First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 1967 Chevy Cheyenne and a 1980 Chevy Cheyenne -- both were StepSides, and the '67 had a wooden bed and a 3-on-the-tree ; the '80 had a 4 barrel carburetor 350V8 and no rear bumper...way back when regular cab/short wheel base trucks ruled...

Sponsored

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seems to me it would be GM's party if they showed up with an all electric trucklette. That's what we keep hearing from GM, "The future is electric"
If they showed up next year with a trucklet that only had the option to be all electric, it would still be 100% Ford's party. They're cool for some people, but useless or unwanted by the overwhelming majority. Gas is far from dead.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
Gas is far from dead.
Agreed. I'm not saying they'd be bringing a gun to a knife fight. I'm saying they'd be like the folks who show up to a pot luck with a stack of Pizza boxes. Love it or hate it, it changes the party and people are gonna talk about it.

That said GM has an inexpensive (relatively) EV platform they could put a trucklette on hiding under the Bolt and Bolt EUV. I don't know that doing that would take sales from the Maverick. I think I'd be more worried about that if I was Hyundai who just spend a bunch of money marketing the Santa Cruz to the same demographic that would love a $30,000 electric trucklette. Folks in urban environments where there is plenty of charging infrastructure.

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
They're cool for some people, but useless or unwanted by the overwhelming majority.
True that, plus it would probably be overpriced, which sort of defeats the purpose of a smaller, "cheaper" truck. I still think GM should keep doing ICE-powered vehicles. They did actually say a while back that they could still build some ICE cars by 2035, and they should. There is still demand for such vehicles, and just because they aren't as good for the environment as an EV doesn't mean you should eliminate the choice altogether.

mcknzy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Just wishing for a Courier size truck in the 17k range but I guess that's wishful thinking. And don't say that's not possible bought my 2010 ranger for 13k plus change.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
True that, plus it would probably be overpriced, which sort of defeats the purpose of a smaller, "cheaper" truck. I still think GM should keep doing ICE-powered vehicles. They did actually say a while back that they could still build some ICE cars by 2035, and they should. There is still demand for such vehicles, and just because they aren't as good for the environment as an EV doesn't mean you should eliminate the choice altogether.
What an ICE vehicle ?

Sponsored

mcknzy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
What an ICE vehicle ?
It doesn't make much sense to me, they say it is cheaper to make a EV than an ICE with less man hours and less moving parts. So are they admitting they will gouge us dry? All new EVs are targeting the rich and they promise us an affordable car someday.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So the average price of a new vehicle these days is about $36,000. A basic electric vehicle is not bad price wise. By basic, I'm talking Chevy Bolt, not Tesla Model 3. when you compare basic electric and basic gas, the prices are not that different. But current electric car buyers are still early adopters. Take a look at what trims sell to the first to buy. Is the Bronco Sport Badlands a basic vehicle? Nope. That would be the Ford Escape with the 3 cylinder turbo. Which is not so different price wise form the slightly smaller Chevy Bolt EUV. You want to get gouged on a vehicle, think Raptor and TRX. That said, I drive a used car i paid $12,000 for so I'm not buying electric any time soon.

mcknzy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
So the average price of a new vehicle these days is about $36,000. A basic electric vehicle is not bad price wise. By basic, I'm talking Chevy Bolt, not Tesla Model 3. when you compare basic electric and basic gas, the prices are not that different. But current electric car buyers are still early adopters. Take a look at what trims sell to the first to buy. Is the Bronco Sport Badlands a basic vehicle? Nope. That would be the Ford Escape with the 3 cylinder turbo. Which is not so different price wise form the slightly smaller Chevy Bolt EUV. You want to get gouged on a vehicle, think Raptor and TRX. That said, I drive a used car i paid $12,000 for so I'm not buying electric any time soon.
I hear you but when hyundai,Mazda and VW can sell cars 17k to 19k why not an EV?

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
It doesn't make much sense to me, they say it is cheaper to make a EV than an ICE with less man hours and less moving parts. So are they admitting they will gouge us dry? All new EVs are targeting the rich and they promise us an affordable car someday.
All true...right up to the point of the battery. The battery pack is a massive cost driver for an EV. For example, if you have a 70Kw battery, and the cost of Lithium-Ion batteries is about $125, you are looking at a cost of $8,750 for the battery pack. The industry is trying to drive that cost below $100/Kw, but it really needs to get below $80/Kw before we see "affordable" BEV's.

mcknzy

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
All true...right up to the point of the battery. The battery pack is a massive cost driver for an EV. For example, if you have a 70Kw battery, and the cost of Lithium-Ion batteries is about $125, you are looking at a cost of $8,750 for the battery pack. The industry is trying to drive that cost below $100/Kw, but it really needs to get below $80/Kw before we see "affordable" BEV's.
Makes sense.
Sponsored