First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reliability? that's not what Ford is known for. Irregardless, the reason that most of us new comers buying the truck for is that it's supposed to be cheap or 'affordable'. But most dealers have fucked that up so bad that it's a one and done experience for people like myself. I'm sure I'm the one in minority here but heck if you want a convert from other brands it's time to make a good impression and unfortunately, Ford has sucked that up bigly.
Fyi...Ford generally has been more reliable than a lot of brands and especially GM and Chrysler. Way behind Toyota, Honda and Subaru though. I'm a big believer in Consumer Reports auto rating guides.
Sponsored

StillWaiting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brandyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reliability? that's not what Ford is known for. Irregardless, the reason that most of us new comers buying the truck for is that it's supposed to be cheap or 'affordable'. But most dealers have fucked that up so bad that it's a one and done experience for people like myself. I'm sure I'm the one in minority here but heck if you want a convert from other brands it's time to make a good impression and unfortunately, Ford has sucked that up bigly.
I disagree. Iā€™m coming from dodge and the price and warranty is what sold me. You should look into the reliability since there are plenty of examples from Ford .

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fyi...Ford generally has been more reliable than a lot of brands and especially GM and Chrysler. Way behind Toyota, Honda and Subaru though. I'm a big believer in Consumer Reports auto rating guides.
I've subscribed to Consumer Reports since the 1980's They are really useful and the only - one of the few places for unbiased reviews. They buy the products they test just like consumers do. As opposed to the various car magazines and online sites that get their stuff from the manufacturers. No doubt carefully gone through before they are loaned.

But their biggest strength on reliability reports - the huge number of people that fill out the annual survey on products they use including cars - is also a weakness. When it comes to reliability, they are always 18-24 months behind. So if a model or brand really turns the corner and improves a bunch - like say Hyundai did in 1999-2000, it is a couple of years before they notice. CR was not recommending my 2000 Accent when I purchased it - but places like Edmunds and JD Power were noting the obvious quality improvement. And if things go south, like Subaru's transmissions woes and the 1.5 Ecobost Ford motors failing at high rates (2017-2019) it was years before CR catches up with it and adjusts the ratings.

Maverick2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I disagree. Iā€™m coming from dodge and the price and warranty is what sold me. You should look into the reliability since there are plenty of examples from Ford .
Youā€™ve just validated my reason. Price. If this thing had cost mid 30s as starting price I think there would have been a different level of demand. Letā€™s see if Iā€™m right on this the next time Ford makes a change in their pricing for next year model.

OP
OP
thyITguy

thyITguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It has taken a week but i now have a loaner and they are in the process of replacing transmission.
I was also told that they wanted to use my truck to find out exactly what broke. I seem to have a good relationship with the service advisor and will do my best to get as detailed response to my issue as i can and relay it here

Sponsored

Ralli

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mine is doing this now. Started last night. Seems hit or miss but always from a complete stop, not while moving. It is finally hot here and Im wondering if the outside temps have anything to do with it. Curious to hear what they find out for you.

OP
OP
thyITguy

thyITguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey @Ralli
sorry to hear that you seem to be experiencing something similar. Was it like my vid ??

Thread folks:

I have my truck back I have put ~225 (2x ~110 miles highway trips) miles on it since I received the truck back from service. I was told upon getting it back that FORD told my service dept to "Red Tag" my original transmission. the service manager told me that means do not diagnose on site, crate it whole, and sent to them Michigan( I assume ). They replaced the entire transmission and drove it a bit <10mi. and gave me the keys.

As I said in the 225 miles on new trans I have all my power all the acceleration that I feel to be the same on original trans that i had from 10 to 926 miles after purchase

I had one small hesitation but i can't that that my foot didn't slip off petal or anything.

I'm open to direct questions if you have any

I would recommend that if your issues continue I hope you have a second car /get a loaner fast but get it to service under MFG warranty

ask away......

*edit on line 6 mileage count

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
2022 EB, FX4, 4K, delivered 10/15/22
02/24/22 - Transmission Failure with 20k miles on odo
Clunk when placed in gear {D or R}. In D would not move when throttle first pressed, then lurched forward for a short distance, paused as if stalled, then would seem to reengage and continue on, shuffling occasionally.

Very hazardous to drive this way, had to park it and call a tow truck.

Been three days, and still haven't heard from the service department.

