2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If they arrived at the same time or were going to at similar times it would be hard for me to spend the extra $7,500 on the Colorado based on the interior being mostly the same size as the Maverick - but it would be great to be able to have a really solid look at both.

I'm very interested in the interior quality of the Colorado. Chevy trucks, Tahoe and Silverado, were decades behind in the interior department and they did a total 180 and I would say have arguably the nicest interiors in the class now.

If the Colorado hits on that same improvement maybe that $7,500 starts to feel somewhat worth it but I would almost rather just make that jump to the Silverado and go full in.
Even the top trim of the Maverick feels budget. I would be willing to bet that the $7500 goes quite far in upgrading quality on the Colorado.
Sponsored

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Even the top trim of the Maverick feels budget. I would be willing to bet that the $7500 goes quite far in upgrading quality on the Colorado.
GMhas had issue with not having chips on their highest trims of truck . I’m curious if 23s are going be affected as well .

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

GMhas had issue with not having chips on their highest trims of truck . I’m curious if 23s are going be affected as well .
My niece bought a top of the line GMC Diesel last year to tow her camper. She has had it almost a year -- still waiting for "chips" to make her heated seats work!

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My niece bought a top of the line GMC Diesel last year to tow her camper. She has had it almost a year -- still waiting for "chips" to make her heated seats work!
Yeah - Dad's Tahoe came shipped without heated seats. Button is there, lights work and all - no heat. He got $50 for it....

Honestly - I would not purchase the Colorado if it were missing any features I paid for. I don't care if it was a pack of emergency glitter stowed above the spare tire. If I pay for it - it better be there.

Sponsored

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 2019 Mazda CX9, tons of bikes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ridgeline is not really more capable, unless you consider towing.
Well towing IS part of what makes a truck a truck, over a " car "

And so not only does the ridgeline tow much more, but it has a bigger more useful bed.

The ridgeline is also built on a more upscale chassis, so refinement is higher with the RL.

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'll call it a minivan with a box, sedans are way too low to the ground. For probably 3/4 of the truck buying public, the Maverick is all they will ever need.
The Maverick is essentially Fords version of what ever Toyota would call a similar truck built on a RAV4 chassis. Or a truck built on Honda's CRV chassis.

The Ridgeline is actually essentially the same thing as the Maverick, but based on the Honda Pilot chassis ( which isn't too different from the Honda minivan chassis! )

And I do agree.... For a lot of people, it would do everything they need to do. A bigger truck ( literally almost any other truck on the market ) would only have advantages in ruggedness ( due to the body on frame design verses unibody ) and advantages in off roading ability and towing capability.

For some people, they buy full size trucks ( or also large SUV's like Tahoes and the like ) because they feel like they will have a better outcoming in a accident, being in the larger bigger vehicle.

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What’s definition a truck ? Has to be body on frame ? I mean works like any small pick up would . Works like older ranger . Made differntly but does the same thing. So I’m confused what you think a truck is ? Is trucks only full size ? Diesel ? I mean trucks have very broad family and shapes and come in different forms
No, the maverick is a truck. I don't deny that.

Even the old subaru brat is a truck..... even though it is very clear it is just a subaru station wagon with reshaped body work.

I am sitting here trying to find something to use as a comparison.... And this probably isn't a good example.... But calling a Maverick a truck is fair and it is what I would call it, But it would be sort of like calling a Honda ADV150 a motorcycle, when really it is just a scooter that is upsized. https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/scooter/adv150

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Before you grab your pitchforks and torches - I am KEEPING my Maverick order and I desperately want a Maverick .

I placed my original Maverick order on 10/13/21, and I have ordered or Ford induced changed my Maverick three times. Originally a hybrid XL - the Mav was intended to exist along side a 2 door base sasquatch bronco as my daily driver. Ford squashed both of those dreams, the 2 door base sasquatch (for MY22 at least) and the Mav Hybrid.

My order evolved from a $24k hybrid trucklet to a $35k well optioned soft roader. The bronco came and went as a 4 door. I've had a CRV Hybrid and a Model 3 since the initial order date and neither bowl of porridge is remotely close to my liking.

