Sponsored

Confusion About The Infotainment System - Base vs Sync 3?

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I just found out Ford no longer offers a CD player. Am I the only one who still listens to them? I have no interest in the navigation stuff.
CD players have gone the way of the 8 Track. I own a restaurant that has live music. Performers hand me CD’s and I’m like “ how am I supposed to listen to this?”
Sponsored

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
CD players have gone the way of the 8 Track. I own a restaurant that has live music. Performers hand me CD’s and I’m like “ how am I supposed to listen to this?”
I'm really out of the loop:(. Thanks

BamaBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Is GPS available? I’m going to order tomorrow a Lariat fwd but I haven’t seen anything about GPS
No stand alaone GPS, it will use android auto or apple car play. IMO, a better idea anyways.
So there built-in maps and navigation are not available on any trim or in any package? While I do like using Waze with Android Auto, I would really like to have the backup of built-in maps for those times that I have no cell service.

OP
OP
eRock92

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
It's not Waze that's improved it's Android auto.
So it's still the same Waze as I remember, then? Ehh... I'll just stick with Google Maps. I'm used to working with it to get what I want.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022Maverick6_LI.jpg

Don't get me wrong I like the Maverick and I am thinking seriously about getting one but the big useless hole beside the info screen begs the question why ?
My guess is that this dash was designed for the larger 12" sync 4 screen for either a PHEV or other Top Trim variant that we have yet to see. Just looks too perfectly shaped for a 12" screen.

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can you replace the 8" screen with a 12" headunit?

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
The SYNC 3 is faster and smoother, slightly more user friendly however I use Android Auto and it works fine on my SYNC and SYNC 3 vehicles...
Hey Albert , Have you been able to determine if when using ApplePlay or any other Nav app will it be wi-fi or plug in cable , same for Using Spotify or any music app?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Albert , Have you been able to determine if when using ApplePlay or any other Nav app will it be wi-fi or plug in cable , same for Using Spotify or any music app?
I read somewhere that the basic non-Sync system must use a cable connection.

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
Here's my confusion over which SYNC radio is in the Maverick... Our training material says "8 inch center-stack touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility" is standard on all 3 trims. Then later says "SYNC 3 (incl. in Lariat Luxury Package [54P])".

The only 8" screen capable of using Apple Carplay/Android Auto on all Fords (2016-) is the SYNC 3 system. (And I'm the guy at our dealership that handles SYNC 3 updates for customers.) Either Ford has developed a hybrid SYNC radio for the Maverick XL/XLT trims, or SYNC 3 is in all Mavericks.

I'll update when get clarification. FWIW, SYNC 3 is an extremely stable system- when updated, just like any computer system.
Thanks for some clarification. By the way does the training material
detail the location of the 12 v battery, are there more than one?
Or does the system use the Hybrid battery for everything? One last thing why is there Start/ Stop on a Hybrid vehicle?

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that although the screen size is the same 8", the SYNC-3 version has upgraded processor and memory over the base version to make it snappier when using Android Auto and Apple Carplay, not just the built-in SYNC-3 interface. My hope is that the entire head unit-cubby trim can be replaced with a newer OEM SYNC-4 display from a future model that (hopefully) has the same form factor for that space, and can do wireless Carplay/Auto.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
My understanding is that although the screen size is the same 8", the SYNC-3 version has upgraded processor and memory over the base version to make it snappier when using Android Auto and Apple Carplay, not just the built-in SYNC-3 interface. My hope is that the entire head unit-cubby trim can be replaced with a newer OEM SYNC-4 display from a future model that (hopefully) has the same form factor for that space, and can do wireless Carplay/Auto.
I'm hoping the entire display/headunit can be replaced with aftermarket so that 5-10 years down the line when Sync 3 and 4 and old and can't do all the new fangled things that are common then, an aftermarket unit can slide in and add those features.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't understand any of this, but I'm sure it is important to many other buyers. I really don't know which to specify when I order, I don't want to pay for options I may never use.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand any of this, but I'm sure it is important to many other buyers. I really don't know which to specify when I order, I don't want to pay for options I may never use.
Well they made it sorta easy for you -- only Lariat Luxury package includes the SYNC3 upgraded display system along with the upgraded sound system, etc. So unless you're fully loading a Lariat, it's not an option.

If you plan to use wired Android Auto or Apple Carplay all the time it probably won't matter to you, because those take over the display for any media control. If you only use bluetooth to your phone to listen to music, and also use navigation on your phone on a dock or something, it probably matters even less to you since you won't need the built-in navigation application of SYNC3, for example.

martyi48

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm an old guy (well, 72 is not THAT old but--) that likes CDs too. However, I've learned to put my music on thumb drives to play through the Maverick's media player so I'm okay there. BTW, does the Maverick have an SD slot to play music from SD cards? It is the navigator that has me confused. I know waze is a navigator and I can download it to my Iphone. How do I get it from the waze app in the phone to show up on the Maverick's screen? Or do I somehow download waze to the Maverick's screen and use it directly? Just not sure about all this stuff.

As far as the hole next to the screen, I can only assume it is space to be used in future additions for something they have in mind that is not ready yet. Still, that hole looks stupid there.
Sponsored