First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After about 13,000 miles and one year I checked the cabin air filter, and just like the C-Max with similar mileage, it was dirty gray and needed changing. It appears there has been a change in the part number: no longer FP-89 as listed on page 357 of the '22 manual; it is now FP-100-A. Fairly simple to DIY, and there are helpful videos:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good video. I agree with avoiding HEPA cabin air filters. I got a Bosch one a few years ago, and it did seem like air flow was down, maybe too much, so that the ventilation motors drew too much current.

Maybe a good way to find out if a Cabin Air Filter (CAF) is too clogged, is to figure out if the air-flow is down. https://www.amazon.com/Anemometer-Handheld-Detector-Temperature-Windsurfing/dp/B07ZJ38ZMX/
Probably easier ways than spending $17 on the Amazon device, but if you have several cars, this could pay for itself in no time. Replace when air flow speed is down at a given vent, same conditions, by 25%.

....and just like the C-Max with similar mileage, ....
Hey, former C-Max driver here too! ...... Fun-2-drive, got 44 MPG long-term, mysteriously almost exactly what my Maverick is getting long-term, so Ford must have made some eCVT control algorithm changes, motor efficiency gains, etc. since the 2011-designed C-Max jelly bean.

Changing a CAF in a C-Max (or my former similar chassis car, Ford Focus Electric) is a pain! Had to wrangle it in there, almost tearing it to cram it in. Maverick much easier.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My tidbit of wisdom:
Make sure you don't put much down pressure on the glove box while open when trying to remove the damper. Where the damper is connected behind the dash is bit flimsy and the pin can easily bend or break off. It might be a good idea to add something to help firm it up like JBWeld PlasticWeld.

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thank you for the video and reminding me it's time for me to replace my cabin air filter!

Here is a link to the Evil Empire's site narrowed down to Lariat Hybrid options. (Not sure it matters but the people saving the earth by naming arenas asked for it.)

Amazon.com

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'd never use Fords garbage thin cabin air filter. So many better options out there to filter the air.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'd never use Fords garbage thin cabin air filter. So many better options out there to filter the air.
I've been quite happy with the Ford OEM filter compared to other 3rd party filters I've had on other vehicles. I'm glad they made it super easy to change too.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been quite happy with the Ford OEM filter compared to other 3rd party filters I've had on other vehicles. I'm glad they made it super easy to change too.
It is easy but the filter lacks filtration. The paper is too thin. I prefer thicker charcoal filters.

midcoastme

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 PT Cruisers & Maverick Lariat Hybrid.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good video. I agree with avoiding HEPA cabin air filters. I got a Bosch one a few years ago, and it did seem like air flow was down, maybe too much, so that the ventilation motors drew too much current.

Maybe a good way to find out if a Cabin Air Filter (CAF) is too clogged, is to figure out if the air-flow is down. https://www.amazon.com/Anemometer-Handheld-Detector-Temperature-Windsurfing/dp/B07ZJ38ZMX/
Probably easier ways than spending $17 on the Amazon device, but if you have several cars, this could pay for itself in no time. Replace when air flow speed is down at a given vent, same conditions, by 25%.

Hey, former C-Max driver here too! ...... Fun-2-drive, got 44 MPG long-term, mysteriously almost exactly what my Maverick is getting long-term, so Ford must have made some eCVT control algorithm changes, motor efficiency gains, etc. since the 2011-designed C-Max jelly bean.

Changing a CAF in a C-Max (or my former similar chassis car, Ford Focus Electric) is a pain! Had to wrangle it in there, almost tearing it to cram it in. Maverick much easier.
A pain doesn't begin to describe the C-max cabin filter replacement.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Must be dirty where you live I went 45K over 4 years and changed mine then at it wasn't really dirty.

Sponsored

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After about 13,000 miles and one year I checked the cabin air filter, and just like the C-Max with similar mileage, it was dirty gray and needed changing. It appears there has been a change in the part number: no longer FP-89 as listed on page 357 of the '22 manual; it is now FP-100-A. Fairly simple to DIY, and there are helpful videos:

Does anyone know what, if any, significant difference there is between the FP89 and the FP100A?
(I've already purchased the K&N VF3021 equivalent to the FP89).

*Edit* I think I have found the answer to my own question above; RockAuto shows the FP100A as the Motorcraft filter also, but when we click "Info" the bottom of the page shows "OEM/Interchange numbers: FP100, FP89, FP99" Not sure what the differences are between the three FP filters, but My K&N should work.

Last edited:

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, I didn’t know where to cringe in this video…..
I just want to know if it can be possible to accidentally install upside down. Bought a used Prius and the upside down installed flitter collapsed on itself and restricted airflow so badly the whole vent system collected AC condensation and stunk up badly. A fresh charcoal filter from RockAuto installed correctly fixed everything AC related.
Sponsored