The two vehicle set up is now a pipe dream and because of that I am actually happy that I've landed on the Tremor. Now I'm looking for a vehicle with above average off-road abilities (as I will be using it on my property in western NC) and the Tremor is sort of the minimum level of off road ability I am looking for (rear locker, ground clearance, suspension/lift). This has led me to look at Frontiers, outgoing Rangers and Colorados, Tacomas that are worse than my 2010, and even some full size trucks like the F150 Tremor and Silverado Trail Boss.

Dad got a Tahoe last summer and it seriously impresses me. It should for the money ($65k). Closest I've come to pulling the trigger is a Silverado Trail Boss LT with the 2.7L 4 pot - but the thing is massive.

Today - Chevrolet begins production on the redesigned 2023 Colorado in Wentzville, MO.

Build and Price went live a few days ago.

Long story short - I placed an order for a 2023 Colorado Trail Boss

The damage? $41,860 - almost $7,000 more than my Tremor XLT on the nose.

PROS:
- 7,700lb towing capacity // 1600 lb payload
- Upgraded interior including 11.3 touch screen and 8" center screen
- improved off road capabilities over Tremor (2L, ground clearance)
- 2.7L turbo 4 produces 390 ft lbs of torque // mpg estimated to be 24-25 on hwy

CONS:
- $7,000 more than Tremor
- Interior space is virtually identical to Mav (no surprise as Mav is bigger than current gen Ranger)
- Almost 15 inches longer than the Maverick but bed only grows 6 inches.

1674735030075.png

By no means is this a - see ya later Ford. It's more of a - competition is on the way get me my Tremor!

I also am not interested in getting back in line for another 15 month wait for the new Ranger. Sales guy told me 3-5 months for the Colorado - we'll see!
I totally get it. Upside is you'll be happy with the Colorado. I had a 2018 100 year Edition and loved the truck. Glad to see Chevy increased the ground clearance. New styling looks fantastic. Since you're interested in the Mav Tremor, I think this Colorado will substitute just fine . . . if one doesn't mind the price hike. Best of luck in getting what you want . . . after all, 'Merica'

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick is essentially Fords version of what ever Toyota would call a similar truck built on a RAV4 chassis. Or a truck built on Honda's CRV chassis.

The Ridgeline is actually essentially the same thing as the Maverick, but based on the Honda Pilot chassis ( which isn't too different from the Honda minivan chassis! )

And I do agree.... For a lot of people, it would do everything they need to do. A bigger truck ( literally almost any other truck on the market ) would only have advantages in ruggedness ( due to the body on frame design verses unibody ) and advantages in off roading ability and towing capability.

For some people, they buy full size trucks ( or also large SUV's like Tahoes and the like ) because they feel like they will have a better outcoming in a accident, being in the larger bigger vehicle.
I know - this thread is about an order I have for a mid-size truck.....

But the Maverick has almost eliminated the mid-size truck as an option for me.

I see Ford's play here and you are never likely to see the Maverick vastly improve tow rating, payload, etc because that would encroach on the Ranger. Sans offering the Maverick as a single cab or extended cab - the size was always going overlap the Ranger line which means the Maverick will be differentiated by features and capabilities.

I am drawn to a full-size truck because I have 3 kids (8,6,4) who fit in my Model 3 like a game of Tetris that only I can win at. It wasn't much better in the Bronco. It was impossible in the CRV.

I'm not really interested in a 3 row SUV, nor another minivan (my wife has an Odyssey) which leaves fairly slim pickings.

A full size truck has a massive back seat that they can easily fit in well into their teenage years.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well towing IS part of what makes a truck a truck, over a " car "

And so not only does the ridgeline tow much more, but it has a bigger more useful bed.

The ridgeline is also built on a more upscale chassis, so refinement is higher with the RL.
Refinement is higher, but it should be. It starts at 39k and you get cloth seats for that. And you still get laughable ground clearance and towing capabilities compared to a "real"/non-unibody truck.

Honda's inability to provide good value with the Ridgeline is why I own a Maverick. That's really it.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know - this thread is about an order I have for a mid-size truck.....

