First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To separate good parts from bad parts in a bin is impossible. Some will always get through. 100% inspection is not 100%. Many cases manufacturing and finance put pressure on the quality dep to accept or deviate the parts. In the end follow the money.
It’s possible, one job I had was with a guy who became a millionaire many over checking everything.
Sponsored

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yesterday I received this alert from Carfax about the recall. I was hoping they were behind the times and referring to the previous recall, but no such luck. :)

Ford Maverick ⚠️ Recall 23S27 & Delivery Hold on 2.5L Maverick Hybrids for Under Hood Fire (Notice Date 5/31/23) Screenshot_20230602-084237-01

Dunrollin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Powerstroke, 2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Blue ox said
So am I going to get official recall letter in the mail. Or do I just rush down to dealer? Haven’t been in any recall situation before.
Don't go to the dealer, Ford will notify you by mail when the dealers can be contacted.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's not showing up for me right now, but I figure I'll just keep checking the recall status every couple of days to see if it shows up.

I'm honestly not super worried - this affects like 80,000 Escapes I think? And we haven't seen massive reports of failure. If my engine starts getting wonky I'll just pull over and call roadside assistance. I mean if my engine starts making a weird noise, I'm pulling over no matter what (recall or not). Driving on that is how you break things even more under NORMAL circumstances to begin with.

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Received my notice this morning. I'm seeing this as "something is very rarely happening for some reason we haven't figured out yet so let's get the protection against lawsuits started by issuing a recall". I guess the only thing I'm wondering is at what point do we just all get our money back? ;) I guess it's neither here nor there since mine's been in the shop since February. :(
If it has been in the shop since Febuary look into returning it under your states Lemon Law.

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So am I going to get official recall letter in the mail. Or do I just rush down to dealer? Haven’t been in any recall situation before.
Ford will snail mail anyone affected. I think that Ford app also pops up a notice IIRC.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You are correct. Quality control is a human process and humans make mistakes. So even sending the parts to QC and QC sorting out the bad and deeming the sorted good parts as “good” was still impossible but we would catch the 90+% vast majority of the bad parts.
Yeah they had a number that was used to what was expected after 100% inspection. As long as it was within the aqc (acceptable quality level). They had these guys six sigma black belts they were called. Supposedly the gods of quality. We made medical devices but always was told that automotive was even tougher as far as qc went. Ford seems to have more than the average as far as recalls go.

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what just dawned on me just now is how much of an epic FU this likely is going to be cost wise and time wise for ford.
Imagine how much is a brand new 2.5 engine going to cost for the engine alone, let alone how much an engine install costs.
Am I wrong thinking the engine alone is probably 6 grand and another 4/6 grand in labor to install?

basically a 10 grand job for each and every Ford maverick hybrid that will potentially end up needing the engine replaced?
Basically half of the trucks entire COST!
whoa!!!!
I can’t see Ford having this fix being take it to your local ford dealer to have them break down and replace internal engine components that are buried deep inside of the engine.
There’s too much time and potential errors that could occur during that lengthy process.

and the crazy part is if you read my recent previous post in my opinion I don’t think every engine is going to have this problem. However, I don’t think there’s going to be a way for Ford to tell which engines may have received and installed bad internal engine components into. So get a load of this one, Ford may be replacing perfectly good engines……..
The thought of leaving my truck with a Ford service department for several weeks is not great. Expect scratches, dings, you name it. And pray the truck isn’t in worse mechanical condition than before.

MaverickSVT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Contour SVT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The thought of leaving my truck with a Ford service department for several weeks is not great. Expect scratches, dings, you name it. And pray the truck isn’t in worse mechanical condition than before.
Great point! I don’t like people driving my car, washing my car or even I really don’t like the dealer changing the oil (but I still let them anyway) let alone changing out my engine!! 😯

Sponsored

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just called the Ford customer service line (800 334 4375) and they don't know anything about this 23S27 recall. Kind of strange if this is true. Anyone else have any information on this?
They are just contract people reading what is given to them. They aren't Ford authorities.

JohnHartshorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Toyota Sienna XSE - Mav Hybrid XLT LUX Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It hasn't posted on NHTSA yet. These things take a few days to get posted.

Hdang1980

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I were that worried, I would go ahead and get a Taco now.
As nice as the new tacos are, they aren't in my price range nor do they fit my needs. The maverick's size, affordability, fuel efficiency etc... were the selling points. I fall into the category of those who never even knew they needed a truck. For now, I'll hold onto it and see where this recall goes. I can afford to bide my time.

72Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like Rick's 2023 Hybrid built 5/10 was delivered to him yesterday.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/october-hybrid-orders-united.12399/page-224

I'm no legal expert but the recall states "Do not demonstrate or deliver any new IN-STOCK vehicles". I don't believe the recall wants the dealers to hold customer retail orders until the 4th quarter. Just the in-stock trucks on the lot. I'm going to sit tight and wait for a letter or notice while Ford investigates the issue to determine if certain build dates could be affected by a manufacturing defect. Until then, if I hear a rod go throught the side of the block, I lose power and smoke is rolling from under the hood, I'm going to pull over shut off the engine and get out of the truck like I would do while driving any vehicle. Not just because a recall told me to do so.

Last edited:

Falcon first

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, BMW M235 coupe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If mine catches fire I will pull over, put leaves, branches and gas on it because I sure as hell won’t want the same one back after it caught on fire. Burn baby burn.
Sponsored