Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
  • Banned
Picked up my first paint chip. Not quite sure how I got it. Noticed it today after a touch free car wash when I was drying. I had hoped that the $ markup on Hot Pepper Red would maybe translate into more durable paint... but I don't think so.

I have no recollection of dinging it or anything like that. I suppose in theory it's possible I nicked it with my toolbox or snowboard... but no way I hit it that hard.

Fortunately I had my dealer include a bottle of touch up paint with the car. I put on a couple coats yesterday. Initial impression is that it touched up pretty well. I'll see how it does after fully drying. The real test will come after the first car wash.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that while this is the first chip it won't be the last, especially in a high use area like the tailgate.

Shame on Ford.

On the plus side, my truck is well on it's way to having 'character'. 😆

Ford Maverick Confirmed: The Paint Sucks 20220522_163135
Sponsored

Deleted member 1370

I agree with the paint, I had someone vandalize and throw eggs and stones at my hood while driving back to my house one night and it dinged it up really good. Insurance is covering most of the damage but yea the paint ain’t too hot. Seems like a very thin coat

OP
OP
Prostate Heaven

Prostate Heaven

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
  • Banned
One upside. As I was inspecting the chip and lamenting my misfortune a lady came up to me and exclaimed, "Nice Truck!".

That did help that take a lot of the sting out of it. :giggle:

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are all going to be going through touch up paint

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 18 Explorer with the ruby red paint chips like a muther. Ford paint has always be a weak area.

Sponsored

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Picked up my first paint chip. Not quite sure how I got it. Noticed it today after a touch free car wash when I was drying. I had hoped that the $ markup on Hot Pepper Red would maybe translate into more durable paint... but I don't think so.

I have no recollection of dinging it or anything like that. I suppose in theory it's possible I nicked it with my toolbox or snowboard... but no way I hit it that hard.

Fortunately I had my dealer include a bottle of touch up paint with the car. I put on a couple coats yesterday. Initial impression is that it touched up pretty well. I'll see how it does after fully drying. The real test will come after the first car wash.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that while this is the first chip it won't be the last, especially in a high use area like the tailgate.

Shame on Ford.

On the plus side, my truck is well on it's way to having 'character'. 😆

20220522_163135.jpg
Looks like your toolbox left a good gouge in the door steel too ;)

Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have NEVER considered paint protection in my life but I am 90% sure I will be either doing ceramic coating or film when my Mav arrives in a few weeks.
Yeah, I already have some local quotes. I never used ceramic before, but I am getting it done as soon as the truck comes in. Hopefully it will protect the paint more than just what a normal amount of paint would on any other car.

Stupak

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have noticed this thin paint since the beginning with my Cactus Grey Mav. Super thin and I am concerned for future. I also just noticed a bare area by the rear window/bed connection. Both sides filled with some sort of glue. I know we all love the economy of the Mav butI believe this is an issue they will need to address in the future.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, I already have some local quotes. I never used ceramic before, but I am getting it done as soon as the truck comes in. Hopefully it will protect the paint more than just what a normal amount of paint would on any other car.
Ceramic isnt going to help with chips - if someone claims that they are selling snake oil. The only real protection against chips is Paint Protective Coating. With the move to environmentally friendly paint manufacturing this is the result. I also think the automatic car washes are contributing to chips and scratches.

rustru

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX470
Edges are the most susceptible to chips be it a Yugo or a Rolls Royce. It is what it is.
I agree partially, but respectfully disagree to "it is what it is". There is clearly an issue with the paint on the Mavs and it is especially aggravating when you are paying for a paint upcharge. I don't think most buying a Mav expects perfection but multiple people have documented significant chips, with just a few hundred miles on the odometer. I have a few chips that substantial on my hood......but my GX is 18-years old! I would hate to see what these will look like in two decades of wear. I totally understand the cost saving measures and I totally understand the tough guy reply of, "this is a truck"...but personally I think this is unacceptable.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have NEVER considered paint protection in my life but I am 90% sure I will be either doing ceramic coating or film when my Mav arrives in a few weeks.
I declined the paint protection when the finance guy made his sales pitch when I was closing the deal on my purchase. I still think I made the right call on that one, but now I’m reconsidering and thinking of getting this done.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.