an 2008 Escape hybrid and traded it in for a 2013 C Max hybrid (plus owned a 2011 Leaf). The real problem is with pure electric vehicles. We lost 50% of the battery in the Leaf due to the heat since it was air cooled (google; heat and battery degradation) and had the car bought back. Both my Ford hybrids were/are air cooled and yes there has been some degradation. The C Max has gone from new with 40mpg avg. to 37mpg avg. (now at 75,000 miles). And there is a variance between the summer mpgs and winter mpgs here in the Palm Springs area. However, in your area I don't think you will get hot enough to notice much of a difference.

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our summer was a little warmer than usual, but not record-breaking. The highest temperature was 113 degrees. On the other hand, our winters are pretty mild.

I hope that liquid cooling for the battery is ready for a workout.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a video talking about litium ion battery life and they brought up the owners manual for the Nissan Leaf on caring for your battery.

But I wondered if living in a hot climate would shorten the Mavericks battery life. I keep cars for a long time and would like the battery to last well past the warranty.
The Leaf is a badly designed vehicle for it's HV battery temperature management. The 2018+ Nissan Leaf does not heat or cool the HV battery. It only uses the car's cabin climate features I.E. the heater or AC for battery heating/cooling.

This is the video your are referring to:

The Ford Maverick Hybrid has a liquid cooling system for the HV battery. Reviews have stated the HV battery is liquid cooled.

I also know this from the pictures I took of the Hybrid Engine at the Texas State Fair. There is a separate cooling loop for the HV battery, DC-to-DC converter, Inverter and Electric Motors. This loop ends with a seperate section on the radiator for air cooling the loop. I also saw that there if an AC line going to the loop to help if additional cooling is required.

There are a number of fuses listed for heating in the manual so we should expect that if the line needs to be heated (if it is very cold) that there probably is an aux heater for the line along with the ICE providing heating if needed.

Ford knows what they are doing in keeping the HV battery in it's optimal temperature range.

Last edited:

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our summer was a little warmer than usual, but not record-breaking. The highest temperature was 113 degrees. On the other hand, our winters are pretty mild.

Ford has a couple proving grounds in Arizona to test in the heat, sun and dirt

OP
OP
GTBuzz

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Leaf is an absolute bad designed vehicle for it's HV battery management. The 2018+ Nissan Leaf does not heat or cool the HV battery. It only uses cabin climate features as in the cars heater or AC of the car for battery heating/cooling.

This is the video your are referring to:

The Ford Maverick Hybrid has a liquid cooling system for the HV battery. Reviews have stated the HV battery is liquid cooled.

I also know this from the pictures I took of the Hybrid Engine at the Texas State Fair. There is a separate cooling loop for the HV battery, DC-to-DC converter, Inverter and Electric Motors. This loop ends with a seperate section on the radiator for air cooling.

I also saw that there is an AC line going to the loop to help if additional cooling is required.

There are a number of fuses listed for heating in the manual so we should expect that if the line needs to be heated (if it is very cold) that there probably is an aux heater for the line along with the ICE providing heating is needed.

Ford knows what they are doing to extend the life of the HV battery.

Yes, that is the video I watched, he had a great one explaining a disassembled eCVT that led me to this cooling one.

Does the Maverick monitor the batteries and heat or cool while parked? In the video he mentioned the EVs should be monitoring the batteries at all times even parked and keeping them at optimal temp for longevity. While not an EV, we have the same battery type

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It does shorten the oil change to 3k mile..
Capture+_2021-10-17-18-18-53.png
Although this may be the recommended intervals, I know that I was doing every 5,000 miles in my 2008 Escape hybrid and switched to every 10,000 miles in my 2013 C Max. Granted, at 75,000 miles for an 8 year old car no one would say I have been hard on it, but it's amazing how bullet proof I have found 13 years of driving the 2.5 Atkins engine to be. Car sits outside (one car garage and the wife's car gets the nod) and last year a whole month above 110 during the day and nights didn't fall below 90.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, that is the video I watched, he had a great one explaining a disassembled eCVT that led me to this cooling one.

Does the Maverick monitor the batteries and heat or cool while parked? In the video he mentioned the EVs should be monitoring the batteries at all times even parked and keeping them at optimal temp for longevity. While not an EV, we have the same battery type
No I don't believe that the Maverick monitors the batteries while parked and powered off?

This article warns: Keep hybrid, EV batteries away from paint booths hotter than 140 F
Since outside temps don't reach that high I doubt parking the Maverick outside will be any problem.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...ries-away-from-paint-booths-hotter-than-140-f

This article talks about: Ford Uses Innovative Liquid-Cooled Battery System

https://www.yorkford.com/press-releases/ford-liquid-cooled-battery.htm

From the Article:

Battery thermal management in action:

While air-cooling methods work well for many of today's smaller car battery systems, the larger, more complex lithium-ion battery technology powering Ford's all-electric vehicles calls for an aggressive thermal management system.

An active liquid system heats or chills a coolant before pumping it through the battery cooling system. This loop regulates temperature throughout the system against external conditions.

On hot days, chilled water absorbs heat from the batteries, dispersing it through a radiator before pumping it through the chiller again. On cold days, heated water warms the batteries, gradually bringing the system's temperature to a level that allows it to efficiently accept charge energy and provide enough discharge power for expected vehicle performance.

"Extreme temperatures impact a battery's life and performance, making it crucial to have an effective cooling and heating system to regulate temperature for these demanding applications," said Anand Sankaran, Ford executive technical leader, Energy Storage and HV Systems.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I have not had a hybrid ever. Ordered one just like yours except without 360 option, sorry to say but my first thought reading that was "I hope cactus gray XLT holdup is the 360". I ordered 8/28/2021. I don't think you have to worry at all about ambient temperature as they have gone way way out on battery temperature control. Both heating as well as cooling. Did research on lithium ion batteries results were for batteries in general not specific brands/users. Read that when an air cooled 1.5(1.6?) Was replaced with liquid cooled 1.1 kw it would accept a faster charge rate and hold more as it's internal temperature increased (more than the 1.5 battery) they shut off the study at 140 because (if I remember right) the battery at 170-175 degrees would self destruct. Do not know what mavericks battery operating temperature range is but since radiator cooling is backed up by AC I am not worried. Would like to see list of 20 or so temps on a selectable screen but certainly am sure it won't be available. If not because of chip shortage but because of fear of creating one. (Couldn't resist).

OP
OP
GTBuzz

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This article talks about: Ford Uses Innovative Liquid-Cooled Battery System

https://www.yorkford.com/press-releases/ford-liquid-cooled-battery.htm

From the Article:

Battery thermal management in action:

While air-cooling methods work well for many of today's smaller car battery systems, the larger, more complex lithium-ion battery technology powering Ford's all-electric vehicles calls for an aggressive thermal management system.

An active liquid system heats or chills a coolant before pumping it through the battery cooling system. This loop regulates temperature throughout the system against external conditions.
We get lots of 100 degree days. Good thing the Maverick has a liquid cooling system.

I just found this hybrid tech vid, they specifically mention living in south is harder on batteries and having liquid cooling is superior for this environment. They show the Ford Escape liquid system as an example.

Sponsored

Last edited: