First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far it has been really nice. It is very cute and cozy and functional. Of course it is very small. Living in it with more than one person would probably require you to spend most of your time outside. šŸ˜¬

Scamp trailers also seem to hold their value pretty well so that is a nice bonus.

The wait time for a new Scamp is 1.5 years. You can ask to be put on the ā€œcancellation listā€ to get notified if someone decides not to buy their trailer and Scamp will call you if you want it instead. This has worked for some people to get their trailer faster. But it will be hard to predict when you will get it. If you want something by summer you may have to try and buy second hand. That is what I did. I bought a second hand 2020 Scamp. Expect the price to be close to the new purchase price for second hand Scamps though. They are that popular and there arenā€™t many available.

ā€œfiberglass rv 4saleā€ is a good place to look for second hand fiberglass trailers.
Thank you! That helps a lot. We haven't even decided if we want one yet or not. Definitely not something to live in, just something to avoid sleeping on the ground anymore. Basically just a place to sleep during hunting, fishing, and trapping season. I'd be fine with something that doesn't have a shower or bathroom but the wife vetoed that. A pop up would be fine except for heating it in winter during trapping season. That looks like the best bet so far.

That's a heck of a wait time, but luckily not in a rush if we decide to get one. I appreciate all the info.
Sponsored

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Do you have a YouTube channel ? I don't see what the advantage of a hybrid is ? Given what you are doing wouldn't a 4 K tow AWD have been a better choice ? But great for you being different and doing it your way .

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't see what the advantage of a hybrid is ?
Fuel efficiency?
I probably made back 1/4 of the cost of the trailer in one year driving the Hybrid vs the eco boost. I also dont need 4k towing since the trailer is 1550 lbs.

AWD would definitely be nice.

csuh13

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The wait time for a new Scamp is 1.5 years. You can ask to be put on the ā€œcancellation listā€ to get notified if someone decides not to buy their trailer and Scamp will call you if you want it instead. This has worked for some people to get their trailer faster. But it will be hard to predict when you will get it. If you want something by summer you may have to try and buy second hand. That is what I did. I bought a second hand 2020 Scamp. Expect the price to be close to the new purchase price for second hand Scamps though. They are that popular and there arenā€™t many available.
1.5 years? I guess that makes it the Maverick of the trailer world :)

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverick. Started with a basic cot-tent on the back, to the beautifully engineered GFC camper and now pulling behind that my cozy Scamp trailer.

D15B0652-C485-45E4-9E00-550745DDB62E.jpeg

70F44CFE-6E01-4CBF-95EB-76195B1A81EB.jpeg

7E55B163-A076-4405-A4B8-3962C53097B7.jpeg

i have exactly 30k miles on the truck. The stock tires have another 10k in them before they need replacing.

Lately I have been letting different Ford dealer address some of the recalls and TSBā€™s. The ā€œbrake grabā€ problem is very magnified when you pull a trailer, but I am waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix it.

I also had to get a Brake Controller installed and convert the standard 4 prong trailer connector to a 7 prong one. I had this done at Uhaul of all places. They did it in about an hour for less than $300. But I would have preferred if Ford offered this themselves for Hybrid owners. Getting a third party brake controller isnā€™t as nicely integrated as what Ford offers for the non-hybrid.

The Scamp trailer is fiberglass and weighs only 1550 lbs(with bathroom). The Hybrid has no problem pulling it at all.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a dealer who understands the ā€œbattery deep sleep - need to jump startā€ problem. Every time they test the battery it passes. And living on the road makes it hard to let the truck sit for weeks at a dealer. I wish @Ford Motor Company would release a TSB on this issue (it is not the harness). A TSB makes it so much easier to talk to dealers about an issue.

Anyway I continue to manage the issue with a kill switch that stops all electric drain from 12v battery.

