First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Mustang GT- Silver, '15 Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having some second thoughts to procure the Maverick and it centers around the back seat.

Does not fold flat
Bench, cannot access storage unless seat is clear

The design of this is fine if people are riding. Most of the time, I have stuff in the back and use the vehicle solo or with a single rider. From what I see with the rear seat is that it is practically locked in.

Would like thoughts and/or experience to share with the utility usage of the back seat.
Sponsored

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
" Bench, cannot access storage unless seat is clear "
Are there any trucks that have storage bins under the seat that you can access without clearing the seat off to fold it up? I cannot think of one

I would think hard about your needs and see if you really need an open bed or not. If not, then an SUV might fit your needs better.

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Everything is a compromise. I'm sure the engineers did what they did for a reason. (space, packaging, cost, etc). Is the overall Maverick package worth a little compormise on your expectations of rear seat flexibility? Would a Chrysler minivan with Stow and Go be better? Or a Tacoma? Only you can decide.

That said, I'm fine with it. I have to unhook my dog mat/seat protection thing to access the storage anyway, so I've learned to live with it. The stuff I keep under the seat isn't used much anyway... some tools, gloves, tie-down straps, flashlight, emergency blanket, etc.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel the bins under the seats make up for the inconvenience of it not being a split bench 50/50 or 60/40. I store all of my emergency supplies under there and call it a day. Air compressor, breaker bar, warm clothes, battery jump pack, medical kit, etc......

The seat not folding down flat is an annoyance, but it folds down most of the way. Still usable if you don't need a 100% flat surface. Especially if you don't have the headrests on and don't need your drivers seat pushed back all the way.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's an SUV with a truck bed. Always think of the Maverick in mindset. It is never going to have 100% of the conveniences of a true truck.

Sponsored

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's an SUV with a truck bed. Always think of the Maverick in mindset. It is never going to have 100% of the conveniences of a true truck.
No it's a truck. It even says it in the name of this forum.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
" Bench, cannot access storage unless seat is clear "
Are there any trucks that have storage bins under the seat that you can access without clearing the seat off to fold it up? I cannot think of one

I would think hard about your needs and see if you really need an open bed or not. If not, then an SUV might fit your needs better.
Perfect answer. SUV vs PU. An analogy to OP's question would be to ask why the open PU bed does not enclose - like an SUV. Remember a truck is a truck and an SUV is an SUV

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I feel the bins under the seats make up for the inconvenience of it not being a split bench 50/50 or 60/40.
That about the main thing I wish it had...a 60/40 split This way I could have one person ride in the back and still access under seat storage on one side or lay something "flatish" on one side...

But then, it isn't that big of deal since I plan on putting on a bed cover and I can just put some back there if it needs to be flat.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Having some second thoughts to procure the Maverick and it centers around the back seat.

Does not fold flat

The design of this is fine if people are riding. Most of the time, I have stuff in the back and use the vehicle solo or with a single rider. From what I see with the rear seat is that it is practically locked in.

Would like thoughts and/or experience to share with the utility usage of the back seat.
I guess I'm confused. If no one is riding in the back seat, why does it matter if the seat needs to be cleared to access the under bench storage? I get that you're putting stuff on the seat, but no truck lets you get to underseat storage if you don't take stuff off of it.

I mean, for max storage, you could always leave the seat in the open position, and work around the bin.

I guess if the Maverick doesn't offer enough in cab space for you, since the cabin isn't all that different than the size of a mid-size truck (thanks to the unibody construction), maybe a truck isn't the right route for you?

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That about the main thing I wish it had...a 60/40 split This way I could have one person ride in the back and still access under seat storage on one side or lay something "flatish" on one side...

But then, it isn't that big of deal since I plan on putting on a bed cover and I can just put some back there if it needs to be flat.
Yep. Before they released the 2023 changes, the two things everyone was wishing for was a split bench seat, and Eruption Green.

Sponsored

NewMavIL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep commonly used tie straps and bed net in the cubby in the truck bed.
I try to keep uncommonly used items under the rear seat since I always have a kids car seat back there, but there is a small slot between the seat cushion and bin that grocery bags can slide through.

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Does not fold flat

I wish it DID NOT have storage under the seat so I could fold it up and have a flat floor board to haul things in the dry.

dcs12345

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yep. Before they released the 2023 changes, the two things everyone was wishing for was a split bench seat, and Eruption Green.
I would have thought hard about eruption green for sure. Used to see green trucks all over the place in the 80-90s through the early 2000s...then it seems like they just stopped making them.

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel the bins under the seats make up for the inconvenience of it not being a split bench 50/50 or 60/40. I store all of my emergency supplies under there and call it a day. Air compressor, breaker bar, warm clothes, battery jump pack, medical kit, etc......

The seat not folding down flat is an annoyance, but it folds down most of the way. Still usable if you don't need a 100% flat surface. Especially if you don't have the headrests on and don't need your drivers seat pushed back all the way.
Same here. Electric pump, rope, roadside kit, gloves etc.

OP
OP

TexasHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Mustang GT- Silver, '15 Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you everyone. Supporting what I thought about the back seat.

Now considering not getting a Maverick and switching to an F-150 V8. I just think long term that Maverick back seat is a no go for my use case.

I would consider a Ranger but it has a Turbo. No more Turbo's coming my way under my wallet.
Sponsored