clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Disclaimer: I'm a DIY level user not a professional so please take anything I say with a grain of salt and correct me if I've made any errors.

I finally finished my dashcam hardwiring project in the 2022 Ford Maverick. I'm using the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo front+rear dashcam. This process can apply to many other vehicles and dashcams as well. Long video but I wanted to capture some of the various pitfalls as I was going through it. I ran a 18ga 3-wire cable from the fuse box to the cavity above the dome lights/moonroof switch so that I could also easily tap that power for another device (probably auto dimming mirror) in the future when I get around to it. If you only need to wire a dashcam, then you can use the hardwiring kit without the extra 18ga or 16ga power line, that was just my personal desire.
-----

-----

Trim Removal Kit:

Viofo A129 Pro Duo (Front 4k 30fps + Rear 1080p 30fps) Dashcam:

Viofo hardwire kit:

Micro3 Fuse Tap:

Micro2 Fuse Tap:

Extra Micro3 fuses:

Extra Micro2 fuses:

18ga 3-wire Solid Copper Thermostat cable:
(by the foot at home depot, I got 15ft)

18ga 3-wire stranded:

Alternate option 16ga 3-wire stranded cable if you want to power more devices on a 7.5 or 10 amp fuse:

-----

Video about fuse tap orientation:

Video about dome light trim removal:
Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow, that was an Awesome and Detailed video instruction. I tip my hat to you young fella. This old A@# could never do that. Impressive.

BB0

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Incredible video and I appreciate the detail you put into the post including references and material! Fantastic work!

hunterdon1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good work, but I am old and i am just going to let my Ford dealer install it for me. That is what I get paid the big bucks in retirement for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good work, but I am old and i am just going to let my Ford dealer install it for me. That is what I get paid the big bucks in retirement for.
🥳 Happy Retirement to you. What dash cam are you going for? The ford licensed one seems very low resolution unfortunately.

Rusty Nutts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ram 2500, 2017 Indian Roadmaster, 2019 Ural
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Rentman1225

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forde Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for the video and all the links. :)

hunterdon1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
🥳 Happy Retirement to you. What dash cam are you going for? The ford licensed one seems very low resolution unfortunately.
Thanks. I was able to retire at age 51 and never looked back. I turn 72 by the time I get the maverick. I used to do all my own auto repair. Now I just pay an arm and a leg for having someone else do it. I didn't investigate any of the dash cams. May regret it but I am going with the ford dash cam. Won't be the first mistake I have made in life.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I was able to retire at age 51 and never looked back. I turn 72 by the time I get the maverick. I used to do all my own auto repair. Now I just pay an arm and a leg for having someone else do it. I didn't investigate any of the dash cams. May regret it but I am going with the ford dash cam. Won't be the first mistake I have made in life.
Better to have any dashcam than no dashcam at all!

Sponsored

jimmyu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kind of off topic, but do any cars have a dash cam as an available option from the factory? It seems like manufacturers are leaving money on the table but not offering it as an option. I wouldn’t even mind a USB port by the mirror to power one without a long wire to 12V outlet or running wires through the headliner.

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kind of off topic, but do any cars have a dash cam as an available option from the factory? It seems like manufacturers are leaving money on the table but not offering it as an option. I wouldn’t even mind a USB port by the mirror to power one without a long wire to 12V outlet or running wires through the headliner.
I only know of Tesla with integrated cameras, they have a lot of them so I'm not sure if they are doing double-duty as security and driving analysis or if they are discrete cameras for each purpose. I'm guessing there are some other fringe models of cars, maybe some luxury vehicles that have them.

I'm also not sure why this hasn't been offered as an OEM option on vehicles really. Maybe camera technology like the sensors are changing fast enough that OEM options were expected to be outdated relatively quickly. Or maybe hardware and software support is outside their design wheelhouses. I dunno, that's a great question though and I'm sure there are some articles online discussing it. I'll see what I can find, I'm curious too.

TomW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mazda 6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks - this is great!

Is anyone considering using a rear dashcam that doubles as a rearview mirror replacement? I think you can get ones with the screen that fits over the existing mirror or that replaces the mirror itself.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good on you!

How bout I save you a few hundo and we split the proceeds? Buy a better one for cheaper and have a local body shop install it.

I take Venmo, PayPal and Zelle......... :)

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks - this is great!

Is anyone considering using a rear dashcam that doubles as a rearview mirror replacement? I think you can get ones with the screen that fits over the existing mirror or that replaces the mirror itself.
Sponsored