Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Funny all the off road videos I have seen for maverick , none shown in snow!
Won't yet, but the tires make all of the difference in snow and slush. A good set of tires and AWD are more than capable in winter weather, not saying it will get you through 2 feet of snow in the Maverick but I am guessing up to foot (+/- an inch or so) should be passable. I am not concerned about winter travel, granted I am replacing the crappy Pirelli's with Falken AT's shortly after delivery which should be soon.
Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Funny all the off road videos I have seen for maverick , none shown in snow!
There hasn't been any snow since the truck was released...

HarlzMav

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis coupe
I wouldn't take a Maverick "off-road" in any format, but I'm suspecting my idea of "off-road" varies greatly from most of you. I think for the sake of most here, you'd actually be classified as "soft-roaders", nothing wrong with that, just a better definition IMO.

If I needed/wanted to go "off-road", I'd go with a full-size Ford Bronco.

Actually, I'd probably just get a SxS/UTV and tow it to the trails with my Mav. That's as off-road as I'd take a Maverick. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I got the Mav to lug around my bote aero rover with a tailgate extender and to tow a trailer with 4 wheelers. So right there with you.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Maverick awd system is better then the Subaru Wilderness and Hyundai systems in testing so far if you watch the YouTube comparisons.

Sponsored

PCK

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW R32; Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Lazy reviewers not making it snow for proper testing..."

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reviving this thread for this question: What is the water fording depth of the ecoboost maverick?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Reviving this thread for this question: What is the water fording depth of the ecoboost maverick?
Computer is down in the fender by the tire so....... a foot? Slowly?

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For any vehicle, a basic rule of thumb is to not go into any water where the depth comes up to higher than half way up the rims, although specially configured vehicles can sometimes exceed this.

On page 274 of the PDF owner's manual it says:

When driving though water, determine the
depth and avoid water higher than the
center of the wheel.

Once through water, always try the brakes.
Wet brakes do not stop your vehicle as
quickly as dry brakes. Apply light pressure
to the brake pedal while slowly moving the
vehicle to dry the brakes.

Last edited:

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Great news that you got the FX4 and 2.0… so you can tow something to the ORV parks. Most of the side by sides are well over $20k now (more than many Mav MSRP) and will be much better suited for trails and serious off roading. The Maverick should do a great job of getting through fire roads, camping areas and bad weather but I wouldn’t take it anywhere overly technical. That is where Jeep’s and SxSs live. I added the tow package to my FX4 in the event a SxS is in my future and I can exceed the 2k tow limit when needed.
This is my thought too . I have an XL with 4 k AWD coming . I already have a 4x8 aluminum trailer and a Honda CRF 300L . My plan is to go as far as the Maverick can go ,then unload the bike and keep going .

Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So I just updated my order from a hybrid to the Ecoboost with AWD and FX4. I've only owned rear wheel drive trucks, and never done any off-roading, so I'm curious about what the general capabilities of the FX4 will be. I'm assuming I'm not going to go rock crawling or racing in Baja, but what would it's hypothetical limitations be? Sand, mud, steep mountain roads, once in a generation Texas winter apocalypse? Obviously we don't have them yet but it must have some comparable statistics that'll let us ballpark it.

Additionally does anyone know of a good primer for off-roading, especially with a less capable vehicle like the Maverick? I'd expect most are geared towards the jeeps, lifted midsize trucks and broncos of the world.

Lastly, I'm in Texas, and I've been seeing that Texas has OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) parks run by the parks and wildlife department. Does anyone have experience with those and think they'd be a good place to take a Maverick? Which ones if so?
I have only driven on dirt or gravel roads so far, I got the FX4 for the cool decal! and resale value.

Osilith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 4K Shadow Black, 2001 Tahoe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not saying you should go into water higher than described in the owners manual “center of the wheel”. But mentioning the location of the computer in the fender makes me wonder how difficult it would be to relocate this system to somewhere higher on the truck. Just worried about hurricane season around here lol

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Not saying you should go into water higher than described in the owners manual “center of the wheel”. But mentioning the location of the computer in the fender makes me wonder how difficult it would be to relocate this system to somewhere higher on the truck. Just worried about hurricane season around here lol
Some of the lift threads with fender cutting have moved it a bit but not far.
Sponsored