Sponsored

Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick?

Guido

First Name
Guido
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Are you implying that Maverick's optioned with the tow package have the welded on reinforcement anchors that so far we know are only on the FX4 package (Bracket that the end of the hook anchors into). I know Mr Boom showed that they did not exist on his truck but his truck also was not optioned with the tow package from the factory.
I have the FX4 but not the tow package. My truck has the front tow hooks. I personally can't speak for a truck with just a tow package and no FX4. I was just going by the various Maverick videos on YouTube.
Sponsored

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I have the FX4 but not the tow package. My truck has the front tow hooks. I personally can't speak for a truck with just a tow package and no FX4. I was just going by the various Maverick videos on YouTube.
Your comment was the first I had seen implying this but I believe that only the FX4 gets the brackets welded to the frame for the tow hooks to anchor into and not the tow package.

hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a valid point to be prepared for in snow country. Two main scenarios I suppose:
1. You're off the road with the rear of the truck being the best recovery point. In which case hope you have ordered your 2.0EB AWD with a hitch receiver, and can use appropriate shackle/recovery strap options as others have mentioned.
car-ditch-winter-2.jpg

2. You're stuck off the road with the FRONT of the truck being the best recovery point. In that case, without front tow hooks (actually recovery hooks), from the owners manual (page 284-285) there may be a work-around.
car-stuck-in-snow1.jpeg

Ford calls them winching holes (page 285), I have no idea if they're just holes in the unibody frame that you're supposed to attach hook-type straps to, or if there's a threaded portion. I'm guessing probably just holes - somebody at the next Maverick in-person review needs to crawl up under the front end and verify what the heck is really going on there.
recovery.JPG
Thanks for your sharing. However, I cannot understand how to connect recovery straps into "winching holes" without any chains or metal hook ends. Can anyone give me a tip?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Other than taking on trip with you and RV no. Unless you get awd and lift kit and mod it to make it to become off roading maverick with off road tires. I don't see the point. Maybe if you live back east and get a tons snow blizzards?

firewater49

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT AWD 4K Tow
Thanks for your sharing. However, I cannot understand how to connect recovery straps into "winching holes" without any chains or metal hook ends. Can anyone give me a tip?
So I was wondering this as well, and tried and bought quite a few different tow straps and hooks that just didn’t work. Those holes are actually fairly small, and most hooks won’t fit. After trial and error I eventually found something reasonable and it’s cheap at $6. Now for disclaimers, I am not responsible for however you use this and any damage that may occur of course. I would never recommend towing with this or even doing an emergency recovery as is. I plan to modify the strap by removing the short end from the ratcheting mechanism, and then using a recovery strap from there. Blankets over other metal pieces (the hooks) as possible would be recommended too. Furthermore, this has a fairly low break strength of ~2,000lbs, where most tow straps have at least 10,000lbs. Using two of these straps with one going to each hole is an option to double the strength so long as both lines are taught. Even still, it’s going to have to be a very soft pull. Keep in mind the j hooks don’t have a safety clip either, so they could fall out and they are made of a coated metal…

All that being said, these J-hooks do fit inside the winching holes quite well, and generally don’t fall out immediately when the line is not taught. I haven’t tried a recovery with these yet, so I’m not sure how it would go, but I have them underneath the backseat just in case.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...rap-with-J-Hook-and-Mash-Bag-FH0874/206802274

Final thought: there is actually another strap at Home Depot from husky that’s 2in wide and much stronger. I didn’t try it because I’m fairly confident the hook is too big, but if someone wants to try it that’s an option as well.

Sponsored

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I am waiting for my Maverick, found this old thread on tow hooks. I am sure someone will eventually come out with a kit that sandwiches the unibody. I had this on an older jeep Cherokee that was unibody and it never let me down...attached photo was me trying things I shouldn't be trying
Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? rustys-tow-hook-kit-xj-613951_1024x768_crop_center

Ford Maverick Does anyone else want front tow hooks on their Maverick? SINKINGXJ.JPG

I wouldnt recommend using those straps or hooks, I did see that winching hole but I wonder how well its reinforced, maybe its just used for a tow rope, metal hooks may rip right through it.

So I was wondering this as well, and tried and bought quite a few different tow straps and hooks that just didn’t work. Those holes are actually fairly small, and most hooks won’t fit. After trial and error I eventually found something reasonable and it’s cheap at $6. Now for disclaimers, I am not responsible for however you use this and any damage that may occur of course. I would never recommend towing with this or even doing an emergency recovery as is. I plan to modify the strap by removing the short end from the ratcheting mechanism, and then using a recovery strap from there. Blankets over other metal pieces (the hooks) as possible would be recommended too. Furthermore, this has a fairly low break strength of ~2,000lbs, where most tow straps have at least 10,000lbs. Using two of these straps with one going to each hole is an option to double the strength so long as both lines are taught. Even still, it’s going to have to be a very soft pull. Keep in mind the j hooks don’t have a safety clip either, so they could fall out and they are made of a coated metal…

All that being said, these J-hooks do fit inside the winching holes quite well, and generally don’t fall out immediately when the line is not taught. I haven’t tried a recovery with these yet, so I’m not sure how it would go, but I have them underneath the backseat just in case.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...rap-with-J-Hook-and-Mash-Bag-FH0874/206802274

Final thought: there is actually another strap at Home Depot from husky that’s 2in wide and much stronger. I didn’t try it because I’m fairly confident the hook is too big, but if someone wants to try it that’s an option as well.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you bought the 4x4 option being the person for whom the addage "4WD just gets you stuck farther away" applies then sure you probably should have it. Mount a Hi-Lift in the flex bed, too. If you got it to help at the boat dock or in snow (which is the right reason to get this truck in 4WD) you really don't need this.

oilman300

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m ordered my Wife an XLT AWD with The Luxury Package, Ford360 and a bunch of other stuff BUT we live in snow country and I like having front tow hooks (they’re on my F-150 STX and other 150’s and Jeep Wranglers I’ve owned ). I’m sure we can get them but it looks like you need to cut the front bumper to do it and that’s not going to look pretty either. What are you thinking and do you think you want/need them too?
Unless you get the FX4 package, there is no place to mount a tow hook to the unibody. The Fx4 has an additional piece welded to the structure to attach the tow hooks.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m ordered my Wife an XLT AWD with The Luxury Package, Ford360 and a bunch of other stuff BUT we live in snow country and I like having front tow hooks (they’re on my F-150 STX and other 150’s and Jeep Wranglers I’ve owned ). I’m sure we can get them but it looks like you need to cut the front bumper to do it and that’s not going to look pretty either. What are you thinking and do you think you want/need them too?
Yes another one of those items that should be standard no matter the trim level

Sponsored

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

bjwnet397

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regarding factory available items such as tow hooks, cruise control, floor liners, and other nice to have options, just bite the bullet and order the packages up front that include them. Order what you need, order what you want up front. My observation is that most aftermarket accessories either cost just a much or more than factory available options.
Yes I do, any leads?

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want functional Factory type FX4 front tow hooks on a non-FX4 trim, forget about it. There large are extra welded pieces to attach the hooks that are not included without that package. Literally nothing behind the bumper.

Who would of thought the packages make structural differences as it seems like many build options for a factory. I got em but will I ever use them?
That is EXACTLY correct. There’s more involved the cutting out the existing bumper or changing the valance.
ONLY the FX4 has provisions to anchor the hooks. This would fall into the “anything’s possible” category.
Unless you have time and tremendous skill, you’ll need a small pile of cash

Unless there’s an aftermarket solution,
the rear hook is the answer
Sponsored