Sponsored

Ksmavgal

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
This is ridiculous, there has to be someone that can tell me why people are ordering 10 days ago and getting build dates yet those of us that ordered 2 and a 1/2 months ago still nothing. My salesman just told me I will not have my truck this year.
I hear ya. I've removed the tonneau cover. Also ordered 2.5 mos ago. EB, not hybrid. I have a lariat + lux and I've seen many of them-but most of them have the 4K tow package or Fx4, and i don't. I'm guessing that has something to do with it?
Keep your chin up
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I talked to my dealer about removing the Maverick and just keeping the floor mats.

He said there might be constraints...

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understood it as FIFO for buildable orders, not FIFO for all orders. Like this post said:

I picture it as lining up all the orders by order date and picking off the buildable ones as you go down the list.

There are other problems with that (regional shipping issues come to mind) but complexity and constraints aren't among them.
Shipping and allocations is an issue (particularly for keeping costs down), but build complexity is a huge issue for trying to do FIFO custom builds (it starts to defeat the whole purpose of an assembly line). It would likely cause both delays and quality control issues. FIFO custom orders might be feasible if they only let us select between 2-3 colors, basic trim (XL, XLT, Lariat), and a couple universal packages (360, AWD+4K). But even then there would be dozens of potential configurations to try and build at the same time.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I talked to my dealer about removing the Maverick and just keeping the floor mats.

Passenger or driver's side?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
build complexity is a huge issue for trying to do FIFO custom builds (it starts to defeat the whole purpose of an assembly line)
I think you are missing the point on FIFO. It is being suggested as an improvement on the second step in what is already a two-step process:

Step One: Ford handles complexity and constraint issues in determining what sorts of orders it wants to build in a given week. (Reported production dates show Ford builds several different type/option combinations in the same week.)

Step Two: Ford uses an allocation and round-robin system to determine which of the orders that can be built will actually be scheduled for that week.

It's Step Two that people are complaining about when they ask for a FIFO-type system. They see trucks like theirs, but ordered much later, being scheduled for build. Essentially the complaint is, "If you can build a truck like mine this week, why are you building one that was ordered 6 weeks after I ordered mine?"

If you still think that this is an assembly line problem, ask yourself, "How would the functioning of the assembly line be impacted by replacing the Step Two allocation/round-robin system with a FIFO system?"

Sponsored

Goldrush72

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Mach1 18 Ecosport 08 Sebring
Went to my dealer today as the salesman never returns email or calls. Talked to fleet mgr. and he had the inventory mgr. look up my order. Found out my Lariat is scheduled for week of 11-15. No notices but that's OK I now have a VIN and should have my baby before Christmas... 👍🏻

OP
OP
Dbarr

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

😳🤔🥲😅😂🤣

Loisrose

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My transmission died in my escape more to fix then the thing was worth July 4th. Order maverick July 7th hoping for a build date soon. Got lucky and a friend rented me a car for 100 a week until I get the maverick
technically I've been without a vehicle since January 2018 when the engine blew due to a timing belt breaking and wrapping around the serpentine pully, I borrowed vehicles until last September, when I bought one I borrowed, and it is now a problem with stalling out while driving, So I ordered the New Truck, production is 11/22- in Mexico, read it takes them 21 hours to build, so maybe it will be in my hands by Christmas!!!

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you are missing the point on FIFO. It is being suggested as an improvement on the second step in what is already a two-step process:

Step One: Ford handles complexity and constraint issues in determining what sorts of orders it wants to build in a given week. (Reported production dates show Ford builds several different type/option combinations in the same week.)

Step Two: Ford uses an allocation and round-robin system to determine which of the orders that can be built will actually be scheduled for that week.

It's Step Two that people are complaining about when they ask for a FIFO-type system. They see trucks like theirs, but ordered much later, being scheduled for build. Essentially the complaint is, "If you can build a truck like mine this week, why are you building one that was ordered 6 weeks after I ordered mine?"

If you still think that this is an assembly line problem, ask yourself, "How would the functioning of the assembly line be impacted by replacing the Step Two allocation/round-robin system with a FIFO system?"
I think that does make sense if there are two discrete steps. Do we know that these are two separate steps in the process? I imagined that they prioritize the process something like:
  1. Supply chain (what's available to build within the current constraints right now)
  2. Manufacturing efficiency (most common/like models that can be built together)
  3. Geography (allocating for greatest shipping efficiency)
  4. Order date (after all else have been accounted for, there may be some priority given to early orders)
Even bumping the order date up to #3 in the prioritization will start to cause issues in a JIT process because you may start to have stocking/shipping issues that could back up manufacturing (issues that wouldn't be there with fewer/more simple builds). I think if people want their order date prioritized based on other's with similar builds (which is what I get from "step 2"), you'd still get more delays in manufacturing because they'd probably just delay building that specific spec because they couldn't/wouldn't ship the earlier order date as soon as the later order date (now two people are without a build and the process a unit behind). I.e., if all the first three priorities line up and there's capacity for one more unit to be delivered, but it is for someone who ordered after someone else, should that unit not be built/delivered?

I agree that if you have an allocation of "built units" as part of a "step 1," you couple potentially do FIFO, but I still think it's much more complex for JIT production, and would definitely add to either the production cost or shipping cost.

I also agree that it's up for debate whether #4 is actually a priority at all in the process, and I'd love to see hard numbers on how many people are actually getting skipped over.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dbarr

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At first I suspected my dealer had failed to do things properly. I now know that this is Ford’s fault. They set up a system and told us how it was supposed to work. It isn’t working. Having a possibly-uneducated dealership as a middleman can make things worse. I can accept possible screw-ups in the actual production and availability of the vehicles themselves during the current supply crisis, but other than possible employee issues, there is little excuse for a semi-functioning information system. If it isn’t working, they should change it. If you are just adding a vehicle to your family inventory, the communication problems may just be an irritation. If you are making a change from your current vehicle - in my case it’s my work vehicle - it’s a different story. I have to sell my current vehicle and also arrange for a bit of financing. I need information to be able to implement a plan. As I said...just an acknowledgement from Ford that, I AM IN THE SYSTEM, tells me nothing! I don’t even know what that means. Unfortunately, the poor state of the mid-size market at present makes the MAV the best choice for me right now, so here I am, stuck in this cloud of uncertainty, and there’s very little comfort in just knowing I share the boat with thousands of others. Ford should be re-working their information system to allow buyers to remain informed, regardless of the hiccups that exist in the supply chain. As long as we know what’s going on we can find ways to deal with it.
This is the Ford director of North American Communications tease for his weekend…
Ford Maverick 📬 9/30 Scheduling Email Received Group! [Share Your Reservation and Build Dates] F6EE607B-4E86-4817-8137-EAD47588BD76

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think that does make sense if there are two discrete steps. Do we know that these are two separate steps in the process?
We don't run Ford, but we are as certain as we can be based on posts by dealers and people who have talked to dealers. There is some conflict in the descriptions, but not much. For example, my own dealer knows little about constraints, but he has described the allocation/priority code system to me in some detail. There are numerous posts on this forum that talk about late availability, constraints, allocation, and priority codes. If you search those terms you'll find them.

But... It's probably a mistake to think of these as discrete steps that follow one another in time. It's more like one set of decision-making methods on the factory/build side and one set on the dealer side, both of which come together in the final decision on production dates.

On the factory/build side, Ford decides what kinds of orders it can actually build in a given week. This is based on multiple things: parts availability, constraints, production efficiency, shipping efficiency, etc. That establishes "what Ford wants to build" for that week.

On the dealer side, the dealer has a certain allocation (X number of orders to be filled that month) and ranks their existing orders by Priority Code (which for some dealers is based on order date and for some is not). So the dealer is essentially saying, "I've got X allocations and here's my lineup ... Start at the head of the line and pick what you want to build until you get to X or I run out of orders."

The result is that, either within a dealership or between dealerships, a later order can get picked before an identical earlier order. That's what causes the buyer complaints.

NOTE: I'm not saying Ford should apply FIFO -- it might cause problems with dealers or some other problems -- I just saying build complexity and build constraints aren't the issue.

DarthSquatch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux Area 51 confirmed 7/8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
technically I've been without a vehicle since January 2018 when the engine blew due to a timing belt breaking and wrapping around the serpentine pully, I borrowed vehicles until last September, when I bought one I borrowed, and it is now a problem with stalling out while driving, So I ordered the New Truck, production is 11/22- in Mexico, read it takes them 21 hours to build, so maybe it will be in my hands by Christmas!!!
good luck

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
We don't run Ford, but we are as certain as we can be based on posts by dealers and people who have talked to dealers. There is some conflict in the descriptions, but not much. For example, my own dealer knows little about constraints, but he has described the allocation/priority code system to me in some detail. There are numerous posts on this forum that talk about late availability, constraints, allocation, and priority codes. If you search those terms you'll find them.

But... It's probably a mistake to think of these as discrete steps that follow one another in time. It's more like one set of decision-making methods on the factory/build side and one set on the dealer side, both of which come together in the final decision on production dates.

On the factory/build side, Ford decides what kinds of orders it can actually build in a given week. This is based on multiple things: parts availability, constraints, production efficiency, shipping efficiency, etc. That establishes "what Ford wants to build" for that week.

On the dealer side, the dealer has a certain allocation (X number of orders to be filled that month) and ranks their existing orders by Priority Code (which for some dealers is based on order date and for some is not). So the dealer is essentially saying, "I've got X allocations and here's my lineup ... Start at the head of the line and pick what you want to build until you get to X or I run out of orders."

The result is that, either within a dealership or between dealerships, a later order can get picked before an identical earlier order. That's what causes the buyer complaints.

NOTE: I'm not saying Ford should apply FIFO -- it might cause problems with dealers or some other problems -- I just saying build complexity and build constraints aren't the issue.
Maybe we should have a thread for supply-chain/build-schedule LARPing?

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid