Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux AWD + Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey MTC,

There are a number of posts on here about the poor PTU/RDU fluids & wear from the factory and I wanted to add some fuel to the flame. I changed mine at ~13,000 miles and it was not in good shape (see pictures below). The PTU definitely seemed underfilled, had metallic debris, and a ton of sludge on the magnetic drain plug. The process was pretty simple, and definitely something you should do as part of your break-in fluid changes or with your first oil change (ideally before 5k miles).

You can also see some examples of higher mileage Mavericks that are already hitting transmission trouble. Daniel Deliverz has a great YouTube channel on the Mav (check it out here) and his blew at ~85,000 miles! (turns out this may not have been a blown transmission, but there is still a ton of gunk in these units.) He ran what I'd call "medium" duty, and hadn't swapped any trans fluids.

Simple explanation: a PTU (Power Transfer Unit) and RDU (Rear Drive Unit) are what transfer the engine & axial rotation that runs along the car, out sideways to power both wheels. Only the AWD version will have an RDU as they power all 4 wheels.

The Problem: In the Mav, the PTU is in a spot that sees a lot of heat from the engine/exhaust (causing oil to break down faster) and a lot of owners are reporting their trucks are coming from the factory with lower levers of oil. Both PTU & RDU systems are also always spinning, even if they aren't being powered. Meaning, they constantly need oil to stay lubricated, no matter if you're only running the front wheels, just doing normal driving, or idling (I think) . Plus, I saw a good amount of fine metallic debris/sludge that will create increased wear over time since there really isn't a filter in either unit (just a magnet). This is even more critical if you plan on towing or doing lots of "truck" stuff.

If you want your truck to last, change these oils ASAP!

How-to: There is already a great YouTube video on this by Dad's Garage that covers all the steps. This 1 is for the PTU and this 1 for the RDU. I don't have a lift, but was still able to do it with a jack & jack stands. Main difference is keeping the truck more-or-less level; so try not to jack it up too high. Also, make sure to pick-up an oil pump (something like this) as it will be near impossible to get the new oil in without it. I used OEM Motorcraft 75W Disconnect Rear Drive Unit Fluid (XY75WQL) for the RDU and Red Line 50104 75W85 GL-5 (Amazon) for the PTU. A lot of people recommend sticking with OEM for both, but I've had a lot of success in high heat applications using Red Line oil on my 2-stroke. Ultimately it's your call, but these fluids are OEM for good reason. You shouldn't need any additives as both motorcraft and red line already include the "friction modifiers" and such. Additionally, I wouldn't change to any other weight oil as these are very low volume systems that are engineered to perform a very specific way.

1. Remove the Fill Plugs: After you jack up the car, remove the FILL plug first. This prevents you being stranded if you can't get it off after draining. You'll need an 8 mm hex for the PTU plug and a pretty long ~10" extender. The RTU is the 3/8 drive right from the ratchet.
2. Drain the Oil: Remove the drain plug with the 3/8" ratchet drive and catch the oil. Take a look at it, the volume, and what's collected on the magnet of the drain plug.
3. OPTIONAL- Flush: I used pump to flush the system with a little bit of oil as you don't need a full quart for the refill.
4. Fill with Oil: After thoroughly cleaning the drain plug, screw it back in. The PTU has a rubber gasket on the plug, but I used some teflon tape for the RTU as I didn't have any sealing compound. Make sure to keep the teflon off the magnet and out of the system as much as possible. I don't know the torque specs of this drain plug, but it should be 1/4-1/2 turn over snug. Don't crank it down as it's a nightmare if stripped.
Fill both until the oil starts to come out (fill to spill) as there is no dipstick. It took ~2/3 of a quart to fill each unit.
5. Install Fill Plug: Same as the drain plug, I added some teflon tape (only at the top) to make a better seal, but you can use a sealing compound as well.

Done! should only take about 30 min once the truck is jacked up.

