lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverick. Started with a basic cot-tent on the back, to the beautifully engineered GFC camper and now pulling behind that my cozy Scamp trailer.

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick D15B0652-C485-45E4-9E00-550745DDB62E

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick 70F44CFE-6E01-4CBF-95EB-76195B1A81EB

Ford Maverick One year living on the road with my Maverick 7E55B163-A076-4405-A4B8-3962C53097B7

i have exactly 30k miles on the truck. The stock tires have another 10k in them before they need replacing.

Lately I have been letting different Ford dealer address some of the recalls and TSBā€™s. The ā€œbrake grabā€ problem is very magnified when you pull a trailer, but I am waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix it.

I also had to get a Brake Controller installed and convert the standard 4 prong trailer connector to a 7 prong one. I had this done at Uhaul of all places. They did it in about an hour for less than $300. But I would have preferred if Ford offered this themselves for Hybrid owners. Getting a third party brake controller isnā€™t as nicely integrated as what Ford offers for the non-hybrid.

The Scamp trailer is fiberglass and weighs only 1550 lbs(with bathroom). The Hybrid has no problem pulling it at all.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a dealer who understands the ā€œbattery deep sleep - need to jump startā€ problem. Every time they test the battery it passes. And living on the road makes it hard to let the truck sit for weeks at a dealer. I wish @Ford Motor Company would release a TSB on this issue (it is not the harness). A TSB makes it so much easier to talk to dealers about an issue.

Anyway I continue to manage the issue with a kill switch that stops all electric drain from 12v battery.

Otherwise the truck has some scrapes and bruises (aka dents and scratches) because it goes where the adventure takes me. But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am coming up on one year living on the road with my Maverick. Started with a basic cot-tent on the back, to the beautifully engineered GFC camper and now pulling behind that my cozy Scamp trailer.

D15B0652-C485-45E4-9E00-550745DDB62E.jpeg

70F44CFE-6E01-4CBF-95EB-76195B1A81EB.jpeg

7E55B163-A076-4405-A4B8-3962C53097B7.jpeg

i have exactly 30k miles on the truck. The stock tires have another 10k in them before they need replacing.

Lately I have been letting different Ford dealer address some of the recalls and TSBā€™s. The ā€œbreak grabā€ problem is very magnified when you pull a trailer, but I am waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix it.

I also had to get a Break Controller installed and convert the standard 4 prong trailer connector to a 7 prong one. I had this done at Uhaul of all places. They did it in about an hour for less than $300. But I would have preferred if Ford offered this themselves for Hybrid owners. Getting a third party break controller isnā€™t as nicely integrated as what Ford offers for the non-hybrid.

The Scamp trailer is fiberglass and weighs only 1550 lbs(with bathroom). The Hybrid has no problem pulling it at all.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a dealer who understands the ā€œbattery deep sleep - need to jump startā€ problem. Every time they test the battery it passes. And living on the road makes it hard to let the truck sit for weeks at a dealer. I wish @Ford Motor Company would release a TSB on this issue (it is not the harness). A TSB makes it so much easier to talk to dealers about an issue.

Anyway I continue to manage the issue with a kill switch that stops all electric drain from 12v battery.

Otherwise the truck has some scrapes and bruises (aka dents and scratches) because it goes where the adventure takes me. But it has held up beautifully and I am super grateful that Ford has made this hybrid truck that has giving me so many adventures.
Great to read your post. I have an XLT LUX hybrid that I expect to use intermittently and as such am expecting deep sleeping. I am pondering using either a second battery with selector switch to increase amp hours of factory battery (use either of both but would have issue of both needing matched set and how to handle bms hookup? so one battery at a time more likely). Or the possibility of a solar powered battery maintainer hooked up as desired to existing 12v instead of disconnect switch like you are using. I am actually thinking I might use a second 12v battery to power the 12v maintainer for the factory 12v and have the second 12v battery recharged by the solar panel that way bypass the factory bms issue of two batteries at same time. Could also have maintainer only activate when factory 12v dropped to 12.1 or 12.2v or use its own start/stop triggers.
Concerning the 7 pin aftermarket brake controller would it be possible to wire a dummy trailer AKA light bar imitating a trailer to plug into the 4 pin factory plug resulting in computer thinking a trailer without brakes was there and using its programming etc when pulling the trailer actually being controlled by 7 pin controller. I am thinking it should help with any anti sway braking that needs to be done on hybrids wheels as well as towing mode shift points, etc ???? Let us know how this works if you try it before I do. I see you got the bath model scampāœ…āœ…āœ…

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of gas mileage are you getting pulling the trailer?
28-30 ish but this is hard to measure exactly since I idle a lot standing still while the Maverick provides power to the trailer.

Which distorts the numbers a lot since you are using gas without making miles.

