First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing more and more threads, both here and on Reddit, about Hybrid owners with battery drainage issues (I.e. waking up to a completely dead truck in the garage that needs to be jumped) or even hybrids that entirely shut down while in motion - including at highway speeds. This all apparently has to do with an issue with the wiring harness but I have to say, it’s making me second guess my thoughts about ordering a 2023 Hybrid. Anyone else starting to get cold feet?
Nope.

Most people w/ hybrids aren't having this issue. It isn't a battery issue either....it is the wire harness w/ a bad solder, as you say in your post.

Sponsored

glider

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4runner 2019 Honda civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I keep seeing more and more threads, both here and on Reddit, about Hybrid owners with battery drainage issues (I.e. waking up to a completely dead truck in the garage that needs to be jumped) or even hybrids that entirely shut down while in motion - including at highway speeds. This all apparently has to do with an issue with the wiring harness but I have to say, it’s making me second guess my thoughts about ordering a 2023 Hybrid. Anyone else starting to get cold feet?
NO

AzCactusGray

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C5, SC430, 67XKE, 08 XJR, 78 F250, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. Love love love our Lariat Lux Hybrid. No issues yet and if any do pop up, such will be dealt with.
As a side note I don't freak out. Freaking out is never effective or productive.

013SamIAm

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Flex, 1965 Ford Galaxie, 2014 Toyota Camry
for all the ones you see on here having problems there are more not having the problem. We had one come in our shop last week and it was a simple fix. I know we have sold over 10 hybrids and only one come back for it that isn't bad.

Last edited:

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can't say I was freaked out by it. About the only thing that freaks me out these days is taxes, but I gotta say I am not impressed. Crap happens, nothing is perfect but that cable with the crappy silver soldered lug and aluminum wire is real bush league to say the least. One does not need a degree in Electrical Engineering to know that is one crappy jury rig.

In the end, it was not hybrid's problems that sent me to the EB. It is just my love for good old gas and oil and the desire for AWD and an independent rear suspension and the better ride and handling on crappy Vermont roads it affords. I do not drive enough for the difference in gas mileage to make a big difference.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You either love hybrids and they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, or you don't. As an engineer, I consider them a painfully awkward, Rube Goldberg, "halfway to BEV" stopgap solution. The worst thing an engineer can do for reliability is make the whole system more complex. Guess what a hybrid does?

At the same time, I can emote and easily see how non-engineers would consider them a brilliant choice. When they work, they work great. When they don't work, they tend to not work very expensively. And in the Maverick, you've got a long warranty behind that hybrid. And it's dirt cheap, almost to the point where you figure there has to be minimal profit margin.

Lemme be fair and say buying an EcoBoost is just as problematic. A highly stressed, high compression, very hot engine with forced induction and direct injection is a perfect recipe for a short engine lifespan. It could be worse, you could be buying a Bronco Sport with a 3 cylinder turbo engine pushed way beyond sanity.

We're all on a journey to pure BEV anyway. A good number of members here will stomp and howl and scream "You'll pry my gasoline engine from my cold dead hands!". But if they live to buy a new car in 2030, odds are it will be a BEV and they'll love it.

Bottom line. If the hybrid is already worrying you, you probably shouldn't get one. If you're not a worrier and you like the fuel economy - by all means join a gazillion happy hybrid owners out there and put the money you save to buying your spouse a nice dinner out now and then.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm totally freaked out! I've been self medicating to ease the anxiety.

SpaceyMac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Maverick Lariat 360 2.5L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having owned a hybrid with almost 100k trouble free mileage and managing a fleet of over 300 HEV and PHEV vehicles which are mostly Ford, the concern is misguided. These systems work great. What most people don't understand/realize is that these vehicles have 2 batteries. 12v start battery and the hybrid pack. These issues that are occurring with the Maverick are for the 12v battery only. Hybrid packs are robust and reliable allowing less wear on engines due to less run time.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, we know it's a wiring harness issue, which means ford knows. Ford should be able to fix it in the relatively near future.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.