Otherwise the truck has some scrapes and bruises (aka dents and scratches) because it goes where the adventure takes me. But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Print out the TSB for the "grabby" brake problem and explain to your dealer it does not require parts. I did have the EGR sensor mentioned in the TSB replaced but that should be readily available if needed.

Sponsored

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
28-30 ish but this is hard to measure exactly since I idle a lot standing still while the Maverick provides power to the trailer.

Which distorts the numbers a lot since you are using gas without making miles.

This is however another big benefit of the Hybrid Maverick. It will automatically enable the combustion engine every 30 minutes or so for a minute or two to charge it hybrid battery. Which can then charge the trailer. So the Maverick is acting like a generator (except lower voltage) and appears to do so efficiently.
It looks like you may have room for at least one solar panel on the roof of the scamp. That would help with keeping your camper battery charged. Even a portable panel would do it. I would go with a small gas generator before putting all that wear on my truck.

Huchipapa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 Trooper; '04 9-3; '13 Outback; '24 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like youā€™re having great adventures! I have a similar plan for my ordered Lariat hybrid once I fully retire in 3 years. Glad the Scamp works!

Dignam

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT FX4/Tow/Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write up, thanks for sharing! So cool that you're able to have an adventure like that.

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Unfortunately I have yet to find a dealer who understands the ā€œbattery deep sleep - need to jump startā€ problem. Every time they test the battery it passes. And living on the road makes it hard to let the truck sit for weeks at a dealer. I wish @Ford Motor Company would release a TSB on this issue (it is not the harness). A TSB makes it so much easier to talk to dealers about an issue.
In your shoes, I might just bite the bullet and spend the money to replace the battery myself. I know that's a bite to the wallet, but to me, it would be worth the time you've lost taking it to multiple dealers for multiple days...

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverick. Started with a basic cot-tent on the back, to the beautifully engineered GFC camper and now pulling behind that my cozy Scamp trailer.

D15B0652-C485-45E4-9E00-550745DDB62E.jpeg

70F44CFE-6E01-4CBF-95EB-76195B1A81EB.jpeg

7E55B163-A076-4405-A4B8-3962C53097B7.jpeg

i have exactly 30k miles on the truck. The stock tires have another 10k in them before they need replacing.

Lately I have been letting different Ford dealer address some of the recalls and TSBā€™s. The ā€œbrake grabā€ problem is very magnified when you pull a trailer, but I am waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix it.

I also had to get a Brake Controller installed and convert the standard 4 prong trailer connector to a 7 prong one. I had this done at Uhaul of all places. They did it in about an hour for less than $300. But I would have preferred if Ford offered this themselves for Hybrid owners. Getting a third party brake controller isnā€™t as nicely integrated as what Ford offers for the non-hybrid.

The Scamp trailer is fiberglass and weighs only 1550 lbs(with bathroom). The Hybrid has no problem pulling it at all.

Anyway I continue to manage the issue with a kill switch that stops all electric drain from 12v battery.

Otherwise the truck has some scrapes and bruises (aka dents and scratches) because it goes where the adventure takes me. But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Get ready for all the EB 4k AWD fanboys to start attacking your set up. Lol jk we are fam here

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
are you using 12v to power your camper or the 110v 400 watt inverter? do you have to keep the key "on" for the engine to charge the battery?
i am panning on building out a 6x12 cargo trailer and living in it while i travel and use the Mav for uber/lyft/doordash to offset expenses as i pass through various cities.
it would save a lot of weight and money if i could power the trailer with the truck while off grid.

thanks so much for the post. it is pretty great that your hybrid is getting such good MPG even laden with the tent and the scamp.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverickā€¦ But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick 70DE0436-10C4-49DC-B5C9-9A0D431869BF
Very inspiring and congratulations! I really like the appearance of your truck. May I ask where you got the side window decals? Very sharp looking!

Wx Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hendricus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks. I always mess this up. I am not a native English speaker (I am Dutch). I fixed it up.
Ik spreek ook Nederlands! Ik kom uit Den Haag-Kijkduin (y)
Sponsored