PTU Pictures:
Drain plug had a healthy amount of build up (smudged with my thumb to show the depth), metallic particles in the oil (the "swirls" in the 2nd photo), and a considerably lower quantity than what I added back. This concerned me the most as it's the one that gets the hottest and powers the primary wheels. I'm glad I changed this and wish I had done it closer to 5k miles.
Ford Maverick Change your PTU (Power Transfer Unit) / RDU (Rear Drive Unit) OIL! 1709585018198

Ford Maverick Change your PTU (Power Transfer Unit) / RDU (Rear Drive Unit) OIL! 1709585052492

RDU Pictures:
Drain plug had a good amount of build up and the oil had a metallic color from fine particles (hard to capture without a video). Also saw some sludge at the bottom of the oil bucket. Fluid volume seemed to match what I added.
Ford Maverick Change your PTU (Power Transfer Unit) / RDU (Rear Drive Unit) OIL! 1709584494164

Ford Maverick Change your PTU (Power Transfer Unit) / RDU (Rear Drive Unit) OIL! 1709584732976

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JediMindTrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S650 GT 401A (NP, PP, MR, AE, 10R80)
Engine
Undecided
Bookmarked as well. My Mav isn't here yet but I'll take the advice of doing all the fluid changes post-break in.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 13,000 miles so i am planning to have this oil change in the the next 2 weeks.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Then every 20k after that. 30k max.

Tranny at 30k. Especially because of the internal filter.

A lot of us do both initially within the first 5k. It's been showcased many many times on these RDU/PTU's and tranny's they defnitley deserve the early and frequent changes.

Just some helpful vids for those who many not follow FTMYL:

AlsMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat FX4 w/4k Tow Build Date 12/5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You guys should stop quoting this:
You can also see some examples of higher mileage Mavericks that are already hitting transmission trouble. Daniel Deliverz has a great YouTube channel on the Mav (check it out here) and his blew at ~85,000 miles! He ran what I'd call "medium" duty, and hadn't swapped any trans fluids, but 85k is nuts for transmission that needed a complete replacement.

IT WAS A BROKEN WIRE. Not a blown transmission.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the information. I have been thinking about this a lot as I am approaching 5K miles and that's typically when I do oil changes. My last car had the CVT fluid at 30K miles the first 2 times and went to 50K after that and was still find at 213K miles when I got the Maverick.

As far as Daniel Delivers..... I think he was hard on it and had not changed the fluid all that time.... my thought was it was kind of 50/50 there.... but who knows.

Anyway.... when I see this stuff it just makes me want to stick to my normal routine. Thanks again

h20mxracer222

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade EXT and Toyota 4runner Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did mine at 6k miles as a break in. Found a little bit of wear on drain plug. Will be doing tranny and rear end at 8k miles just to be safe. Always better to be early than late.

Sponsored

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey MTC,

There are a number of posts on here about the poor PTU/RDU fluids & wear from the factory and I wanted to add some fuel to the flame. I changed mine at ~13,000 miles and it was not in good shape (see pictures below). The PTU definitely seemed underfilled, had metallic debris, and a ton of sludge on the magnetic drain plug. The process was pretty simple, and definitely something you should do as part of your break-in fluid changes or with your first oil change (ideally before 5k miles).

You can also see some examples of higher mileage Mavericks that are already hitting transmission trouble. Daniel Deliverz has a great YouTube channel on the Mav (check it out here) and his blew at ~85,000 miles! (turns out this may not have been a blown transmission, but there is still a ton of gunk in these units.) He ran what I'd call "medium" duty, and hadn't swapped any trans fluids.

Simple explanation: a PTU (Power Transfer Unit) and RDU (Rear Drive Unit) are what transfer the engine & axial rotation that runs along the car, out sideways to power both wheels. Only the AWD version will have an RDU as they power all 4 wheels.

The Problem: In the Mav, the PTU is in a spot that sees a lot of heat from the engine/exhaust (causing oil to break down faster) and a lot of owners are reporting their trucks are coming from the factory with lower levers of oil. Both PTU & RDU systems are also always spinning, even if they aren't being powered. Meaning, they constantly need oil to stay lubricated, no matter if you're only running the front wheels, just doing normal driving, or idling (I think) . Plus, I saw a good amount of fine metallic debris/sludge that will create increased wear over time since there really isn't a filter in either unit (just a magnet). This is even more critical if you plan on towing or doing lots of "truck" stuff.

