First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have been overwhelmed with the sales for the parts we've released for the truck! Thank you all very much!

After many weeks on the dyno and logging the truck we've found the heat to be the #1 issue with making more power. The catalytic converter temps, the intake temps post intercooler are both major issues to work around.

The intercooler on the truck, no surprise, is a piece of garbage, yes, garbage. It is by far the lightest intercooler I've ever seen. The intercooler is there to remove heat from the intake charge after the air has been compressed by the turbo. A small lightweight intercooler can not do that job. The factory intercooler measures 2.5" thick, 25" long and 5.75" tall, giving it an overall basic volume of 359 cubic inches.

We have replaced that with a core made in the USA, bar and plate core that is 24"x6"x6" with an overall basic volume of 864 cubic inches. The core we are using is rated for 575 horsepower. This will keep the intake temps from climbing the ridiculous amount that they do now, provide much less pressure drop across the core and maintain good intake temps while towing.

There is cutting required of the plastic around the intercooler.

The pictures are of the mocked up tanks, which are going out to be laser cut/bent today. The factory intercooler has a very unique connector on them, no clamps, similar to a wiggins type connections for those familiar with that. It's a great design and our intercooler will utilize those same factory connectors. Those will need to be CNC'd from aluminum and those samples are being dropped off today also. I'm hoping within two weeks we have dyno work, data and the intercoolers ready to ship.

Pricing is hard to guess at this point because of the CNC work that will be required for the inlet/outlets. Right now I'm guessing the entire kit will come in around $750.

Ford Maverick Buschur's much need front mount intercooler for 2.0L underway! IMG_0533
Ford Maverick Buschur's much need front mount intercooler for 2.0L underway! IMG_0532
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice. Really getting serious about ordering a Mav. Things stay hot out here in the tropics. Out of curiosity is a intercooler upgrade considered something that will affect warranty? I've never had a vehicle worth enough to have a warranty on :ROFLMAO:. I just know that new cars break alot and require alot of dealer maintence and dont want any trouble. But my last maverick weighed 2900lb and had 400hp, I want this one to have a little get up. But want to stay in that area of not getting screwed.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice. Really getting serious about ordering a Mav. Things stay hot out here in the tropics. Out of curiosity is a intercooler upgrade considered something that will affect warranty? I've never had a vehicle worth enough to have a warranty on :ROFLMAO:. I just know that new cars break alot and require alot of dealer maintence and dont want any trouble. But my last maverick weighed 2900lb and had 400hp, I want this one to have a little get up. But want to stay in that area of not getting screwed.
Hard to say, these dealers are all over the place with their policies. Reality it, it should extend your warranty, it controls heat better, that is going to extend the life of the engine.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Beautiful! Good work again David!
Thank you! Wait until you see when it's not half cardboard with all the nice CNC'd inlets on it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is cool stuff (y) Cannot wait until we have a horsepower war with different Mavericks.
Me too! The Shootout, which is a large race we started 28 years ago, now has Ecoboost classes! It's Sept30-Oct 2nd 2022 at Summit Motorsports Park in Ohio.

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
This core isn’t too big? Too much intercooler can be a hinderance too.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This core isn’t too big? Too much intercooler can be a hinderance too.
Definitely not too big and incorrect on the second part of your statement.

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
Definitely not too big and incorrect on the second part of your statement.
Glad to hear in the size but we will have to disagree on the second point.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad to hear in the size but we will have to disagree on the second point.
Fair enough.......haha.....32 years of setting records in the turbo 4 cylinder world, owned a dyno since 1998.... you can have your opinion.

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
Fair enough.......haha.....32 years of setting records in the turbo 4 cylinder world, owned a dyno since 1998.... you can have your opinion.
I know what you do and i admire that. But I’ve seen it on many platforms throughout the years.

Deleted member 9167

Do you have an image of the stock intercooler? I'm just curious to know what it looks like without a bumper in the way...

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have an image of the stock intercooler? I'm just curious to know what it looks like without a bumper in the way...
I do not, didn't take any getting it apart and now the stock one is cut up, we had to send the tanks to the machine shop.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is still against the radiator on the back side? This wouldnt let much air flow go over the fins and you would have to match the radiator fins also or you would even have less air flow. No matter how big the IC is if you dont have air flow its going to get hot. I think this is why the manufacturer made a tin core cause its also sandwich to the radiator. At this point water/meth injection would be the best solution to keep intake air temp under control. Just my two cents.
We all have our "two cents". What you are saying is partially correct but the same on every single car ever produced and the theory of it "not working" is incorrect. You can use meth/water injection if you like, I've found them to be a hassle and extremely unreliable, even more so on something that is going to stay in boost when you are towing, the tank will drain quickly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.