son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw a chart where a head wind of 15 meters/sec was 2.45 HP and at same atmospheric pressure and temperature a head wind of 35 m/s it was 31.01 HP.
Head winds over 20 are disastrous and for electric vehicles, more so, or maybe the same..I know. Didn't fill up and ran into 25 mph headwinds and almost ran out of gas.

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slippery or Eco much better on highway. Just drove 1300 miles on interstate at 73-74 cruise and did 42+
I drove for 6 hours on I 25 south from Denver to NM. The speed limit is 75 so I started my drive with 85 dialed into the cruise control. After I saw the first trooper I dialed back to 80 and the MPG increase was so dramatic I finished my trip at 80 MPH. Average MPG was 42+ and of course I never needed to stop for gas.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is truly amazing how a few mph makes such a difference in mpg. My wife and I argue over this all the time. If you make a 300 mile trip at 85 mph vs a 300 mile trip at 80 mph, you get there a whopping 12 min quicker. It really gets crazy on short trips where you only save 2 min or so, yet risk tickets and burn more gas.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Head winds over 20 are disastrous and for electric vehicles, more so, or maybe the same..I know. Didn't fill up and ran into 25 mph headwinds and almost ran out of gas.
35m/s is close to 78.9 mph so adding driving into the wind at 85 mph would take over twice the horsepower just to over come wind resistance so somewhere around 75 horsepower. Mpg gets nasty really quick.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
33-35mpg at 85mph is what I get.

I prefer going 65-75mph to get around 38-40mpg.
I got ~38 mpg (36 calc’d the old way) on 1,500 trip from no GA to so FL and back. Elevation drop and gain 1,200 ft. 70 mph mostly on cruise. Was a bit disappointed, but maybe my result was not so bad.

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drove for 6 hours on I 25 south from Denver to NM. The speed limit is 75 so I started my drive with 85 dialed into the cruise control. After I saw the first trooper I dialed back to 80 and the MPG increase was so dramatic I finished my trip at 80 MPH. Average MPG was 42+ and of course I never needed to stop for gas.
Net gain or drop in elevation? Hilly (mountainous), I think. Lots of battery regen on the down hills (wi more electric available for hybrid in the up hills)? 42+ sounds real good.

pawalsh610

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick 1st Edition Lariat, Mazda 2
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Net gain or drop in elevation? Hilly (mountainous), I think. Lots of battery regen on the down hills (wi more electric available for hybrid in the up hills)? 42+ sounds real good.
Yes, altitude/hills are a factor. The trip I make every few months is Denver to Breckinridge. On the 90 miles up I enjoy the power and drive 80+ mph which gives me 32mpg. Coming down I get 56mpg so the average is 44mpg. I am very happy with that mpg and the range of +400 miles means I never need to get gas in the mountains.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I truly thought this post was some kind of bit .......aka a joke when I read the title.

I pound the Texas highways at 85 all the time. 33 MPG (which I get) is flipping fantastic mileage. What's to complain about?

Oh, the price of gas. I wonder if there was a way we could reduce the price of gas.
Wait till all the other suckers get full electric vehicles.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wait till all the other suckers get full electric vehicles.
Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Of the early electric converting people in California, I understand that 20 percent switched back to gasoline. Maybe this is why they banned future sales of gasoline powered cars. The attraction of cheap recharging has mostly evaporated already and local governments are starting to tax electricity used to recharge vehicles. The infrastructure is still a long way from making electric cars a convenient and economically viable alternative for most people.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Of the early electric converting people in California, I understand that 20 percent switched back to gasoline. Maybe this is why they banned future sales of gasoline powered cars. The attraction of cheap recharging has mostly evaporated already and local governments are starting to tax electricity used to recharge vehicles. The infrastructure is still a long way from making electric cars a convenient and economically viable alternative for most people.
Yup, people are realizing that if you want to park in your driveway or in front of your house or apartment then you're not charging causing range anxiety, promised range is WAY less than what people are seeing in the real world which is a whopping 30% less than advertised, we're now starting to see some of the charging stations that were new are broken and out of repair, the rates when charging away from home went from free to way more expensive than at home (typically more expensive than gasoline would have been), and there's more competition for charging spots and in fact its getting so bad that people are even shooting each other over them:

That fuel economy at that speed is mind blowing good BTW, as pickups usually aren't very aerodynamic. I used to hit cruise control on my Ram 1500 at 60mph to get good economy.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, people are realizing that if you want to park in your driveway or in front of your house or apartment then you're not charging causing range anxiety, promised range is WAY less than what people are seeing in the real world which is a whopping 30% less than advertised, we're now starting to see some of the charging stations that were new are broken and out of repair, the rates when charging away from home went from free to way more expensive than at home (typically more expensive than gasoline would have been), and there's more competition for charging spots and in fact its getting so bad that people are even shooting each other over them:

That fuel economy at that speed is mind blowing good BTW, as pickups usually aren't very aerodynamic. I used to hit cruise control on my Ram 1500 at 60mph to get good economy.
Not our experience at all in Oregon. Only one time and it was one out of 15 chargers and it was out for 1 day. We have owned a Model 3 for for 2 years and have traveled all over the state with absoultly no problems at Tesla charge stations. 51 new chargers just up and running on Interstate 5 above Calif. And Real world distance per charge..It all DEPENDS how you drive. I travel at or just under 70 and am getting to charging stations without any problems. The 353 miles per charge would only happen if you drove at 30 mph and at a constant speed. We usually go 100 to 150 miles between chargers so that the time to recharge is maybe 15 minutes. If you go from 100% charge to 10% it does take a long time to recharge. 90% and more of our charging is done at home....using our rates of .09 cents per kwh, it costs us around $7 to go 300 miles. Commercial charging stations, including Tesla, charge around 40 Cents per kwh...Big difference.

Last edited:

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
My wife, lead foot Lynda drove my Hybrid Maverick across Arizona I 40 peaking at 85MPH
MPG readout was 36.5 MPG, I was a tad disappointed, even though the official EPA Highway MPG is 33
The Maverick has about 3000 miles on it, and has a solid folding bed cover, A/C was on, but it wasn't that hot outside. Drive mode was "Normal"

However, a few years ago while Lead Foot Lynda was using a my Prius as a daily driver she got about 33MPG
Maverick did better than any Prius?
Just what do you expect? Find another pickup that even comes close to the mpg you report at these speeds, good luck.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not our experience at all in Oregon. Only one time and it was one out of 15 chargers and it was out for 1 day.
Could be region specific, but I was going by a recent study by Berkeley (a pro-EV liberal university) that found out of 656 public fast chargers in the bay area that only 72.5% were in working order. Popular youtuber did his cross country EV thing that I watched and he went to a hotel and found that most of the chargers were broken and the ones that weren't were occupied.

I'm sure they are a great solution for some, but I think there's a honeymoon period like they have where new services are ad-free and then they start adding commercials and souring the milk when it becomes more mainstream and we're seeing that with EVs where the free and overabundant chargers are going to be replaced with high rate (in Germany I'm told in USD conversion its around 80cents/kwh now) and competition for chargers because a charger that isn't being used all the time is losing money.

So IMO government should stay out of it, and let the market naturally transition from more frugal ICE (some of the turbo fours and three bangers are making great efficiency) to HEV to PHEV to PHEV long-range, and then EVs would be mainstream well down the line instead of forcing adoption.