Sponsored

Battery life expectancy for hybrid Maverick?

DAM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know what the life expectancy might be for the hybrid battery and what the cost will be to replace it?
Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what the life expectancy might be for the hybrid battery and what the cost will be to replace it?
One day past the warranty period.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Replacement cost? Less than 20k more than 1$? We won’t know for a bit.

warranty on the battery is considered a wear part and is only as per fords warranty manual
“
The electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle is covered by the
Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component coverage for eight years or
100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The components in the electrical
drivetrain system of your vehicle will vary, depending on whether your
vehicle is a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, but you can rest assured knowing that
your vehicle’s electrical drivetrain system is covered by this
comprehensive warranty. Depending on your vehicle, electrical drivetrain
system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not
limited to: high-voltage battery, high-voltage battery connector, battery
energy control module (BECM), on-board charger, inverter system
controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, hybrid continuously variable
transmission or electric driveline motor and transmission range sensor. If
an electrical drivetrain system component requires replacement under
warranty, it may be replaced with a new, factory remanufactured, or
factory refurbished component, at Ford’s discretion. Refurbished battery
components selected for your vehicle will align with your vehicle’s age
and mileage, and meet Ford’s stringent requirements and standards. (see

Note: High Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss
The high voltage battery will experience gradual capacity loss with time
and use, similar to all batteries, which is considered normal wear and
tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity
loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your
Owner’s Manual for important tips on how to maximize the life and
capacity of the high voltage battery.”

OP
OP
DAM

DAM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the info

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take a look at the articles about Escape Hybrid taxis in NYC. Well over 250k miles. Some were still going with >400k miles. I rode in several very well worn hybrid taxis in NYC & Chicago. The Maverick Hybrid descents from the same lineage, though the battery chemistry has changed.

HV battery SoC will go down over time, like any ol' rechargable battery. That effectively means your MPG gains diminish over the years, but it doesn't mean the vehicle dies. These hybrid batteries don't "die" unless the owner leaves the vehicle parked for months, or some electrical failure happens. Even if there is failure, the HV batteries are really battery packs made up of several modules/cells. Bad cells/modules can be replaced. Worst case, if the whole battery has major failure and you're 8+ years / 100k+ miles, there's a growing 3rd party market refurbishing HV hybrid batteries.

Keep driving, don't worry, come back in 8 years + 1 day when the warranty expires :)

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take a look at the articles about Escape Hybrid taxis in NYC. Well over 250k miles. Some were still going with >400k miles. I rode in several very well worn hybrid taxis in NYC & Chicago. The Maverick Hybrid descents from the same lineage, though the battery chemistry has changed.

HV battery SoC will go down over time, like any ol' rechargable battery. That effectively means your MPG gains diminish over the years, but it doesn't mean the vehicle dies. These hybrid batteries don't "die" unless the owner leaves the vehicle parked for months, or some electrical failure happens. Even if there is failure, the HV batteries are really battery packs made up of several modules/cells. Bad cells/modules can be replaced. Worst case, if the whole battery has major failure and you're 8+ years / 100k+ miles, there's a growing 3rd party market refurbishing HV hybrid batteries.

Keep driving, don't worry, come back in 8 years + 1 day when the warranty expires :)
I have read the article about the NYC taxis. One thing to consider, at the time of writing, those batteries had very high miles, but were not necessarily old; the article referenced 70,000-80,000 a year, meaning those batteries could be less than 5 years old. That being said, I believe age plays a part in degradation, as well as charge cycles.

Still, I'm not very concerned. It's a technology that was developed by Ford (and Toyota) that has been proven in Ford (and Toyota) cars to be reliable. I was anti-CVT until I learned this, now I'm all in.

Westsidetruck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Hybrid
I am not exactly sure that I like that the battery can be replaced with a refurbished one at Ford’s discretion. It is an expensive component, so I understand why they would want to use a refurbished part. That said, the factory warranty is the factory warranty and I would expect that you would get a new battery. Also, it says that the refurbished items will align with the vehicle’s age and mileage. Not necessarily a great thing if you need to have the battery replaced at 80,000 miles and get a refurbished battery that aligns with that 80,000 miles. All of that said, hybrids have come a long way over the last 25 years, And the fact that Toyota warranties them for 150,000 miles tends to lend credence to the fact that they are pretty reliable.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing to consider, at the time of writing, those batteries had very high miles, but were not necessarily old; the article referenced 70,000-80,000 a year, meaning those batteries could be less than 5 years old.
IIRC all of the Escape taxis were Gen2, Ford stop making that Hybrid in 2012, and the articles were 2018-2019. So yea 6+ years old but I think the bigger point is the high mileage.

Here's an interesting comparison: gas powertrains have been around for a over 100yrs but manufacturers still usually put 5yr/60k warranty on them. Hybrid powertrains are about 2 decades old and manufacturers give 8yr & 100k+ warranties. That difference is interesting.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
The owners manual (not the warranty booklet) says it’s good for the life of the vehicle.

Well that really narrows it down! LOL.

As a multi hybrid owner, I’ve been following hybrid forums for many, many years and I’m seeing anywhere from 10-15+ years before individual modules begin failing. There are, of course, many exceptions to that rule of thumb. Climate seems to be the biggest factor as current battery chemistry really likes 60-80f temps. They don’t perform as well in the cold but heat brings degradation.

As one automotive battery engineer told me, “If you’re comfortable, so’s the battery.” Easy enough.

Sponsored

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I drive a Prius (currently around 65k miles on it). I have friends and family members who drive hybrids. I've never known any of them to need to replace a hybrid battery, even the ones with 200k miles.

Based on numerous tests and reviews over the last 15 years, you'll be more likely to replace a gas tank or an engine than a hybrid battery.

But, obviously, weird stuff CAN happen. I once had to replace a transmission on a Honda Accord at 52k miles.

But, in answer to your question, Ford service technicians can replace a hybrid battery. Sooner or later, there'll be videos that show how to replace it yourself like there are now for the Prius.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's warrantied for 8 years. I'm not worried about it.
The issue I see is that Ford will not necessarily replace a 6yr old battery with a new or even newly refurbished one. They retain the discretion to replace it with one that matches the age/mileage of the vehicle.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The issue I see is that Ford will not necessarily replace a 6yr old battery with a new or even newly refurbished one. They retain the discretion to replace it with one that matches the age/mileage of the vehicle.
Do you have data to back that up? Personal opinion is nice, but I have known Toyota owners get Hybrid Batteries replaced at the 7yr mark with brand new ones.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have data to back that up? Personal opinion is nice, but I have known Toyota owners get Hybrid Batteries replaced at the 7yr mark with brand new ones.
“P 12: (bottom of page) 2022 Ford Warranty found at https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...id-Warranty-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_12_2020.pdf
If an electrical drivetrain system component requires replacement under warranty, it may be replaced with a new, factory remanufactured, or factory refurbished component, at Ford’s discretion. Refurbished battery components selected for your vehicle will align with your vehicle’s age and mileage, and meet Ford’s stringent requirements and standards. (see Note: High-Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss below).
Note: High Voltage Battery Gradual Capacity Loss
The high voltage battery will experience gradual capacity loss with time and use, similar to all batteries, which is considered normal wear and tear. Loss of battery capacity due to or resulting from gradual capacity loss is NOT covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See your Owner’s Manual for important tips on how to maximize the life and capacity of the high voltage battery.”
Sponsored

Last edited: