Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Dealership the best place to pick-up Mercon ULV? Not finding it at the normal joints, help and suggestions welcomed!!
Sponsored

Houndmav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is filling until it drips out of the fill hole the proper way to refill the transmission to the correct level?

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealership the best place to pick-up Mercon ULV? Not finding it at the normal joints, help and suggestions welcomed!!
RockAuto or Amazon.

I got my last bit from RA as it was the cheapest when I looked. Nappa should have some and places like it too. I'd shop around for prices where you are locally before pulling the trigger.

Jetlat7878$

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Blackout
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What's everybody changing their oil at after purchase for the first change?3k?5k?
I had my Hybrid changed at 1500 miles for two reasons. 1. Local Ford dealer had a oil and filter (Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter for $9.95 + tax. A deal I counl not refuse. 2. I wanted to get the factory oil out and start with fresh oil.

RAW4278

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ROBERT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 maverick xlt
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had my Hybrid changed at 1500 miles for two reasons. 1. Local Ford dealer had a oil and filter (Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter for $9.95 + tax. A deal I counl not refuse. 2. I wanted to get the factory oil out and start with fresh oil.
Thank you for the input.im at 2800 miles and I work at a ford dealership where I purchased my 2024 xlt eb in the parts dept and spoke to one tech that says 3k for the first oil change then every 5k after that.maybe I'll put it in the shop this week or next just to get it done then go from there.

Sponsored

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is filling until it drips out of the fill hole the proper way to refill the transmission to the correct level?
It's nearly possible to do a complete drain on many cars. With my Honda and Kia some fluid always remains in the transmission after it's drained. A flush/exchange might work but those are not recommended. What I do is a partial drain replacing what drains out, then drive the car for a few thousand miles and do another drain. Does anyone know the fluid capacity of the hybrid eCVT?

Last edited:

DoubleR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Altima, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After reading about 4WD PTU units being underfilled from the factory, I decided to go ahead and change the fluid in the eCVT yesterday. I have 14,000 troublefree miles and was doing my third oil change at the same time while I had the splash shield off. I found a couple of things I was not expecting.

The 14 mm drain plug for the eCVT was a lot looser than I was expecting. It wasn't finger tight, but took very little effort to turn with my wrench. It does have fine threads going into an aluminum housing so I was careful not to overtighten when I replaced it.

I drained about 3 quarts of fluid (shown in the 1 gallon jug photo) and refilled with 4 quarts before it started to run out the fill plug hole. I believe it was slightly underfilled at the factory. Probably not enought to damage anything but still a little underfilled.

The fluid was darker than I thought it would be, but didn't smell burnt or unusual. There were a few metallic flecks in the pan, but I expected that.

Overall the job was about as easy as doing an oil change, especially with the splash shield already removed. And the peace of mind is worth a little to me since I plan to keep the truck long term. I plan to wait another 30K and do the drain/fill again.

trans fluid.jpg

mercon ULV.jpg
On the 2.0 Ecoboost transmission, the excess fluid is drained out of the fluid level plug hole while the engine is running. Putting fluid in is at the top of the transmission after removing the pressure relief tube. There is a baffle in the tube with an eighth of an inch hole in it. So the tube needs to be removed to put fluid back in. I had a big ULV Fluid mess because of the baffle. Like someone else on here, I removed the baffle from the tube. Now my next atf fluid change will be easier by just removing the cap off of the tube. *This is on the 8 speed transmission on the ECOBOOST Mavericks* See attachments

Ford Maverick Changed the eCVT transmission fluid in my Hybrid Maverick Screenshot_20231008_103737_Chrome

Ford Maverick Changed the eCVT transmission fluid in my Hybrid Maverick Screenshot_20231008_122027_Chrome

DoubleR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nissan Altima, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a case of 12 quarts from RockAuto. It was cheaper than just buying 4 or 5 quarts. Last I checked, they no longer offer a case of Motorcraft ULV fluid.

OP
OP
72Maverick

72Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I purchased the Mercon ULV on Ebay. It was $10 qt with free shipping.

Sponsored

MetalsGeek

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rough
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Yamaha FZ-07
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is a SUPER SHORT and no way needed transmission oil change interval.
2005 eCVT (generation 1) had LIFETIME oil in a sealed system.
I think Ford now recommends changing at 150,000 mile intervals.
I suspect the term "lifetime" means something different to Ford than it does to someone planning to keep a vehicle 30+ years. The Motor Oil Geek and FordTechMakuloco (YouTube ch's) suggest shorter intervals and back it up with credible examples. There is nothing inherently wrong with either clean underwear or clean oil. 😁 Some folks shower every day! Now if only I could easily change the transmission oil in my 1987 Kenmore washing machine, I think it's due...

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a sucker born every day.
And no one is keeping these 30 years.

Some people pretend these basic plastic cars with recalls of recalls are somehow museum pieces.
🍭

Gonzo chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g35 coupe, VW Golf
Engine
Undecided
I suspect the term "lifetime" means something different to Ford than it does to someone planning to keep a vehicle 30+ years. The Motor Oil Geek and FordTechMakuloco (YouTube ch's) suggest shorter intervals and back it up with credible examples. There is nothing inherently wrong with either clean underwear or clean oil. 😁 Some folks shower every day! Now if only I could easily change the transmission oil in my 1987 Kenmore washing machine, I think it's due...
I have kept cars for a long time, maybe 20 years but I doubt many people will be keeping these for 30 but it's possible. On the other subject. I know it's not the best for your skin but I shower twice a day. A quick one in the morning, and then another one at the end of the day. I just can't work and run around all day and come home and relax and crawl into bed without showering. Feels gross to me. So yeah I'm a two different pairs of underwear a day also..... TMI I'm sure......

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did the transmission oil on my 1980s Kenmore washer, piece of cake! lol
I will do my 23 Mav hybrid trans oil at 20k and then 50k. I'll probably hit 20k in 2027. Retired and have another vehicle so mileage is kept low.