First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was going down a YouTube rabbit hole today, watching stuff about Mavericks. Something that I came across was this install video for an aftermarket hitch.

I know some folks bought one without, but would rather have one. whether it was because they got it off the lot or because they took it off their order as a potential constraint item.

This one looks like a pretty straight forward install, and includes part numbers and socket sizes as well.

Unfortunately it doesn't address the wiring for the lights.

If I remember correctly @fordvideoguy asked for similar info, so I'm tagging you in this as well.

Sponsored

Atlas747

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Suburban, '23 Mav XL 2.0 (Est Build 11/28)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is this rated for 4K towing, when I have to purchase a more expensive 4K system from Ford? I went with the standard tow kit from the factory, now thinking this was a smarter decision.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How is this rated for 4K towing, when I have to purchase a more expensive 4K system from Ford? I went with the standard tow kit from the factory, now thinking this was a smarter decision.
Just because the hitch has a 4K capacity doesn't mean it re-sets the VEHICLE capacity limit. Heck, you could slide a 15K rated 2-5/16" ball & insert in that hitch, that doesn't make the vehicle 15K capable.

They could have easily brought out a 1-1/4" hitch, but I imagine that the 2" format is much more popular for bike racks and platforms.

HRG

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

fordvideoguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.long-mcarthur.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Ford Bronco
Engine
Undecided
I was going down a YouTube rabbit hole today, watching stuff about Mavericks. Something that I came across was this install video for an aftermarket hitch.

I know some folks bought one without, but would rather have one. whether it was because they got it off the lot or because they took it off their order as a potential constraint item.

This one looks like a pretty straight forward install, and includes part numbers and socket sizes as well.

Unfortunately it doesn't address the wiring for the lights.

If I remember correctly @fordvideoguy asked for similar info, so I'm tagging you in this as well.

My aftermarket department did know (and didn't tell me) that the hitch could be mounted easily but they were still trying to answer the question about wiring before letting me know. There concern was with warranty issues if added to a non-hitch order. Thanks for the video, I will pass it along.

Christenhildebrandt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Christen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My aftermarket department did know (and didn't tell me) that the hitch could be mounted easily but they were still trying to answer the question about wiring before letting me know. There concern was with warranty issues if added to a non-hitch order. Thanks for the video, I will pass it along.
Thank you for looking into it Tim. Ditch the hitch didn't help this month with scheduling but hoping it will pay off in the long run.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've had Uhaul install hitches in the past with no issues. I would be careful until the Maverick gets more common with having them do it, they may not be as familiar and damage something.

As for the tow rating, we all know the Maverick is capable of more than 2k at base (at least on Ecoboost). It's the same engine and brakes, just some cooling upgrades. And since the electric tend to have more torque than ICE, I imagine the hybrid is as well. Not saying you should to more than the rating... But the hitch is class 3 which is typically 5k+ lbs (i.e. more than the vehicle itself is rated).

Christenhildebrandt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Christen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's a 2nd video for the wiring.

HRG
This video makes me wonder if adding the hitch later will be worse the hassle. Hence why almost everyone put the hitch on as an option. Will stick with ditching the hitch to increase my hybrids ever small odds of being built.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The hith rating has nothing to do with the towing capacity of the truck. The hitch rating is given so the buyer knows the maximum weight the hitch and only the hitch will handle. The 4k towing capacity for the truck requires that the truck be AWD to distribute the load to four drive shafts instead of two drive shafts. (The load on FWD 2K trailer is 1k per drive axle and on AWD 4K trailer is 1k per drive axle🤔). Other things are also required to handle the additional heat, etc needed for 4k.

Sponsored

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just a guess, not wide enough to attach to anything substantial underneath the truck

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think they would make something that does not fit.
What is that attaching to? Looks like it would just go to the bumper, maybe a bit of metal under there. Couldn't see that holding more than a couple hundred pounds. Not the same as the $300 one by a long stretch.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last edited: