Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XLT Ranger Supercab
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello!

Months ago I had given my dealership my order, plus a $500 deposit to place the order (which would roll into my down payment). This week I got an email from Ford confirming my 2023 order, but it's an EcoBoost, not a Hybrid.

When I called the dealership to ask them for help, they argued with me and essentially said it's too bad/too late and that they didn't make a mistake (despite documentation proving otherwise). As much as I would prefer the hybrid, maybe the EcoBoost is okay for my life....however I build furniture and have limited knowledge on cars tbh.

My commute to my office is a few minutes each way/7mi round trip, on surface streets going 45mph. I will almost never haul anything, and the heaviest things I'll put in the bed are a sheet or two of plywood or the occasional impulsive furniture purchase. Currently I drive a 99 Ranger, so at this point either engine would be a significant mileage improvement.

Should I keep my order? Should I keep my order just in case, but look around for a Hybrid and ask other nearby dealerships to put me on a wait list?
Sponsored

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Damn, that sucks. At this point there is no changing the order that is getting built, doesn't change the fact the dealer messed up either. I would take the Ecoboost and then order a Hybrid and drive the 22 until the 23 came in. I know it's not the perfect answer but it's a realistic one. Some members will say burn the dealer at the stake, which you can do, but it won't change the fact that there is an Ecoboost with your name on it and not a hybrid. There is no magic wand the dealer can wave to change that.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello!

Months ago I had given my dealership my order, plus a $500 deposit to place the order (which would roll into my down payment). This week I got an email from Ford confirming my 2023 order, but it's an EcoBoost, not a Hybrid.

When I called the dealership to ask them for help, they argued with me and essentially said it's too bad/too late and that they didn't make a mistake (despite documentation proving otherwise). As much as I would prefer the hybrid, maybe the EcoBoost is okay for my life....however I build furniture and have limited knowledge on cars tbh.

My commute to my office is a few minutes each way/7mi round trip, on surface streets going 45mph. I will almost never haul anything, and the heaviest things I'll put in the bed are a sheet or two of plywood or the occasional impulsive furniture purchase. Currently I drive a 99 Ranger, so at this point either engine would be a significant mileage improvement.

Should I keep my order? Should I keep my order just in case, but look around for a Hybrid and ask other nearby dealerships to put me on a wait list?
I asked in a thread the other day what folks were getting with an Ecoboost and many said 29-31 mpg. I have ordered two hybrids , but I would be happy with those levels of mpg.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello!

In all fairness, you are more likely to get the ecoboost built. I personally say keep the EB and in a couple years, trade for a hybrid once the supply constraints work themselves out.

sarduyjorge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ordered my 1st Maverick June 2021 hybrid and received October 2021 wrong engine but stayed with it and put up to now 32K, put a second order in October 2021 and received 2022 January, dealer swiped it from me and sold to another customer (did YouTube BEWARE MALL OF GEORGIA FORD), salesman called me and asked me if I wanted to place an order with no $0 down, I did and now they said that I never signed and my order didn't go thru 😔
Incompetence everywhere

Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello!

Erin, My first choice was a hybrid in late 2022. I missed to order cutoff by a week. When I heard EB orders were going to be cut off in late Jan/22 I place the order for an XL EB. I have since then been very impressed with the EB mileage. Yes, a hybrid maybe the best fit for both you and I but the EB has not disappointed.
Ford Maverick Dealer Ordered Wrong Engine IMG_20220819_075331

Deleted member 14823

Looks like you're already getting feedback on how this might affect the delivery time, etc. I can't tell you if one is better than the other, but if you are committing to a sizable purchase you should get exactly what you want. If you're anything like me then it will drive you nuts every time you look at it in the driveway and that thought keeps popping up in your head.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks like you're already getting feedback on how this might affect the delivery time, etc. I can't tell you if one is better than the other, but if you are committing to a sizable purchase you should get exactly what you want. If you're anything like me then it will drive you nuts every time you look at it in the driveway and that thought keeps popping up in your head.
I guess it comes down to needs. Do you need something now or can you wait for what you want even if it is for the 2024 model? The wrong truck this year may be cheaper than the right truck next year. But it doesn't really matter if it is the wrong truck.

BostonMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would keep the order and take it when it arrives. Just make sure you have your agreed pricing in writing and signed by the dealer. CYA, an engine mistake is much easier to swallow than a pricing issue after it arrives months later.

You can always order a hybrid from another dealer next year, or if the current dealer treats you well the rest of the way, lean on that relationship and re-order from them when it reopens.

James Smith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Ranger
Hello!

I was considering getting a Hybrid, but ended up getting the Ecoboost with the 2 litre Turbo. It has great power at 250 HP and 277 ft lbs of Torque . It is an All Wheel Drive . It gets great Fuel mileage on the Highway , can even be better than the EPA estimates if not driving too hard. But it does use more Fuel in the City than the EPA estimates claims ( Partly because I disable the auto start stop ) so those are considerations.

But really, it should be up to you if you want the Hybrid or the 2 litre Turbo model .Not the dealer. It's a lot of money. Get the vehicle You want, even if you have to wait a bit longer
. As for the deposit, if you end up buying elsewhere, the 1st dealer should refund that to you in full

Last edited:
Sponsored

Deleted member 14823

I guess it comes down to needs. Do you need something now or can you wait for what you want even if it is for the 2024 model? The wrong truck this year may be cheaper than the right truck next year. But it doesn't really matter if it is the wrong truck.

Yeah, I guess that's an individual decision. I was really just speaking about the amount of money and time invested only to wind up with something that you have doubts about.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello!

Hi Erin,

You and I communicated a few times on another thread a few months ago....

It sucks that this happened to you. As others have stated, unfortunately you're stuck with the engine selection. Hopefully the dealer can and will do something to make amends for this when your truck arrives.

I personally like my EB truck a lot. My advice is to keep your order, then evaluate how you like it. Next year, if you are so inclined you can order a Hybrid.

Good luck!

Jraoffroad

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150, 2001 F350 Diesel Dually, 2019 Kia Soul
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would a hybrid even help on that short of a drive? My understanding is the engine still runs until it gets up to operating temperature. I have the same drive time and am only managing 18 miles to gallon in a Kia Soul but still only need to put fuel in it every 45 days.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hello!

Keep the Ecoboost. Then when you can order a plug in maverick do so.