Sponsored

My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to…..

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picking up a small camper with mine on Monday. Will report back on how well it tows it, as it's kind of tall.
LS, please keep us posted on your new camper. I am considering an Outbound camper in the 1,000-1,300 pound range. I have the hybrid 2.5, so I don't have the 4-wheel drive, oil cooler, or 4,000 tow kit. I have the standard 2,000 lb kit. My biggest concern is SAFETY. An interesting test of the Maverick involved 1,850 lbs of a U-Haul trailer. The test was all on level ground, mostly Interstate driving, and the vehicle did well, However, the tester had his doubts about taking it onto mountainous inclines and downgrades. My usage would be all Interstate, but I don't want "my eyes to overload my ass." So, I will be more than interested to hear about your camper's weight and how your Maverick handled it. And any recommended do's and don'ts. As it stands right now, this idea is just a pipe dream, so I would like to hear from the "horse's mouth." Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

ltelmo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL and 2023 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Maverick has exceeded my expectations, On power, milage and drivability. It rides great, fantastic seats, does everything I have asked so far with a cheaper payment and lower insurance
What more do you want for a vehicle in todays dollars at $25k

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
It's the right amount of truck for most ordinary people would be a better statement. Lets face it, most of us aren't towing huge trailers, or having to haul 2500 lbs of large objects in the bed, making the Maverick the perfect vehicle.
I admit that my F-250 hauled sailboat fuel way, way more often than it hauled my 20' enclosed.

Even when I worked in telecomm cabling, there wasn't a whole lot that I couldn't haul with my Nissan Frontier's 5' bed and roof rack that my coworker could take in his RCLB F-150.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

LS, please keep us posted on your new camper. I am considering an Outbound camper in the 1,000-1,300 pound range. I have the hybrid 2.5, so I don't have the 4-wheel drive, oil cooler, or 4,000 tow kit. I have the standard 2,000 lb kit. My biggest concern is SAFETY. An interesting test of the Maverick involved 1,850 lbs of a U-Haul trailer. The test was all on level ground, mostly Interstate driving, and the vehicle did well, However, the tester had his doubts about taking it onto mountainous inclines and downgrades. My usage would be all Interstate, but I don't want "my eyes to overload my ass." So, I will be more than interested to hear about your camper's weight and how your Maverick handled it. And any recommended do's and don'ts. As it stands right now, this idea is just a pipe dream, so I would like to hear from the "horse's mouth." Thanks in advance.
If you are concerned about mountain passes could add an aftermarket brake controller, if the trailer has electronic brakes. To me braking is far more of a concern than power to tow.

FamousAmos

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
GAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are concerned about mountain passes could add an aftermarket brake controller, if the trailer has electronic brakes. To me braking is far more of a concern than power to tow.
Thanks for the response. Yes, braking is what I am concerned about, as the trailer has no brake system. Check out the Outbound Trailer website. The trailers are a very good, and inexpensive, idea for minimum camper needs. The issue here is whether the Maverick is vehicle enough for the Outbound concept. When I purchased the Maverick, I had no intention of towing with it; I bought it to handle my 10-foot fishing kayak, with a bed extender, which the Maverick handled beautifully.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My Maverick Hybrid can haul everything I hauled in the regular cab F-150 I had for over 20 years. And since the Maverick has a back seat that the reg. cab 150 didn't, I was able to also get rid of the rattly Subaru Impreza I had. With all the rattles in the Maverick, it reminds me of driving the Subie. :rolleyes:

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’m curious to hear how hybrid owners finish the statement as I am expecting my hybrid delivery next month. Let’s hear what you’ve been able to do or were limited from doing with your hybrid.

My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to…..
fits 4 adults comfortably but not 5 adults.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just some fuel to the no towing package, to keep in mind the Hybrid models actually have a larger cooling system than the non-4k Tow Pkg EB2.0 models. - This is the engine cooling capacity, and not including the fluid going into the second battery/heat exchanger system. The Hybrid is something like 11.6 quarts to the EB 9.2 quarts, plus of course the addition 4.7 quarts for the Hybrid cooling system.

I'd expect that larger cooling system to cope with towing a bit better than the EB2.0 without 4k system, provided you stay with the official ratings. Remember the FWD at one point was to be offered with 4k, and Ford pulled that plug, so there's more than cooling at play in the tow ratings.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Maverick Hybrid was enough.

If you buy 20 bags of feed, you get 5% off. The Hybrid handled 1/2 ton of feed with ease. The cattle were pleased and that's no bull.

Ford Maverick My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to….. GracieNFeed_20231128

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's enough truck for everything except extreme off-roading and needing to tow more then 2k lbs.

Frick

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Corvette, 12 Kia Soul, 06 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting thread, I'll push the boundaries once I get it.

I hauled 4400 pounds of steel scrap In my 85 S10, told my guys to keep loading it once the springs bottomed out, and they packed it full of 1/4" steel diamond plate.

I had to carefully get it down to river level as it had almost zero brakes, and then nurse it upriver to the nearest scrap yard.

When I went back to the weigh scale, the operator was incredulous that I hauled over two tons on a half ton mini truck.

Made us walk back to the scrap pile we had just unloaded to see how much steel was there, he just shook his head and gave me the "you've got to be kidding me look.

I figure the Mav is capable of doing double what's its rated at.

Space

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤓 My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to….. fill truck bed up. Truck bed fence sides are not standard or easy to install. I am still also contemplating how to easily mount, haul and dismount 12 foot kayaks by my 70 year old self. Any ideas?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With a brake controller I felt safe and comfortable towing this over the best mountains North America has to offer. Took the trailer over the Sierras and the Rockies. With a hybrid.

Ford Maverick My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to….. IMG_7859

Ford Maverick My Maverick Hybrid was enough/not enough truck to….. IMG_6942
Sponsored