But the Maverick has almost eliminated the mid-size truck as an option for me.

I see Ford's play here and you are never likely to see the Maverick vastly improve tow rating, payload, etc because that would encroach on the Ranger. Sans offering the Maverick as a single cab or extended cab - the size was always going overlap the Ranger line which means the Maverick will be differentiated by features and capabilities.

I am drawn to a full-size truck because I have 3 kids (8,6,4) who fit in my Model 3 like a game of Tetris that only I can win at. It wasn't much better in the Bronco. It was impossible in the CRV.

I'm not really interested in a 3 row SUV, nor another minivan (my wife has an Odyssey) which leaves fairly slim pickings.

A full size truck has a massive back seat that they can easily fit in well into their teenage years.
One of the (many) reasons I loved my F150 (2018 supercrew), inside space was abundant for all sizes. If I still had to haul teenagers around, I would still be in an F150!

Not sure what the back seat of the new Colorado fits like, but the Ridgeline is horrible. Giant cup holders on the door panels keep you from spreading your knees around the front seat, something very necessary if you have long legs, behind a long leg driver.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No, the maverick is a truck. I don't deny that.

Even the old subaru brat is a truck..... even though it is very clear it is just a subaru station wagon with reshaped body work.

I am sitting here trying to find something to use as a comparison.... And this probably isn't a good example.... But calling a Maverick a truck is fair and it is what I would call it, But it would be sort of like calling a Honda ADV150 a motorcycle, when really it is just a scooter that is upsized. https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/scooter/adv150
LOL. I have one of each! How do you like my mini truck and mini bike?

Ford Maverick Ford on the Clock - 2023 Colorado Trail Boss Ordered Truck-Small

Ford Maverick Ford on the Clock - 2023 Colorado Trail Boss Ordered ADV-Small

GyroRon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Refinement is higher, but it should be. It starts at 39k and you get cloth seats for that. And you still get laughable ground clearance and towing capabilities compared to a "real"/non-unibody truck.

Honda's inability to provide good value with the Ridgeline is why I own a Maverick. That's really it.
I just say the ridgeline is more refined because its built on a better chassis.

Sort of how say a highlander is a more refined vehicle than a Rav4, because the highlander is a more upscale chassis, one shared with some lexus products.... where as the Rav4 is a chassis for more lower end economy models.

Yes a ridgeline costs a lot more, but your getting more vehicle for your money. Not saying its all that great of a value or something I would pick either though.

OP
OP
710-oil-614

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just say the ridgeline is more refined because its built on a better chassis.

Sort of how say a highlander is a more refined vehicle than a Rav4, because the highlander is a more upscale chassis, one shared with some lexus products.... where as the Rav4 is a chassis for more lower end economy models.

Yes a ridgeline costs a lot more, but your getting more vehicle for your money. Not saying its all that great of a value or something I would pick either though.
This seems like a weird thing to hang your hat on. The vehicle platform is larger? I guess absent of size I am unsure why that makes it "more refined". Refinement would come from any steering, suspension, drivetrain improvements over the Maverick.

For your Toyota example - both the RAV4 (MC) and the Highlander (GA-K) platforms underpin Lexus models.

The Ridgeline has a 5,000 lb tow capacity - a meager improvement over a 4K rated Maverick.

Ridgeline has a 64 inch, 33.9 cubic foot bed - Maverick has a 54.4 inch 33.3 cubic foot bed

Ridgeline has 262 ft lb of torque < Maverick has 277 ft lbs

Ridgeline has a payload capacity of 1509-1584 lbs - Maverick has 1500 lbs

Ford Maverick Ford on the Clock - 2023 Colorado Trail Boss Ordered 1674854889129

That is also not interior refinement. Honda is living off it's reputation for a quality interior (source: I owned a 2018 Odyssey, and owned a 2022 CRV Hybrid Touring).

Ford's interior is probably a 6. The Ridgeline is a 7.

Nobody is arguing that the Maverick is luxury - but the Ridgeline is a bat attempt at a "truck" for $40k plus and exactly why the Maverick was able to capitalize on the market.
Sponsored