Chevy joining the competition?

mcknzy

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
All true...right up to the point of the battery. The battery pack is a massive cost driver for an EV. For example, if you have a 70Kw battery, and the cost of Lithium-Ion batteries is about $125, you are looking at a cost of $8,750 for the battery pack. The industry is trying to drive that cost below $100/Kw, but it really needs to get below $80/Kw before we see "affordable" BEV's.
Makes sense.

Old Ranchero

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
So the average price of a new vehicle these days is about $36,000. A basic electric vehicle is not bad price wise. By basic, I'm talking Chevy Bolt, not Tesla Model 3. when you compare basic electric and basic gas, the prices are not that different. But current electric car buyers are still early adopters. Take a look at what trims sell to the first to buy. Is the Bronco Sport Badlands a basic vehicle? Nope. That would be the Ford Escape with the 3 cylinder turbo. Which is not so different price wise form the slightly smaller Chevy Bolt EUV. You want to get gouged on a vehicle, think Raptor and TRX. That said, I drive a used car i paid $12,000 for so I'm not buying electric any time soon.
don't forget, that EV price is subsidized to the tune of what $7K by Uncle Joe, and he wants to increase it. It's not a level field price wise and this is about ideology and certain favored groups deciding for the rest of us with power of gov't behind them. The really shitty part is when they force ICE vehicles out of existence and you can only buy EVs- then the hand wringers come out of the woodwork talking about how unfair it is because poor people can't afford them so gov't "Helps" the poor buy them in the name of fairness and equity. The thing they won't publicize is ICE cars actually contribute LESS pollutants into the air after you factor in the dirty power needed to use the chargers for EVs and battery disposal/recycling at end of life.

MontanaEd

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PHEV- Volt
So, I paid $12,000 for my mostly electric Chevy Volt used. No tax incentive for me. It is a hoot to drive. The instant torque from the electric motor is just fun. Driving silently is also cool. Maybe that means I drank the cool aide, but I can't go back. I want a plug in hybrid Maverick.

mcknzy

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
So, I paid $12,000 for my mostly electric Chevy Volt used. No tax incentive for me. It is a hoot to drive. The instant torque from the electric motor is just fun. Driving silently is also cool. Maybe that means I drank the cool aide, but I can't go back. I want a plug in hybrid Maverick.
That would be great.

STDriver03

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Sport Trac
Current headlines are that gas supplies will be tight and prices high this summer. These kinds of conditions aren't great for most still driving ICE vehicles but they will create extra demand for EV. The future is coming. How fast is the question.

Xtreme Thunder

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I'm all for BEV, if it makes sense for my particular drive cycle and needs. I would transition to a hybrid or plug-in hybrid, but not yet ready to jump all in on BEV. I'll let the technology mature another cycle before I jump into such. The last thing I want is a 5,000lb compact vehicle that feels like a lead sled driving around town.