Sponsored

Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to

mikeymaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0244
Since the 2023 Mavericks don’t come with center console lighting, I added it in myself using OEM parts. Here is how I did it.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0234

I bought Ford part number:
NZ6Z-14A318-A
Total cost was around $42.
The top light is the one I removed from the passenger foot well which I later spliced into for power/signal. The bottom one is the center console light that’s tinted because of its closer proximity to the storage area.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0233

To remove this part, grab it from the sides and underneath, and pull towards the rear of the vehicle. When looking on the bottom side, you can see where the light would have been mounted. Pro tip, when cutting this out with a utility knife, cut a decent ways inside the outline. What you can see is noticeably larger than the actual light. I ended up having to superglue a small piece back in so the light would stay in place. Cut a smaller hole and slowly workout to the appropriate size.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0238

Here is the light mounted with the bullet connectors crimped on. You must use these (or some other type of connector) so this can be removed in the future.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0237

I then cut the original wires for the passenger foot well and spliced in some wires to power the new light in my center console. I soldered and shrink wrapped everything for a secure and reliable connection. These are very thin wires and you must have a lot of patience.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0235

Here is the light mounted. All that is left to do is plug everything back in.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to IMG_0244

The final result was a perfect color match that worked as expected. It even got brighter and dimmer with the other lights as I adjusted them. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did they take the ambient out in the 23 models?? I have it in my 22 XLT. but mine is only on the center console and not in the foot wells.

DubiousDucky

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Street Triple 765, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did they take the ambient out in the 23 models?? I have it in my 22 XLT. but mine is only on the center console and not in the foot wells.
Same, 2022 XLT. Would be a cool project to do the inverse of this, add the footwell lighting to a 2022. I might look into it because the footwell lighting looks really nice.

Would anyone be able to share a picture of where they are mounted on the 23's?

Sponsored

Mavreezy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
IMG_0244.jpeg
Since the 2023 Mavericks don’t come with center console lighting, I added it in myself using OEM parts. Here is how I did it.

IMG_0234.jpeg

NZ6Z-14A318-A
The top light is the one I removed from the passenger foot well which I later spliced into for power/signal. The bottom one is the center console light that’s tinted because of its closer proximity to the storage area.

IMG_0233.jpeg

To remove this part, grab it from the sides and underneath, and pull towards the rear of the vehicle. When looking on the bottom side, you can see where the light would have been mounted. Pro tip, when cutting this out with a utility knife, cut a decent ways inside the outline. What you can see is noticeably larger than the actual light. I ended up having to superglue a small piece back in so the light would stay in place. Cut a smaller hole and slowly workout to the appropriate size.

IMG_0238.jpeg

Here is the light mounted with the bullet connectors crimped on. You must use these (or some other type of connector) so this can be removed in the future.

IMG_0237.jpeg

I then cut the original wires for the passenger foot well and spliced in some wires to power the new light in my center console. I soldered and shrink wrapped everything for a secure and reliable connection. These are very thin wires and you must have a lot of patience.

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

The final result was a perfect color match that worked as expected. It even got brighter and dimmer with the other lights as I adjusted them. Hope this helps.

IMG_0244.jpeg
You did a helluva job 👍. It looks very good.

I also added an ambient light to the center cubby area. I went the easy route and used a USB led light. I switched it to the color that best matched the interior lights and called it a wrap. I paid around $6 for the USB lights.

It's doesn't look as good as yours, but I can't complain for 6 bucks.

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to PXL_20231108_060709474

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to PXL_20231108_060555712

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to PXL_20231108_060816680

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to PXL_20231108_060848036

Ford Maverick Center Console Ambient Lighting install in my 2023 Lariat Maverick -- DIY how-to PXL_20231108_061207475

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You did a helluva job 👍. It looks very good.

I also added an ambient light to the center cubby area. I went the easy route and used a USB led light. I switched it to the color that best matched the interior lights and called it a wrap. I paid around $6 for the USB lights.

It's doesn't look as good as yours, but I can't complain for 6 bucks.

PXL_20231108_060709474.jpg

PXL_20231108_060555712.jpg

PXL_20231108_060816680.jpg

PXL_20231108_060848036.jpg

PXL_20231108_061207475.jpg
I have the same USB light that you have. Question, does it turn off on it's own? Or do you have to unplug it everytime you get out of the Maverick? I tried mine and it stayed on even though i turned off the truck and locked it. Just wondering if you have the same experience. 2023 Lariat Lux Eco. Thanks.

Mavreezy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda B3000 Dual Sport, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the same USB light that you have. Question, does it turn off on it's own? Or do you have to unplug it everytime you get out of the Maverick? I tried mine and it stayed on even though i turned off the truck and locked it. Just wondering if you have the same experience. 2023 Lariat Lux Eco. Thanks.
The light turns off when I turn off the truck. It also turns on automatically at dusk and off at dawn. I was worried it was going to remain on all the time, but it doesn't. I just plugged it in and I haven't had to mess with it ever since.

blackb13

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same, 2022 XLT. Would be a cool project to do the inverse of this, add the footwell lighting to a 2022. I might look into it because the footwell lighting looks really nice.

Would anyone be able to share a picture of where they are mounted on the 23's?
There are pre-cut areas under the dash near the footwells. All you'd need to do is buy the lights, pop them in the openings and wire them up.

Sponsored

801Maverick801

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

NZ6Z-14A318-A

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg
Would you mind posting photos of where the footwell lights are installed? Im going to do the inverse of what you have, my XLT has the center console ambient lighting.

blackb13

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think it’s stupid that Ford didn’t put their ambient lighting in the center where you really need it and I noticed it on my lariat. That came out great but don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Agreed.

At the very least some cupholder ones. But that center console one should be plenty to illuminate the cup holders enough to see out of your peripherals while driving at night.

no ty to bright
The ambient light on the Mavericks is adjustable. It's not as bright as the pictures make it seem. But the installed aftermarket one could be.

That USB light is adjustable though. That might help bridge the gap of simplicity with an adjustable brightness. The only thing I don't like is you would need to keep that flap open or it would shine straight outwards.

I'd personally just like some cupholder ambient lighting. They did a great job with the rest of the ambient lighting on this truck but totally neglected the center console. It's just odd.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love this idea and want to duplicate it. I have an XLT and it has the center cubby light. Heres the thing though, I wish it stayed on at night when driving. Is there a way I can change it so it stays lit?
IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

NZ6Z-14A318-A

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg
Thank you for the tutorial on this. Would you happen to have the PN# of the foot well lights and pix of where they mount underneath. I want to do like you have, but the opposite. I have an XLT with the console light, but also want the foot well lights. I have no problem cutting and splicing in wires.

Thanks
Matt
Sponsored