This is however another big benefit of the Hybrid Maverick. It will automatically enable the combustion engine every 30 minutes or so for a minute or two to charge it hybrid battery. Which can then charge the trailer. So the Maverick is acting like a generator (except lower voltage) and appears to do so efficiently.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Concerning the 7 pin aftermarket brake controller would it be possible to wire a dummy trailerā€¦
There are plenty of 4 to 7 pin converters. If you donā€™t need to activate the brake on the trailer just buy one of those and you are done. I definitely want to activate the trailers brakes though and it is also required by law for trailers above 1500 lbs in most states.

Last edited:
OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Very nice! Could you talk more about why the progression from cot-tent to Scamper?
Great question.

The tent-on-truck setup is great when you are ā€œoverlandingā€. You travel a lot, exploring new areas every (few) days and you just need a quick place to setup and sleep every night.

That is what I did for about 10 months and it was good for that, but it is still a tent. You donā€™t want to hang out in it during the day or in bad weather.

Now I want to slow down the traveling a bit and want a place with more comfort that lets me escape the elements (wind, rain, dust) a little. Plus it has a bathroom and kitchen sink. Which just feel incredibly luxurious right now after going without for 10 months.

My plan is to use the trailer as a mobile home-base and do smaller trips with just the truck-camper setup from there.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are plenty of 4 to 7 pin converters. If you donā€™t need to activate the breaks on the trailer just buy one of those and you are done. I definitely want to activate the trailers breaks though and it is also required by law for trailers above 1500 lbs in most states.
Sorry I did not make myself clear as I frequently do. I also want 7 pin aftermarket, probably curt stand alone one with T-plugs at rear tail lights and hot wire from battery or fuze panel for 7 pin trailer. If your truck is like mine and came with the 4pin receiver and plug my question is "Would plugging a 'fake trailer' using a light bar with turn/brake/running lights into the 4 pin plug make the computer turn off and on things and recognize that a 7 pin hooked up trailer which was not detected due to the stand alone hookup it has". I also like the curt wifi 7 pin brake controller which let's one move trailer and controller as well as different trailers between different vehicles but you need app for it installed on ones phone/device. Some installing lights or other non trailer uses into the 4pin plug have complained of the truck turning sensors off because it believes a trailer has been hooked up. Thanks in advance for your considering this.

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What's your overall impression of the Scamp trailer so far? Been considering looking for a little trailer to pull around. I've got 4k on my ordered Maverick but the Bronco Sport we have coming in is 2k tow. Would be nice to find something that can be pulled with either one. A bathroom is a necessity according to the wife. Can I ask about how much it was? How long did it take to get it after ordering it? We're taking our first vacation ever after 14 years together this Summer to the National trappers convention in Escanaba. Driving from Idaho to it and we'll be driving the Bronco right by the factory. Could be a great way to pick it up. Thanks!

Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey OP. Hard to believe that your misspelling got you in "Dutch"! Another American use of a word in a weird way!! :unsure: Sort of idiotic or is that idiomatic? Hey I give up!! :)

Wishing you continued happy travels and happy Mavericking!!

OP
OP

lumonix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What's your overall impression of the Scamp trailer so far?
So far it has been really nice. It is very cute and cozy and functional. Of course it is very small. Living in it with more than one person would probably require you to spend most of your time outside. šŸ˜¬

Scamp trailers also seem to hold their value pretty well so that is a nice bonus.

The wait time for a new Scamp is 1.5 years. You can ask to be put on the ā€œcancellation listā€ to get notified if someone decides not to buy their trailer and Scamp will call you if you want it instead. This has worked for some people to get their trailer faster. But it will be hard to predict when you will get it. If you want something by summer you may have to try and buy second hand. That is what I did. I bought a second hand 2020 Scamp. Expect the price to be close to the new purchase price for second hand Scamps though. They are that popular and there arenā€™t many available.

ā€œfiberglass rv 4saleā€ is a good place to look for second hand fiberglass trailers.

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Transit Prius Honda Yamaha Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great question.

The tent-on-truck setup is great when you are ā€œoverlandingā€. You travel a lot, exploring new areas every (few) days and you just need a quick place to setup and sleep every night.

That is what I did for about 10 months and it was good for that, but it is still a tent. You donā€™t want to hang out in it during the day or in bad weather.

Now I want to slow down the traveling a bit and want a place with more comfort that lets me escape the elements (wind, rain, dust) a little. Plus it has a bathroom and kitchen sink. Which just feel incredibly luxurious right now after going without for 10 months.

My plan is to use the trailer as a mobile home-base and do smaller trips with just the truck-camper setup from there.
That sounds ideal. Venturing off exploring for a day or 2 then returning to home base in the Scamp at a campground. Nice!
Sponsored