First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I came across a Consumer Reports article on Hybrids to consider that included the Maverick Hybrid:

https://www.consumerreports.org/hyb...e-you-the-most-money-on-gasoline-a1199235608/

That made me think that the regular Maverick Test Report had been updated to include the Hybrid, which had earlier been indicated to be in test, and yes, the Hybrid test is now completed. You need a Consumer Reports subscription for the whole article, but the Maverick Hybrid got an 82 Road Test score and a 76 overall, a bit better than the EcoBoost model, primarily due to the better gas mileage. Overall, for both Hybrid and EcoBoost models, the Maverick still ranks #2 in the compact/mid-size truck category CU uses. The #1 Honda Ridgeline got an 83 Road Test score and 82 overall.

For the full Hybrid report, you have to choose the Crew Cab Lariat 4-Cyl CVT report. It's a bit buried, but it's there. The article is too chopped up to try to post here, so if you don't have or know someone with a subscription, don't shoot the messenger.

Go to:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ford/maverick/2022/road-test-report/?pagestop
Sponsored

Last edited:

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IF CR used aesthetics in their ratings, the Ridgeline would be a lot lower -- that's the ugliest truck I've ever seen, it's like a visual nails-on-the-chalkboard for me. The automotive press love it, but the sales level implies that the public doesn't.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was CR also concerned about the out the door price difference between the Ridgeline and the Maverick? Do they really belong in the same class of truck?
I always thought CR owners were not a large enough sample size to give any sort or accuracy to their reports on reliability and problem areas. Still think so.
And, they are biased in favor of two specific brands originally from Japan. IMO
tom

OP
OP
davnau

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IF CR used aesthetics in their ratings, the Ridgeline would be a lot lower -- that's the ugliest truck I've ever seen, it's like a visual nails-on-the-chalkboard for me. The automotive press love it, but the sales level implies that the public doesn't.
Yeah, I don't like the look either. The Maverick looks like a Ford truck and that's goodness in my book. The Ridgeline also still uses the Honda V-6, which gets comparatively lousy gas mileage and is one of the few gas engines produced that still uses a rubber timing belt. Plus the base cost of a Ridgeline is really high compared to a Maverick. For the price of the mid-level Ridgeline, I bought a Maverick XL Hybrid plus a new small pontoon boat. I'd rather have both any day, and the grandkids love the pontoon boat.

Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
any members here that can copy and paste the rest? Did it account the hybrid recall?

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 ridgeline price tag is little high its really mid size truck in size. It cant compete with taco/ranger/frointer from a value standpoint so i get the comparison. That's said the ridgeline MPG hybrid still isn't close the maverick. Ridgeline is nicer but the price is double.
$39,435 for base 40.2k after taxes and fees for a base.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I don't like the look either. The Maverick looks like a Ford truck and that's goodness in my book. The Ridgeline also still uses the Honda V-6, which gets comparatively lousy gas mileage and is one of the few gas engines produced that still uses a rubber timing belt. Plus the base cost of a Ridgeline is really high compared to a Maverick. For the price of the mid-level Ridgeline, I bought a Maverick XL Hybrid plus a new small pontoon boat. I'd rather have both any day, and the grandkids love the pontoon boat.
Yes the cost, lousy gas mileage and a timing belt is a turn off to me. Others have said what's the big deal replace the timing belt when it's due. I think it is a big deal. I have a 20 foot pontoon boat but ordered the 4k tow. Was wondering if the Hybrid could handle it especially at the launch ramp being fwd and all the weight on the back.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Macan S/2023 Integra 6MT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Preferring a 2.0L turbo 4 to a 3.5L N/A V6 from one of the best engine companies on the planet is super weird, but to each their own. I don't see the Maverick and Ridgeline as competitors. But literally everyone else on the planet laments the loss of naturally aspirated V6 engines except MTC people worried about a 105k timing belt service but not at all about the potential complications from a small turbo engine.

I'm buying a Maverick, and I have never considered a Ridgeline. But the J-series Honda V6 is a tried/true wonderful engine with a unique sound and smoothness.

OP
OP
davnau

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes the cost, lousy gas mileage and a timing belt is a turn off to me. Others have said what's the big deal replace the timing belt when it's due. I think it is a big deal. I have a 20 foot pontoon boat but ordered the 4k tow. Was wondering if the Hybrid could handle it especially at the launch ramp being fwd and all the weight on the back.
Handles it just fine. Itā€™s 1900 pounds boat, motor and trailer with a Yamaha 9.9, 13 foot in length. Itā€™s little - an Apex Marine GillGetter. Got the last 13 footer they built last August. The Volvo C70 also pulled it fine. Never an issue launching or retrieving. Obviously would not work with your 20 footer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
davnau

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Preferring a 2.0L turbo 4 to a 3.5L N/A V6 from one of the best engine companies on the planet is super weird, but to each their own. I don't see the Maverick and Ridgeline as competitors. But literally everyone else on the planet laments the loss of naturally aspirated V6 engines except MTC people worried about a 105k timing belt service but not at all about the potential complications from a small turbo engine.

I'm buying a Maverick, and I have never considered a Ridgeline. But the J-series Honda V6 is a tried/true wonderful engine with a unique sound and smoothness.
I agree itā€™s a good engine. Had a 2005 Odyssey for 200K miles with it. Was almost due for the second timing belt, but with the kids grown, traded it in for a Fit. Ody could only barely get 26 MPG at 65 MPH and averaged 17-18 MPG tops. My Maverick XL Hybrid gets better mileage than the Fit, and cost about the same, even with the Fit EX-L being a 2015 model. And the Maverick is way more useful.

I feel lucky every time I drive the Maverick.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree itā€™s a good engine. Had a 2005 Odyssey for 200K miles with it. Was almost due for the second timing belt, but with the kids grown, traded it in for a Fit. Ody could only barely get 26 MPG at 65 MPH and averaged 17-18 MPG tops. My Maverick XL Hybrid gets better mileage than the Fit, and cost about the same, even with the Fit EX-L being a 2015 model. And the Maverick is way more useful.

I feel lucky every time I drive the Maverick.
I agree with you, hence my Maverick hybrid purchase as well. For fuel economy and utility combination, the Maverick hybrid is peerless.

I was just noting how odd it was to see people advocating against one of the very few NA V6s left in the mainstream - while so many of us car enthusiasts pine for the days where they were ubiquitous.

OP
OP
davnau

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you, hence my Maverick hybrid purchase as well. For fuel economy and utility combination, the Maverick hybrid is peerless.

I was just noting how odd it was to see people advocating against one of the very few NA V6s left in the mainstream - while so many of us car enthusiasts pine for the days where they were ubiquitous.
I get it. My hobby car is the 1973 Mustang shown, with the old 250 cu in six, biggest of the old ā€˜ā€œFalconā€ sixes. Eventually, Iā€™ll replace it with a red 2017 Mustang V6 convertible, last year for the V6 Mustang.šŸ˜ƒ

Even Honda is going all-in with the turbocharged version of the 1.5L Fit engine being used in so many Honda models now.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even Honda is going all-in with the turbocharged version of the 1.5L Fit engine being used in so many Honda models now.
It's the new way. Our Integra has the 1.5L VTEC turbo of the Civic Si. It's a great little engine. We're averaging about 39mpg and it's a hoot to drive with the 6MT. But it's nothing like those old high revving I4s of yesteryear. For good and for bad, I suppose.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At least they finally ditched those stupid angled bed sides. Those things always just looked wrong.
Sponsored