Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wasn't about to buy a Ranger, so the Maverick didn't cannibalize a sale in my case.

I replaced my old '89 Toyota Pickup with a Honda Element. Loved both, because they carried bikes, gear, kayaks, building supplies, etc. When my son crashed my Element, I failed to find anything similar. I looked at the Tacoma, Ranger, and Frontier--but they were all HUGE and expensive, with terrible gas mileage. SUVs are all too plush, expensive, and lack utility. I got really excited when I heard about the Maverick hybrid--it seemed to be a good size with decent gas mileage, and lots of utility. I'm a little nervous about buying a Ford, but I'll probably add the Ford extended warranty to ease the anxiety. If Toyota comes out with something similar or better (PHEV, please!), then I might trade the Maverick. Edit: Or might end up feeling better about Ford, and staying with the brand (time will tell).
Sponsored

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
I'm a little nervous about buying a Ford

Relax Toby, don't get nervous until you buy Korean or Euro. I once own a Smart car, to bad the Germans made it. It was $25 dollars just to shake the mechanics hand. :)
When you get to the Koreans and start digging into it you discover there really is no value.

That KIA Soul, just to get an engine immobilizer require two trim levels up, which helps explain why KIA and Hyundai are stolen so much. But if you buy into the car rags bragging about them take a deep breath and understand they are being paid big bucks to hype the bulsht.

Just be careful you never buy a Tesla made in China and who knows what GM will be shipping out of that dump.

HPR

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe I will drive my Mav until the new ranger debuts, sell it for $5k or more than what I paid for it, and get an ranger. :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Minister Lewis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Altima Coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been wanting a truck for the last 10 years and nothing out there was what I was looking for. Too big, too expensive, and the gas mileage sucked. When I saw the Maverick it was everything I had been looking for. So no cannabilizing here.

Texchappy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Slight canibalization her. Looked at the Ranger but part of the needing another vehicle was one that my son could learn to drive in. Ranger was definitely on the larger end of what I’d like him to have to handle; the Maverick is much better in that regard.

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As for myself, it didn't cannibalize me, as there is next to no chance of me buying the current Ranger.
Same here.

I was never even considering a Ranger. I had owned a 1998 Ford Ranger Super Cab for 16 years and loved it but then Ford pulled the Ranger from their line up then years later re-introduced it at a sky high price.

For fun I put together two builds of the current Rangers to compare to what I previously owned (Ranger Super Cab XLT) and the Ranger Crew Cab XLT that compares to the Maverick XLT.

The Ranger Super Cab XLT has a MSRP of $30,210
The Ranger Crew Cab XLT has a MSRP of $31,990

These were basically XLT with no adds.

Comparing my Maverick XLT Hybrid with Co-Pilot360, Splash Guards, Bed Mat, Manual Rear Sliding Window, Wheel Lock Kit, Floor Liners - All Weather Tray Style Set and 110V/400W outlet in cab for MSRP of $25,180 and the Rangers above is no contest. Maverick all the way.

P.S. I am buying the Splash Guards, Bed Mat, Wheel Lock Kit and Floor Liners - All Weather Tray Style Set in the aftermarket or at ford parts so as to not hold up my order.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't forget, the step in height is probably a very nice thing for "older" folks.

I don't think you need to make advertisements targeted towards older folks, though. I bet if you did, the urban truck buyer may be turned off.
The added bonus is the "older" people buying the Maverick

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Relax Toby, don't get nervous until you buy Korean or Euro. I once own a Smart car, to bad the Germans made it. It was $25 dollars just to shake the mechanics hand. :)
When you get to the Koreans and start digging into it you discover there really is no value.

That KIA Soul, just to get an engine immobilizer require two trim levels up, which helps explain why KIA and Hyundai are stolen so much. But if you buy into the car rags bragging about them take a deep breath and understand they are being paid big bucks to hype the bulsht.

Just be careful you never buy a Tesla made in China and who knows what GM will be shipping out of that dump.
Don't know about an engine immobilizer... But the only thing my GF and I hate about her Kia Soul, is the horrible mileage. Only about 26 mpg ! Seriously, for a little 4 cylinder car, wtf is that ?