OP
OP
thyITguy

thyITguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds similar to my issue
I understand issues
but may the service dept Slacked on service real bad
i wish you the best

hey @Ford Motor Company your time to shine wanna chime in

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First dealer, my local Ford dealer I use for service, could not provide transmission service as they did not currently have a factory certified tech on staff. This necessitated going to another location, quite bit farther away. And you are correct, they have backlog of work. Makes one pine for simpler vehicles and times.

Sponsored

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I understand issues
i wish you the best

was yours fixed to your satisfaction? any problems since? How many miles on the replacement trans? I have an Eco boost on order as well as the Hybrid, just gathering info on potential future problems and the cure for them. Thank You

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I understand issues
i wish you the best

Good morning! If you send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dealer contacted me late yesterday with the news they were going need to replace my transmission. Could not give me any more info at this time, but would keep me informed about the progress of the changeout.

2022 Lariat EB, FX4, 4K, delivered 10/15/21
02/24/23 - Transmission Failure with 20k miles on odo / Towed to dealer.

Will post updates on progress.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A TIMELINE RECAP OF MY TRANSMISSION FAILURE
2022 Lariat EB, FX4, 4K, delivered 10/15/21
Thursday, February 23, 2023
@ 1230 - Started experiencing hesitation and stumbling when trying to get moving from a stop. Also began to hear noises from the transmission when engaging the reverse and drive positions, clunks and clanks. Stopped by my local Ford dealer, one I have been using for regular service. They drove the vehicle and it exhibited these symptoms, ran a diagnostic scan, indicated a solenoid was bad. Service manager did not think this would solve the problem. Unfortunately he did not currently have a Ford certified transmission technician on staff, and recommended I take it to a dealer who did.

Friday, February 24, 2023
@ 1330 - While on the way to the dealer that sold me the Mav, experienced a ā€˜Total transmission Failureā€™ with 20,024 miles on odo / Towed to dealer [Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC]. Was provided rental car, as service advisor [Gordon Drummond] did not feel it was a minor problem that could be completed in one day.

Thursday, March 2, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon contacted me with the news they were going need to replace my transmission. Could not give me any more info at this time, but would keep me informed about the progress of the changeout.

Friday, March 3, 2023
@ 1630 PH< Gordon called, transmission work complete, side airbag recall replacement done, truck ready for pickup.

Saturday, March 4, 2023
@ 0930 - Returned rental and picked up Mav. Drives fineā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.now to see for how long.

While this not what should have occurred at 20k miles, must credit Ford, and Fairway Ford in Greenville, SC, who really got on this problem for me, quite amazed at a turn around time of one week for a transmission evaluation and replacement. Especially given the workload dealerships are experiencing.

In hindsight, some of the quirks I noticed/experienced prior to the failure, and attributed to adaptive electronic transmission self adjusting, may have been early indicators of looming problems. Hard to make a judgement call without/until the cause of the failure is known.

Do know I donā€™t like the rotary gear selector, nor itā€™s location.
Auto transmission gear selection historically has been a linear process, with distinct, definable, detents for each position. Requiring a transition from linear to rotary gear selection, when in the traditional linear console location, creates steep learning curve.

The Mav was created to be a smaller PU TRUCK. Yes, reducing cost by parts bin engineering will save some time/dollars, but really diminishes the end result. Another issue is the inability to select a lower range/gear, and have the transmission make an immediate shift. Instead we have to wait till the electronics decide it should be done.

May be showing my age, but I would prefer to DRIVE the vehicle, not have an algorithm designed in a lab/office make real world decisions for me.

END OF OLD CURMUDGEON RANT.

Transmission - Our trucks use the 8F35 transmission. Found this little tech article if you want to know more about our transmissions. <Ford's New 8-Speed>
https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/fords-new-8-speed/

A word of caution, warranty towing works, IF you know how to gain access, and what will be expected:
  1. You will need to call ā€˜Ford Roadside Assistanceā€™ 1-800-241-3673. They will tow you to the closest dealer within fifty (50) miles.
  2. You will need to enter your VIN number.
  3. You will need to provide some details about the problem.
  4. You may be given the option of several dealer locations to select for delivery, might be wise to familiarize yourself with their proximity prior to making the call.
  5. Unless prearranged otherwise, you will need to be with your vehicle when the tow truck arrives.

Hope this will be helpful to others who might experience similar issues.
    ...............hpdl (herr professor doktor lesmeister)

Sponsored