2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Pretty sure Ford does not make airbags so this could happen to any manufacturer. As you recall when the Takata airbags were recalled it was millions of vehicles from dozens of brands. This could be related to the newness of the Maverick and the first attempt to fit units that function correctly.
Sponsored

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My truck, that I ordered in September 2021, arrived at my dealer Thursday, September 22. I tried to pay for it and take delivery the 23rd but because of the side curtain airbag recall the dealer could not sell it to me. It’s still mine but the airbags have to changed out before I can get it. So it is sitting in my dealers back lot until the parts come in and Ford says that will be in the first quarter of 2023. I have written letters to Ford and called the NHTSA and filed a complaint because 4-6 months waiting on parts is not a “reasonable time”. I suggest everyone that has the same problem call and complain to Ford and call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 to file a complaint. This is ridiculous to have my truck sit for that long and Ford not furnish parts to fix it. Again…this is only for trucks arriving at dealers that can not be delivered to the buyers due to the side curtain airbag recall 22V594.
Have you look at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup ?

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. That absolutely sucks for OP and others that are in the same boat. Since the letter states it is Federal law that dealers have to complete the repair before delivery or face fines per vehicle, I'm not sure how effective writing and calling with complaints will be. There would need to be an exemption to the law, which pretty much means another law, and getting that done thru Congress will take longer than waiting for the parts to be available. I sincerely sympathize for OP and the like.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To add to the anguish, parts for the airbag recall are not expected before Jan/2023-

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. That absolutely sucks for OP and others that are in the same boat. Since the letter states it is Federal law that dealers have to complete the repair before delivery or face fines per vehicle, I'm not sure how effective writing and calling with complaints will be. There would need to be an exemption to the law, which pretty much means another law, and getting that done thru Congress will take longer than waiting for the parts to be available. I sincerely sympathize for OP and the like.
As it sits, the vehicle is not compliant with FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) and thus is not permitted to be sold to OP (or Ford Credit if leasing) as a new vehicle.

The only path forward is to wait for the airbags to be replaced. No amount of complaining will change that.

The dealer doesn't want it sitting on their lot that long any more than you do. It's going to cost them money every month that it sits there. Their incentive is to sell it to you. Remind them of that and push for them to get the replacement parts as soon as available, and to contact their Ford reps to expedite if possible.

Sponsored

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Complaining may get you an airbag faster... they clearly exist and are being installed in Mavericks currently.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got my recall letter today. It said I would be notified when the part is available. It said: Ford Motor company is not instructing me to stop driving the vehicle. Seems strange that over 60k Mavs can be driven with recall but cannot get one from the dealer. I realize it is laws, regulations, and liabilities, but still makes little sense!!! :unsure: :unsure: o_O

Detailer1965

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
My truck, that I ordered in September 2021, arrived at my dealer Thursday, September 22. I tried to pay for it and take delivery the 23rd but because of the side curtain airbag recall the dealer could not sell it to me. It’s still mine but the airbags have to changed out before I can get it. So it is sitting in my dealers back lot until the parts come in and Ford says that will be in the first quarter of 2023. I have written letters to Ford and called the NHTSA and filed a complaint because 4-6 months waiting on parts is not a “reasonable time”. I suggest everyone that has the same problem call and complain to Ford and call the NHTSA at 888-327-4236 to file a complaint. This is ridiculous to have my truck sit for that long and Ford not furnish parts to fix it. Again…this is only for trucks arriving at dealers that can not be delivered to the buyers due to the side curtain airbag recall 22V594.

Sponsored

Detailer1965

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Same thing happened to me. Today actually October 12th. I've been waiting 13 months they shipped my vehicle last week to me and received it quickly from Mexico Northern California they moved my build date five times. And then ship it to me with bad airbags. I did not find this out until an hour before I was going to pick it up. The dealer let me know I'll be waiting months in order to be able to get that truck. I believe that manufacturer should inform me they were shipping my vehicle but it could not be delivered until airbags were fixed Yes I've been bummed out but at least I've known ahead of time. Bad bad customer relations on Ford side.

dhvgb1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hybrid (2014), Honda CR-V (2018)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Add me to the list. I paid and picked up my Lariat Lux on 10/18 only to have the dealer "repossess" the vehicle the next morning when registration flagged it as under the stop ship order (as it had been assembled on 7/5/22). I got one ten mile drive home @ 41 mpg. <sigh>

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Add me to the list. I paid and picked up my Lariat Lux on 10/18 only to have the dealer "repossess" the vehicle the next morning when registration flagged it as under the stop ship order (as it had been assembled on 7/5/22). I got one ten mile drive home @ 41 mpg. <sigh>
Wow how bout if you traded something in. Did you get it back? Maybe a Clark Griswald moment?

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They came and got it back ? I would have umm nope - I have a 5/23 build date Maverick in the garage and enjoying it , the recall letter collects dust in the filing cabinet. Sucks to those with the hold/stop.
Sponsored