Joe Mav

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 F 150 XL
Hello,
In Washington state, we are charged $75.00 a year for driving a hybrid. We have to pay this fee in order to get our license tags. Do you have to pay a fee in your state? If you do, how much?
Sponsored

mla_anderson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus SE Coupe, 22 F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
South Dakota has a $50 fee for electric vehicles. The wording of the law suggests that plug-in hybrids would also be covered, but not the Maverick.

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe it's a $50 surcharge in Indiana when you do your plates....$150 for EVs.

Last edited:

Montykeel

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011Escape Hybrid and 2022 XL Poverty Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Our cultural warrior Arkansas govt decided to punish full electric vehicle owners with a $200 fee. And hybrid owners with $100. Hmmm. All in the name of making up for lost gas tax revenue. Hmmm. I noticed they aren't offering a rebate to folks driving gas guzzlers. Just following their logic. I see these fees as punishment for something see as Liberal.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I pay a tax for my electric vehicles in Colorado, but I've never heard of one for hybrids. Since EVs don't pay gas taxes for road maintenance, I understand why there's a tax. Even PHEVs, since they are frequently using only electricity, could reasonably be expected to require some kind of road maintenance tax. But I don't understand why an additional tax would be collected for a regular hybrid, since they are paying gas taxes. Edit: I looked this up for Washington state, and it's true that they collect an additional tax for hybrids. Weird.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here in Wisconsin its $75 extra per year for a hybrid & $100 for an EV. No good deed goes unpunished!

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
About 4 or 5 years ago Tennessee starting a 100 .00 for a all electric vehicles but at this time ????? Nothing for a hybrid .

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wish states would just get rid of all gas taxes and/or fees on electric/hybrid vehicles and just go with a cost per mile driven charge as that would be fair to all drivers. Those that drive more (thus causing wear and tear on roads) would pay more.

The above could be done easily for states that require a pollution/safety inspection. Just note the odometer reading change from last inspection to the current one.

Sponsored

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish states would just get rid of all gas taxes and/or fees on electric/hybrid vehicles and just go with a cost per mile driven charge as that would be fair to all drivers. Those that drive more (thus causing wear and tear on roads) would pay more.

The above could be done easily for states that require a pollution/safety inspection. Just note the odometer reading change from last inspection to the current one.
Do we have a hybrid tax in Texas?

8211badger

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That's not how road wear works tho. If they only charged trucks per mile that would be more targeted. Trucks and weather damage roads. Cars don't do enough to change the equation. No one anywhere is getting that kind of thing passed tho.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For it to be completely fair they would also have to charge based on the weight of the vehicle, since heavier vehicles cause more wear and tear on roads.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of ev races coming down the road to replace lost gas taxes. The Ev’s will be harder on the roads too because they are heavier.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.