Sponsored

Concern with Buying Used Maverick with Aftermarket front tow hooks?

AggieDrew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just purchased a used 2023 Lariat that is in good shape and I really like it. However, I realized after reviewing the threads on here that the front tow hooks and 6 pin connector were not part of the Ford tow package (this is not the 4x4 Maverick) and were an aftermarket job. I'm still in the 5 day grace period on the purchase from the dealer (it wasn't a Ford dealership). It does not seem like this modification would void any warranties, but should I be concerned about this modification or go get it checked out by a Ford shop? It's not the cleanest cut job on the front panels but I'm less concerned about the aesthetic impact. It looks like it was possibly used to pull behind an RV.

Ford Maverick Concern with Buying Used Maverick with Aftermarket front tow hooks? picture1
Ford Maverick Concern with Buying Used Maverick with Aftermarket front tow hooks? picture2

Ford Maverick Concern with Buying Used Maverick with Aftermarket front tow hooks? picture3
Sponsored

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yep, I'd say it was towed.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just purchased a used 2023 Lariat that is in good shape and I really like it. However, I realized after reviewing the threads on here that the front tow hooks and 6 pin connector were not part of the Ford tow package (this is not the 4x4 Maverick) and were an aftermarket job. I'm still in the 5 day grace period on the purchase from the dealer (it wasn't a Ford dealership). It does not seem like this modification would void any warranties, but should I be concerned about this modification or go get it checked out by a Ford shop? It's not the cleanest cut job on the front panels but I'm less concerned about the aesthetic impact. It looks like it was possibly used to pull behind an RV.

picture1.jpg
picture2.jpg

picture3.jpg
setup for towing behind a motorhome (y)

Billy2mav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I hope the rest of the truck is in really good shape and you get a good deal. That doe's not look good.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oof, that looks crappy but shouldn't have caused much harm to it in such a short time.

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears who ever cut the front bumper to install the mounting points used an axe (and missed a few times). With that terrible workmanship I would question the entire install. Do you even need a flat-towable Maverick?

I could never un-see that and personally would walk away as I have zero need to tow my Maverick and could not live with that front end now, but you do you.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you got a good deal on the truck, you got a very expensive add on.

There is no factory option to pull from the front like that. All of them are Third-Party.

S Dundee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Salvadore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Agree with @Johnkn. I also could never un-see that. Really bad workmanship and probably not good for the hybrid to be towed behind a trailer either. They probably also cut into the wiring harness (2nd photo) which has caused many hybrid owners much headache. You don't need the hassle. Unless they knocked off a heckuva lot of cash, if it were me I would take it back.

The modification likely does void parts of the warranty. There are numerous posts of electrical mods made by 3rd party installers cutting or splicing into factory wiring and causing many problems. That is not covered by Ford. Likewise, if those tow hooks which were badly installed (and appear crooked) deformed the unibody structure, that is not covered by Ford warranty. You likely have no recourse with the company who did the bad install of the tow behind parts as you are the 2nd owner and not the one who purchased it.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What a hack job.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The YT video in a related thread explains the frame and support plates on a FX4 version versus a hybrid and their limitations. I'm looking at the installation of front hooks on my hybrid for emergency/limited use and I'm not ready to cut up the front fascia until I'm sure where the anchor points will be and the effectivness of the install.

Redline

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT shadow black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Personally, I'd pass on that one. The installer's skills are in question and who knows how many miles it's been dragged around the country. I don't think that tow miles show up on the odometer.
Maybe you could work getting it back to stock appearance into the deal, if you must have it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

AggieDrew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for all the info! The wiring is coming in above the shutter but hard to track back after that. Wasn’t planning on using it to tow myself but all the wiring/warranty risk is definitely worrying.
Sponsored