Sponsored

Confusion About The Infotainment System - Base vs Sync 3?

The One

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2015 Mustang Ecoboost converti
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Confusion About The Infotainment System - Base vs Sync 3? 2022Maverick6_LI

Don't get me wrong I like the Maverick and I am thinking seriously about getting one but the big useless hole beside the info screen begs the question why ?
Sponsored

Smith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is GPS available? I’m going to order tomorrow a Lariat fwd but I haven’t seen anything about GPS

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Don't get me wrong I like the Maverick and I am thinking seriously about getting one but the big useless hole beside the info screen begs the question why ?
Cost cutting. This is an entry level vehicle. To go with a piece of glass that would fill that void could cost hundreds for the glass itself, and then thousands of hours of programing/testing/validating the software changes. And then they have to maintain it. If far easier to simply apply a one-size-fits-all approach for the C2 platform.

On-topic...Sync3 works better with AppleCar Play and Android Auto then earlier versions. I own a few cars where I use Car Play, and it is significantly better then anything that an auto manufacturer can come up with. Plus...it's always current. I would never purchase a vehicle with a GPS/XM again - Car Play/Auto is all that is needed.

Last edited:

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, I love using Android Auto as well. It is also nice that I can voice control calling up Spotify playlists and the like since I hate paying for SiriusXM.

Also, if you have not tried it, look for a navigation app called "Waze". The maps are updated often and people mark things like police, wrecks, wildlife crossing, etc. so you can keep an eye out for those things on road trips.
Waze has saved me hundreds if not thousands in speeding tickets and insurance costs.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The best thing about Waze is that the crowdsourced traffic monitoring finds thing that Google (or Apple) maps doesn't. I drove back from the Eclipse in Tennessee with half a million of my closest friends and Google told you to stay on the Interstate while Waze showed the highway was borked and allowed you to find alternate routes.

Sponsored

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A lot of the head units Android Auto uses have GPS receivers in them, and Android Auto uses that GPS rather than the one internal to the phone. I found this out in my Honda CR-V by having my phone, still plugged into a USB cable, fall into a tin and lose coverage for all other signals. GPS is on the hardware, it's not used in the software build that comes with the car.

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There must be GPS because I'm almost certain that Ford collects (or wants to collect) all of that sweet customer usage and location data. This is a new revenue stream for them.

OP
OP

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
Yes, I love using Android Auto as well. It is also nice that I can voice control calling up Spotify playlists and the like since I hate paying for SiriusXM.

Also, if you have not tried it, look for a navigation app called "Waze". The maps are updated often and people mark things like police, wrecks, wildlife crossing, etc. so you can keep an eye out for those things on road trips.
I guess I'm the only one who has had bad experiences with Waze. I tested it out with Waze on my work phone and Google Maps on my personnel. There were 3 distinct times when I chose Waze's directions over Google Maps' despite Maps screaming that I was going the wrong way. All 3 times I ended in standstill traffic from a long standing accident.

Also in my experiences with Waze, it has never recalculated for me when I went a back way. It wouldn't even recognize the back way and tell me to go up to a half hour in the opposite direction back to the main highway despite me constantly refreshing for alternate routes. I'm also not a speed freak, so the cops thing never helps me.

Granted, this was back in 2018 when I did this little experiment for a few months. If you guys are telling me Waze has significantly improved since then, I'll redownload the app on my work phone and try the experiment one more time. But I have to be honest, I have my doubts.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's not Waze that's improved it's Android auto.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is GPS available? I’m going to order tomorrow a Lariat fwd but I haven’t seen anything about GPS
Use your phone and Android Auto with google maps or Apple CarPlay with Apple maps, both superior to most factory gps systems.

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just found out Ford no longer offers a CD player. Am I the only one who still listens to them? I have no interest in the navigation stuff.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just found out Ford no longer offers a CD player. Am I the only one who still listens to them? I have no interest in the navigation stuff.
Not sure of the procedure on a pc, I use a Mac, but you should be able to convert your CDs to mp3 files and copy them to a thumb drive. Play the thumb drive through the USB port on the Maverick console. Even large thumb drives are cheap these days and they will hold dozens of CDs.

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can always get a re=chargable portable player for the car. I believe they make some with bluetooth output (or FM transmitter output).

James

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not sure of the procedure on a pc, I use a Mac, but you should be able to convert your CDs to mp3 files and copy them to a thumb drive. Play the thumb drive through the USB port on the Maverick console. Even large thumb drives are cheap these days and they will hold dozens of CDs.
Thank You. No player was quite a shock with all the CD's I have.
Sponsored