Anyone else buy an EB WITHOUT AWD?

bsly137

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
i'm in the fwd eco camp. awd just isn't necessary here. i know it doesn't make much of a difference but i'm seeing 29 mpg on my mav doing mostly hwy driving. i doubt the hybrid would do much better on the hwy. my biggest complaint is the buzzy soundingness of the throttle/engine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i'm in the fwd eco camp. awd just isn't necessary here. i know it doesn't make much of a difference but i'm seeing 29 mpg on my mav doing mostly hwy driving. i doubt the hybrid would do much better on the hwy. my biggest complaint is the buzzy soundingness of the throttle/engine.
What part of NC? Used to live there and miss it greatly.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So many uninformed posts here that the Hybrid Maverick has a belt driven CVT. It does not and in no way is it related to those CVT's other than that it is continuously variable.

It is Planetary Gear Driven using Electric Motors and is more reliable with less parts than the 8 speed transmission in the FWD/AWD EcoBoost Mavericks.

DonkeyJohn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver w/ 2.0 EB, splash guards
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also purchased 2.0 EB w/ FWD, live in snow belt, but wanted to save the money re: AWD, and get best mileage possible w/o waiting for hybrid. Have had several trucks with 4wd, but also some FWD cars- with reasonable driving, and appropriate tires, never an issue. Awd/fwd also usually
comes with a stiffer suspension, firmer ride. Retired now, so I can stay put on snowdays until the
plow drivers do their thing.

Sponsored

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lariat FWD, don't need off road or AWD as my tires never leave the payment, except maybe a gravel road here and there.

villageidiot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many many in the past, none currently
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2.0 FWD here, got it friday, its a nice little city truck.

i don't plan on towing a large load, maybe a couple motorcycles, or a small trailer, and i don't do the snow at all (southern california). theres a lot of desert, but if i was planning on more of that, i would have kept my 4WD ranger.

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just curious if anyone else ordered the 2.0 EB engine WITHOUT getting AWD?

Initially, I was going to order the hybrid engine but opted for the 2.0 instead. Don't really need AWD in Florida, and the one AWD vehicle I had was when I lived in upstate NY. Having said that, some decent all weather and/or snow tires usually did the trick with all of my FWD vehicles.

Opted to not get the upgraded FX4/tow package as well. Don't need it, and if/when I ever get around to towing something, even though I opted to get the hitch installed. Better to have it and not need it, just in case.

Anyone else go this route? What was your logic in not getting AWD?

*** As an edit, when at the dealership placing my order, it was almost like the salesman was pushing for me to get the AWD as part of my XL package, maybe "just in case" I decided to not take possession of my order. Better resale, perhaps? Or an excuse for ADM? Any thoughts on this?
The interesting thing is I’ve seen 3 fleet Maverick XL Ecoboosts in the Tulsa area and all have had AWD.

houselog442

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I got mine with the ecoboost and fwd and I do live in northern Florida so AWD is Not a big deal. I grew up in Minnesota and the big thing was having FWD instead of RWD. So I have no problem with the FWD model. I only considered the AWD because I was considering the 4K towing but didn’t need it, and the FWD gets a little better mpg

Sponsored

stumper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux EB, 2012 Sonata Limited T
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One more FWD EB in San Antonio. Going with Lariat Lux. No need for AWD down here. No tow package either. Been there, done that. We did have a snowmageddon this past February. Would have been handy had I wanted to go out in the snow. I didn't want to.

Hoping for slightly better fuel economy and slightly better response in dry conditions. Also, as someone pointed out, Ford uses Force Vectoring Springs on the FWD Mavericks for improved handling and ride with less weight. And then there's the long term issue of potentially more costly repairs for AWD configurations.

Simple decision for me - FWD EB

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Canada only gets awd eb. Would have preferred fwd. Actually preferred hybrid. Such is life and needing a truck asap.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No AWD here. When it snows the FWD will be fine to go the the neighborhood stores. And when (not if) we get the usual ice storms I ain't going anywhere due to the idiots that get out on the snow covered ice thinking AWD or 4WD will work on ice!!

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I also ordered FWD & EB, its all I will ever need, my FWD cars have gotten me through the last 36 winters. It may not tow as much as one of my old Toronados did, but it doesn't need to.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The AWD gets the independent rear suspension whereas the FWD gets a trailing twist beam. Not sure why they did 2 different suspensions. My 2018 Escape FWD has the same suspension as the AWD. Independent rear suspension. Only difference is the AWD had a larger hump in the rear seat area to accommodate the AWD driveshaft. Wondering if the FWD Maverick sits lower than the AWD?

Here's an article about the rear suspension: https://fordauthority.com/2021/06/2022-ford-maverick-suspension-borrows-tech-from-fiesta-st/
Sponsored