Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had a similar issue with a Honda Accord (leaking sunroof). The part was usually not covered under warranty, but a call to Honda corporate and explanation of the issue (that it was due to manufacturing defect), the part and labor was covered. Sometimes a little bit of legwork is needed to have items approved under warranty.
FWIW. I had a Chevrolet and the CV joint failed took it in and got it fixed under warranty, 3300 miles later 13,500 total miles it went out again and they said I had to pay. I called the Florida distributor in Jacksonville. After getting the official reply I asked them to send me a letter confirming that it is not unusual for a 1985 ( new)Chevrolet to have major drivetrain issues with in the first 15,000 miles. The person put me on hold came back and told me I had an appointment at the local dealer to fix it free. Might try it, good luck.
Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Call Ford Corporate and try to get help that way. Explain to them that your ownership experience has turned sour because of the issue and you're thinking that you'll never buy a Ford again.

bill67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought premium extended warranty
Don't see heat exchanger listed.In high tech section under hybrid it excluded high voltage battery & high voltage wiring.

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, I do feel bad for you. Then again, at 36,001 miles, you are OUT OF WARRANTY. So, while it would be awesome if Ford would step up to the plate and take care of you, they are not obligated to do so. And while your frustration is understandable, it is what it is.

Buying an extended warranty, or not buying one, is a gamble. Either way, there's a 50 percent chance you wasted money. If you buy the extended warranty and never need a major repair, you lost. If you don't buy the extended warranty and do have a major repair, you lost.

We all have to decide which side of that gamble we want to be on when the time comes.
I would say less than 50% it pays off. Ford (the house) has to make money on the extended warranties or they could not afford to sell them. So, if Ford takes all the money they get from extended warranties, and then they look at what they pay out in extended warranties, they (surely) must be coming out ahead. If not, they do not have a sustainable business model for extended warranties and they would no longer offer them.

To OP, fwiw, my experience with warranties (and insurance) the very first tact the company will take is to try to figure out how not to pay out. They usually have some fine print you (nor I) read that gives them an out in many cases.

Rod

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
THIS IS SILLY STUFF..DRAMA

Sponsored

GA Hot Pepper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E, F-150 Lariat, Toyota 4 Runner
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cost of ESP warranty plans from good sized Ford dealer. To get quote, just answer a few questions, mileage, state, model yr. Prices on attached chart

Ford Maverick Beware: Heat Exchanger not covered under warranty 92482852-1721-4E54-ADF3-7BDAB4C9B41D

jahl

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would say less than 50% it pays off. Ford (the house) has to make money on the extended warranties or they could not afford to sell them. So, if Ford takes all the money they get from extended warranties, and then they look at what they pay out in extended warranties, they (surely) must be coming out ahead. If not, they do not have a sustainable business model for extended warranties and they would no longer offer them.
To anyone that says "do not buy the warranty because the house always wins", I would say: Yes, the house always does win, but the house wins in health, home, and auto insurance too. Would you opt out of those?

OP
OP

Freeb22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius, Jeep Liberty, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have tried to contact corporate and have been told by three different customer service reps that the only way to contact the warranty department is through the dealership. They don’t have a direct way to contact. Tomorrow I’ll be dropping a letter to my dealership and hopefully be able to escalate this up to the appropriate people. I bet most people stop when there’s no way to get in contact with anyone higher up.

vinnymac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Posting this as a caution to anyone considering a hybrid. This is concerning the heat exchanger which seems to be a common issue. I took delivery of my truck 3-28-2022. Around September with 20,000 miles I had an appointment scheduled for an engine shield recall. Days before my appointment, I began to get notifications in the app that battery power was low and all remote systems were disabled. Dealer found no issue causing this. Now at 38,000 miles, I have a check engine light with codes 237c and 237d. The cause was deemed to be the heat exchanger in the hybrid system (GREAT! Should be under the hybrid system warranty). Wrong. Sent home with the vehicle and told it is safe to drive. After speaking with the warranty department, I’m on my own for a $1500 repair on a part that should be covered under warranty. I have a shake at idle that started when the check engine light came on also. I was told that sometimes they’d offer to cover the cost based on circumstances but since I’m not a loyal ford customer, I’m out of luck. Mind you, I’m 26 and this is my first new vehicle ever owned. Just beware that after the 36,000 mile warranty, it’s a crapshoot whether anything (including power train) will be covered. Despite being maintained based on the maintenance schedule and services being done at the dealer, ford doesn’t care. Mine will be for sale after this repair and I’ll be Toyota shopping again based on solely customer service. My dealer’s service manager told me that this seems to be a common theme with ford’s warranty department in the last year. He told me that they thought it would be covered without question and he even requested it be covered again to no avail.
I don’t see this vehicle making it to 100,000 miles without extensive repairs and costs.
Posting this as a caution to anyone considering a hybrid. This is concerning the heat exchanger which seems to be a common issue. I took delivery of my truck 3-28-2022. Around September with 20,000 miles I had an appointment scheduled for an engine shield recall. Days before my appointment, I began to get notifications in the app that battery power was low and all remote systems were disabled. Dealer found no issue causing this. Now at 38,000 miles, I have a check engine light with codes 237c and 237d. The cause was deemed to be the heat exchanger in the hybrid system (GREAT! Should be under the hybrid system warranty). Wrong. Sent home with the vehicle and told it is safe to drive. After speaking with the warranty department, I’m on my own for a $1500 repair on a part that should be covered under warranty. I have a shake at idle that started when the check engine light came on also. I was told that sometimes they’d offer to cover the cost based on circumstances but since I’m not a loyal ford customer, I’m out of luck. Mind you, I’m 26 and this is my first new vehicle ever owned. Just beware that after the 36,000 mile warranty, it’s a crapshoot whether anything (including power train) will be covered. Despite being maintained based on the maintenance schedule and services being done at the dealer, ford doesn’t care. Mine will be for sale after this repair and I’ll be Toyota shopping again based on solely customer service. My dealer’s service manager told me that this seems to be a common theme with ford’s warranty department in the last year. He told me that they thought it would be covered without question and he even requested it be covered again to no avail.
I don’t see this vehicle making it to 100,000 miles without extensive repairs and costs.
Call the customer help line for ford start a case and get a case number and head back to the dealer and request a representative from ford to look over your problem.

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
800-392-3673

and yes the heat exchanger is unique to the hybrid and therefore should be covered by the extended hybrid warranty.

good luck.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am pretty sure this IS a warrantable repair. Either part of the powertrain or specific to the hybrid system ( warms the battery pack). Make sure you talk with the Service Manager, not just a service writer about this.....

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Couldn't the OP visit another dealer?

crunchie_frog

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT 2.0 4K, 1999 & 2000 5.0 AWD Mountaineers
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To anyone that says "do not buy the warranty because the house always wins", I would say: Yes, the house always does win, but the house wins in health, home, and auto insurance too. Would you opt out of those?
As much as I feel like biting off, yes. Which in my case is I have covered liability only for many years on not brand new vehicles. Home is a different story, yes, but the costs of the insurance vs the replacement cost of the home is a very small fraction. Health, already do it with hi deductible policy. Costs of warranty vs what you might get paid is likely not to be the same fraction of home insurance costs vs home replacement costs.
Sponsored