Sponsored

After how many miles can/would you go full throttle with your hybrid?

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am approaching 1000 miles with my hybrid but haven't gone full throttle yet. Considering the fact that the gas engine theoretically has only about 600 miles on it, would you wait another 500 miles before to end the break in period? Thoughts?
WOT gets a lot of headlines it doesn't deserve :unsure:
UNLESS you hold wot till 100+ mph, even then the only thing you'll notice is how nice those red and blues look in the mirror :oops:

Seriously, a few very short (1 or 2 seconds) blasts of wot will only help the rings seat better/quicker. After a few 2 second blasts start doing 3/4 second runs.

Pretty much the way the brakes should be broken in, which I found to be much harder to do in a hybrid ;)
Not sure our CMax ever did get the brakes broke in.

RM83

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Ford Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sending it as soon as I take delivery.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To break in a new airplane engine they want you to run it at 75% to 80% of full power with the mixture way rich to keep her cool and wash down the oil on the cylinders. Minimal idling and messing around on the ground. All this to get the rings to seat and keep from glazing the cylinders. That should work for a Maverick too.

Sponsored

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a short article from Consumer Reports on the topic: Do New Cars Still Require a Break-In Period? - Consumer Reports

The Maverick manual has some recommendations, which I'm following. I figure that taking it easy for ~1000 miles isn't that hard.
It's funny, both this article and the owners manual mention not driving at a constant rate of speed for extended periods of time. I was very aware of this recommendation as I was putting the first several hundred miles on my EB Maverick, but I quickly realized that despite the speed one is driving (within reason) the RPMs stay in a relatively narrow band when the transmission has eight gears and no real means of manually selecting any of them. I did consciously try to vary the RPMs somewhat as I was driving, but the operation of the transmission made it all but impossible. I'm not sure of the relative value of varying one's speed during break-in if the engine RPMs rarely depart from a narrow, very low band the entire time.

I know the hybrid has a completely different set up, but just an observation on the EB.

II Kings 9:20

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, X5, Genesis AWD, Pacifica, MDX hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2005 300C owner's manual said "brief periods of WOT aid in the break in process".

There's nothing special about Chrysler metal.

I'm not even sure "break in" even exists these days given the wide range of recommendations over the last 50-60 years.

Back '30s and 40s when cars had cast iron pistons and blocks with steel piston rings and cylinder liners, probably then break in with light throttle was a necessary thing. Today it seems historical although some manufacturers mention not "driving hard" and some don't. I've bought a lot of used cars and never experienced an issue because some idiot didn't do a proper break in during the first 1K miles.

Geep

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT luxury hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
one can of clover brand 1000 grit lapping compound mixed with enough gasoline to allow you to pour it into the oil fillā€¦.drive it at 3/4 throttle for 100 miles then drain oil, add cheapest oil you can find drive again for 50 miles normally then drain oil change filter and refill with TurboShell 30 oilā€¦..or just follow the manual and use common sense šŸ˜‰

lonewolf904

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler gmc yukon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Let it rip no problem on my hybrid 800 to 1000 miles if towing if not after 500 miles drive it like you stole it if it breaks you want it under warranty
LLeeyyeetyeeyyiQUOTE="Sylvester, post: 162256, member: 2769"]
I am approaching 1000 miles with my hybrid but haven't gone full throttle yet. Considering the fact that the gas engine theoretically has only about 600 miles on it, would you wait another 500 miles before to end the break in period? Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I let my friend drive it when he was visiting, the Mav had something less than 1000 miles i think, he fuckin nailed it and I didnā€™t think to ask him not to floor it or anything when I was telling him to give it a whirl. Anyway, it was fine, it was fun. I imagine that could be a faux pas to slam it in someone elseā€™s car without express permission though šŸ¤Æ

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 Ranger, ā€˜22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I needed to punch it, I would, but that would only be during an adverse traffic situation. Otherwise, thereā€™s no need. Itā€™s not a racing hybrid, and my road raging days are behind me.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haven't pushed the peddle to the floor, haven't found any need for it, but even when I need to go fast I couldn't get the power meter on the hybrids dash to go over 70-75% power use. I doubt there is much chance of damaging anything with the akinson cycle and eCVT keeping revs in check.

Espeer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2003 expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To break in a new airplane engine they want you to run it at 75% to 80% of full power with the mixture way rich to keep her cool and wash down the oil on the cylinders. Minimal idling and messing around on the ground. All this to get the rings to seat and keep from glazing the cylinders. That should work for a Maverick too.
Most piston aircraft engines are basically 75+ year old designs.

Next, tell me about how to manage the magnetos and carb on my Maverick..
Sponsored