If you want your truck to last, change these oils ASAP!

How-to: There is already a great YouTube video on this by Dad's Garage that covers all the steps. This 1 is for the PTU and this 1 for the RDU. I don't have a lift, but was still able to do it with a jack & jack stands. Main difference is keeping the truck more-or-less level; so try not to jack it up too high. Also, make sure to pick-up an oil pump (something like this) as it will be near impossible to get the new oil in without it. I used OEM Motorcraft 75W Disconnect Rear Drive Unit Fluid (XY75WQL) for the RDU and Red Line 50104 75W85 GL-5 (Amazon) for the PTU. A lot of people recommend sticking with OEM for both, but I've had a lot of success in high heat applications using Red Line oil on my 2-stroke. Ultimately it's your call, but these fluids are OEM for good reason. You shouldn't need any additives as both motorcraft and red line already include the "friction modifiers" and such. Additionally, I wouldn't change to any other weight oil as these are very low volume systems that are engineered to perform a very specific way.

1. Remove the Fill Plugs: After you jack up the car, remove the FILL plug first. This prevents you being stranded if you can't get it off after draining. You'll need an 8 mm hex for the PTU plug and a pretty long ~10" extender. The RTU is the 3/8 drive right from the ratchet.
2. Drain the Oil: Remove the drain plug with the 3/8" ratchet drive and catch the oil. Take a look at it, the volume, and what's collected on the magnet of the drain plug.
3. OPTIONAL- Flush: I used pump to flush the system with a little bit of oil as you don't need a full quart for the refill.
4. Fill with Oil: After thoroughly cleaning the drain plug, screw it back in. The PTU has a rubber gasket on the plug, but I used some teflon tape for the RTU as I didn't have any sealing compound. Make sure to keep the teflon off the magnet and out of the system as much as possible. I don't know the torque specs of this drain plug, but it should be 1/4-1/2 turn over snug. Don't crank it down as it's a nightmare if stripped.
Fill both until the oil starts to come out (fill to spill) as there is no dipstick. It took ~2/3 of a quart to fill each unit.
5. Install Fill Plug: Same as the drain plug, I added some teflon tape (only at the top) to make a better seal, but you can use a sealing compound as well.

Done! should only take about 30 min once the truck is jacked up.

PTU Pictures:
Drain plug had a healthy amount of build up (smudged with my thumb to show the depth), metallic particles in the oil (the "swirls" in the 2nd photo), and a considerably lower quantity than what I added back. This concerned me the most as it's the one that gets the hottest and powers the primary wheels. I'm glad I changed this and wish I had done it closer to 5k miles.
1709585018198.png

1709585052492.png

RDU Pictures:
Drain plug had a good amount of build up and the oil had a metallic color from fine particles (hard to capture without a video). Also saw some sludge at the bottom of the oil bucket. Fluid volume seemed to match what I added.
1709584494164.png

1709584732976.png

Thanks for reading!
Modern problems for modern vehicles....the rear differential fluid in my 52 year old classic car has been changed .....once. no issues.

Oofty Goofty

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2009 Ranger XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fluid color and fine metal filings on the magnet look pretty normal to me. I don't see any chunks. Has anyone done a lubricity test to determine if their fluid has in fact broken down, or are we just making assumptions based on the color?

Automan21

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Subaru WRX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I forgot which one (RDU/PDU) but both plugs are the same. I’d get another plug for the top with the magnet too.

MagnusBjorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The fluid color and fine metal filings on the magnet look pretty normal to me. I don't see any chunks. Has anyone done a lubricity test to determine if their fluid has in fact broken down, or are we just making assumptions based on the color?
I was going to say the same thing, it looks normal. I'm not saying don't change it but if you don't and wait for the scheduled main't you will be fine.
Sponsored