First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had to order every new vehicle I've bought because I prefer standard transmissions but it's nearly impossible to even order one anymore, therefore since I had to get an automatic transmission, I selected the Maverick Hybrid. Automatic transmissions have trany creep, that is, even in idle with your foot off the brake, the vehicle creeps forward as there is enough power coming thru the torque converter to move the vehicle.
Since I my vehicle is powered by the electric motor, why do I get trany creep when stopped?
Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
Because it is expected. This was a big thing when Teslas first came out. People thought the cars were broken because for most people, when you take your foot off the brake, you expect the vehicle to creep forward. So this behavior is programmed in.

You can in a sense turn this "feature" off by activating the brake hold feature (the ecoboost also has this ability). This will keep the brake applied until you step on the gas, so it will simulate a true hybrid or manual transmission feel. It's the bottom right button in this photo, below the gear shift.

Ford Maverick Automatic Transmission Creep 1644090589594

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Auto off is awesome!

g1zstar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL Hybrid Barebones
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't flame me for asking this but just want to know :p Do manual transmissions not do this? The only experience I have with manual transmissions is motorcycles and if you let out the clutch in gear without any throttle you still do go forward. Or are you guys talking about holding the clutch and no brake?

OP
OP

SuperA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022, Ford Maverick Hybird
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't flame me for asking this but just want to know :p Do manual transmissions not do this? The only experience I have with manual transmissions is motorcycles and if you let out the clutch in gear without any throttle you still do go forward. Or are you guys talking about holding the clutch and no brake?
Any manual transmission with the clutch in/depressed will not allow power to the transmission - hence no transmission creep but there is no clutch for an automatic transmission

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Only if you are in gear. Most people dont sit with their foot on the clutch at a light. They pull it out of gear and wait. Unless they are racing.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had to order every new vehicle I've bought because I prefer standard transmissions but it's nearly impossible to even order one anymore, therefore since I had to get an automatic transmission, I selected the Maverick Hybrid.
The Maverick Hybrid has no automatic transmission it has an eCVT which is Gears and an Electric Motor connected to the ICE Motor when needed.

Watch this video to see how the Maverick Hybrid eCVT works.

Automatic transmissions have trany creep, that is, even in idle with your foot off the brake, the vehicle creeps forward as there is enough power coming thru the torque converter to move the vehicle.

Since I my vehicle is powered by the electric motor, why do I get trany creep when stopped?
Yes the Maverick Hybrid creeps both when placed in reverse or when your foot comes off the brake going forward. This is expected behavior of vehicles with transmissions and the Maverick Hybrid has implemented the creep because that is what people expect.

If you don't want it to creep when you take your foot off the brake then turn ON "Brake Hold".

The "Brake Hold" button is the rightmost one that look like a waving hand.

Ford Maverick Automatic Transmission Creep Center Console.JPG

Last edited:

ffoc01

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hyb FE, 2014 Flex
The hybrid still has conventional auto trans creep. It's not necessarily as strong as it might be in a conventional, torque converter automatic, but it's definitely still there.

One of the main advantages about Ford hybrids, going back to 2005, is how "normal" they are. Ford engineers have done an amazing job developing an alternative drive line that operates seamlessly enough that 90% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell hybrid from non hybrid while driving.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
I really thought this thread was going to be about some weirdo doing inappropriate things with the tranny on your Maverick. 😂

dgnx6

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
wait... so can you use brake hold at a stop light and you dont have to hold the brake with your foot? just press the gas and you start going again?

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had to order every new vehicle I've bought because I prefer standard transmissions but it's nearly impossible to even order one anymore, therefore since I had to get an automatic transmission, I selected the Maverick Hybrid. Automatic transmissions have trany creep, that is, even in idle with your foot off the brake, the vehicle creeps forward as there is enough power coming thru the torque converter to move the vehicle.
Think of the big advantage = you can use creep while pulling into garage by only using the brake pedal with no need to use go pedal (cannot call it gas pedal🤗). Also try lowering tail gate and creeping using brake pedal until your trailer ball disappears under the trailer tongue as seen in your backup camera?

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Use auto stop hold

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ha ha, manually turning the brake hold off is something people were complaining about in another thread.

FWIW, in Europe where lots of vehicles have manual transmissions people put their them in neutral and apply the parking brake at stop lights. In the Netherlands the stop lights have horizontal grooves for that purpose in that relatively flat country.

Criss944

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Criss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverodo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Back in October there was a similar conversation. Since then, I have paid attention to creep in my Silverado. I think there are two good reason to design creep in hybrids.

The first time you take your foot off the brake creep provides instant feedback before you stomp on the accelerator. pg. 198 of the manual states if auto hold is on it will not work if you shift R before it has activated.

I find I use creep when maneuvering in tight spaces like backing out of a parking place at the grocery store.
Sponsored