Chevy Montana

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
It's for poor third world country markets, definitely not what they're planning on competing with the Maverick with

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's for poor third world country markets, definitely not what they're planning on competing with the Maverick with
That's true, although I'm not sure that I'd call Brazil a "third world country." But the article has some interesting speculation about its possible future. As a small, car-based pickup, it certainly could be adapted to the US market with some significant changes. I'd love to see the small-truck market return to the US. That said, I don't think that the Montana would take away from Maverick sales without being priced around $16,000.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Chevy tried that 15 years ago in the US Market. It failed event hough they threw in a hard tonneau cover as standard.

Ford Maverick Chevy Montana Chevrolet_SSR

OP
OP
Snax

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Chevy tried that 15 years ago in the US Market. It failed event hough they threw in a hard tonneau cover as standard.

Chevrolet_SSR.jpg
Looks like something that you'd see kids riding at an amusement park. Spunky and cute, but lacking utility.

Sponsored

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Chevrolet_SSR.jpg
This is when the American car companies were asleep at the wheel. Have you ever sat in one of these?

This and the Chrysler Crossfire have the cheapest interiors I've ever seen. I'm not a huge fit and finish snob either. I don't mind basic and utilitarian, but those vehicles weren't marketed that way.

I used to be in the tire industry and any time I had to pull one of these in to get work done I felt bad for the sad sack that bought it. They got got.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's true, although I'm not sure that I'd call Brazil a "third world country."
Brazil per capita GDP: 8,717.19 USD
US per capita GDP: 65,297.52 USD

That's kinda third world/developing, whatever you want to call it level, which more or less means they are willing to make a lot of sacrifices to save a few bucks that American consumers likely would not.
I actually applaud them for the SSR and thought it was super cool for its time, but its one of those things where I liked the idea but not the execution.

Should have been a bit bigger to fit a three person bench seat if it has no back seats, more headroom for taller driver, and they were really expensive heavy gas guzzlers. Should have platform shared, put in a V6, skip all the expensive complicated convertible bit, and kept it light and I think they would have sold more.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brazil per capita GDP: 8,717.19 USD
US per capita GDP: 65,297.52 USD

That's kinda third world/developing, whatever you want to call it level, which more or less means they are willing to make a lot of sacrifices to save a few bucks that American consumers likely would not.

I actually applaud them for the SSR and thought it was super cool for its time, but its one of those things where I liked the idea but not the execution.

Should have been a bit bigger to fit a three person bench seat if it has no back seats, more headroom for taller driver, and they were really expensive heavy gas guzzlers. Should have platform shared, put in a V6, skip all the expensive complicated convertible bit, and kept it light and I think they would have sold more.
It was supposed to be a factory hot rod

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is when the American car companies were asleep at the wheel. Have you ever sat in one of these?

This and the Chrysler Crossfire have the cheapest interiors I've ever seen. I'm not a huge fit and finish snob either. I don't mind basic and utilitarian, but those vehicles weren't marketed that way.

I used to be in the tire industry and any time I had to pull one of these in to get work done I felt bad for the sad sack that bought it. They got got.
the Crossfire interestingly enough was a Mercedes designed/inspired sports car with a Chrysler body (and probably interior). It was a product of that 10 year period when Diamler owned Chrysler and tried to upgrade their processes across the board and shared many platforms and assembly facilities. I have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee from the same era and it was mostly a copy of a Mercedes SUV underneath and they had dual assembly lines that diverged when powertrain, exterior sheet metal, and interiors were added. It's been the best car I ever owned (y)
Sponsored