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know about an engine immobilizer... But the only thing my GF and I hate about her Kia Soul, is the horrible mileage. Only about 26 mpg ! Seriously, for a little 4 cylinder car, wtf is that ?
I hear ya. My 4 banger Audi, granted a turbo too, only gets me 22-23 city. Ughhh.

Can’t wait to get maybe 40 with the hybrid.

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I truly wanted to go with the Ranger as it was introduced and followed its progress as it went into production @ MAP. When I finally drove one I was dismally disappointed.... good power but lackluster steering and road feel. Cab, meh - seemed dated but not Frontier dated 🥸, still not the “ right “ size.

So along comes Maverick.... hopes are high but I will need to get eyes and hands on it to make certain. That day will be coming soon.

PS: I do remember my older brothers nearly new
( demonstrator) 1999 Ranger - standard model red in color and zero options.... for $5400. I thought he was silly and cheap at the time but he drove it until he passed in 2011 then we donated it to Disabled American Vets for a very good cause. They made some cash off of it and I hope it’s still serving someone.

Last edited:
Sponsored

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
But the only thing my GF and I hate about her Kia Soul, is the horrible mileage. Only about 26 mpg ! Seriously, for a little 4 cylinder car, wtf is that ?

Yeah, the older years were not good. The new model that came out last year is much better because of the CVT they are using, and it's even a more powerful engine.

Also remember this it's a box on wheels, the poor gas mileage is because it's not aerodynamic.
But check this out, the new model has 62 cubic feet of storage inside, with head room and leg room in the rear that even some full size SUV's can't touch.

It's a modern day station wagon. It's not even classified as a SUV, it's classified as a wagon.
I'll be honest, I really like the new one. But when I stated digging into it and saw how they were saving money on the cost it turned me off.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the new ranger looks good. Reminds me of the late 90s early 2000s f-150. It's just to expensive. I think the Maverick will be great and can't wait for my XL hybrid. It would have been nice if Ford could of added made the bed 5 feet.

NapsterKnowHow

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
The added bonus is the "older" people buying the Maverick
Exactly. I keep hearing my dad say, "I wanted a Ranger but it's the size of my old F150." It's insane how much trucks have grown in size. They've grown so much they are literally an entire model up from before. My dad wants a Maverick because it's the size of the Rangers he knew before. This truck size inflation is going to hurt the industry as time goes on. The F150 is literally a boat it's so damn big.

Last edited:

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
I was hyped for the Maverick, but the Ranger is going to cannabalize my sale. There's definitely some overlap in the target market, but not as much as one might think I'm my opinion, especially as you move away from urban centers.

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
I seem to be the outlier here, but I was holding out for the new Ranger. As a mid-30's homeowner with two children, we really need a truck. We currently own an Odyssey which can fit a metric-f-ton with the third row seats folded down but we are also banging up the interior. I'm also into the outdoors and a slammed Honda Fit isn't very practical for gravel roads or even primitive boat launches. I scrape getting out of my driveway 😬

I actually really like the exterior of the current Ford Ranger but the interior + infotainment with the inset screen really turned me off. Also, car seats are surprisingly tight in the rear.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Maverick due to:
  • AWD + Ecoboost + Unibody should make spirited driving a bit more fun in the twisties.
  • More interior room than the Ranger which is huge when you have two car seats.
  • I *rarely* tow anything and the Odyssey can tow up to 3,500 pounds. I opted for the 4K tow package so if I do tow something, I won't have to strain the Odyssey :)
  • Functionality vs Price. This was the biggest reason picking the Maverick over the Ranger. I ended up getting a fully optioned AWD Ecoboost Lariat at Chapman for sub $35K. A similar equipped Ranger would roughly be $10K more.
  • In my use case, payload is more important than towing - landscape stones, plywood, sheetrock, mulch, etc. I believe I saw the payload capacity for the AWD Ecoboost is just over 1400lbs which is within a stone's throw of midsize trucks.
The Maverick fulfills all my needs at a much cheaper price. The Ranger would've far exceeded my needs at a much more expensive price. I would've settled for the Ranger because there were no other options at the time prior to the Maverick 🤷‍♂️

Ford Maverick Cannabilizing Ranger sales, or not? w8zea6fbumv01
Sponsored