Sponsored

The long arm of the . . . Hybrid and EV road tax fees likely coming to you. [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love it when an inherently political thread has a big [NO POLITICS] warning.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The gov always gets their money. Or they just print more! So our grand kids will pay it for us!

Burdy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01' Excursion 7.3, 82' CJ-8, 01' ACTY, 23' MAV HYB
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I love it when an inherently political thread has a big [NO POLITICS] warning.
In forums politics are always allowed as long as you agree with those that do the moderation.

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

California pays taxes on everything. Income, sales, and everything else. Expensive taxes. We also have a Gas Tax, supposedly for Infrastructure. WTF? We pay twice for infrastructure! From the regular taxes and from this Gas Tax. Rediculous.

Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Virginia, it's called Highway Use Fee and it applies to any vehicle that gets 25MPG or more. There are exemptions. If you don't drive much, you can register and pay per mile. I didn't go that route. I renewed my registration last month and paid an additional $10.30 for this fee. I'm assuming that's the fixed fee.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#highwayuse_fee.asp
An excellent summary!

How is the HUF calculated?
The HUF’s calculation is based on:
  • The vehicle's fuel efficiency
  • The fuel tax rate at the time the vehicle was registered
  • The average number of miles driven
You get to pick the lower of a fixed annual rate or a fee based on the actual miles driven. I am fine with this.

In comparison, if you want a personalized tag, you pay an extra $35 a year.

Vongreg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Camry, chevy 2500 HD, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One thing to note there are gas vehicles on the road that get better gas mileage than many hybrids yet are exempt from these taxes. Fair? No.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Virginia, it's called Highway Use Fee and it applies to any vehicle that gets 25MPG or more. There are exemptions. If you don't drive much, you can register and pay per mile. I didn't go that route. I renewed my registration last month and paid an additional $10.30 for this fee. I'm assuming that's the fixed fee.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#highwayuse_fee.asp
At least they are honest about the breakeven point at a little less than 11k. I'm well past that and it hasn't been an entire year yet.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

One thing to note there are gas vehicles on the road that get better gas mileage than many hybrids yet are exempt from these taxes. Fair? No.
Tax the TIRES.

Every car & Truck uses tires, no matter the fuel source or MPG.

Those who drive more, buy more tires, and pay more for roads.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Charging EV and hybrid owners the same rate does not seem fair. EV owners will not buy gas but hybrid owners do.
How roads are paid for may have to evolve but it should be a fair process. Right now it is mostly fair. . . if you buy more gas, you pay more gas taxes.

Maybe the EV charging stations should have a tax applied to the energy transferred just like the gas pumps do.
seems logical on the surface... but a deeper look at it shows maybe not so fair after all. I happen to enjoy off road recreation (Buggies, bikes, quads, S x S etc.) and they never go on the public roads. I have friends that are into boats for recreation and fishing, and even jet skis. They never drive on public roads. Then there's snowmobiles of all shapes and sizes. Again, never used on public roads. Then we have our yard maintenance tools like lawn mowers, edgers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, chainsaws, etc. that require gas with taxes added but not even capable of driving on public roads.

Still sound fair?

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

seems logical on the surface... but a deeper look at it shows maybe not so fair after all. I happen to enjoy off road recreation (Buggies, bikes, quads, S x S etc.) and they never go on the public roads. I have friends that are into boats for recreation and fishing, and even jet skis. They never drive on public roads. Then there's snowmobiles of all shapes and sizes. Again, never used on public roads. Then we have our yard maintenance tools like lawn mowers, edgers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, chainsaws, etc. that require gas with taxes added but not even capable of driving on public roads.

Still sound fair?
You know you DON'T have to pay road tax on fuel used for "off highway use" right?

I mean, you do, at the local station, but if you keep good records, you can file for a "rebate" once a year for fuel used "off highway".

It's so common for off highway equipment to be diesel they sell red dyed diesel that is tax free up front.

clofan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Arkansas charges $100 for Hybrids and $200 for EVs, annually. It's a bunch of crap. Charge Tyson and Walmart for the damage their trucks do to the road, not the responsible taxpayers who are already paying a ton of taxes elsewhere.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In Kentucky, highway fuels have always been taxed with those revenues going to a "road fund" toward highway maintenance. As automobiles have become more fuel efficient, lawmakers have kicked around ideas of boosting ever decreasing "road fund" revenues. Kentucky has decided to begin collecting an annual "electric vehicle ownership fee" of $120 from EV and hybrid owners at vehicle registration. (Here is a link to KY House Bill 8 with highlighted text concerning the topic: https://www.skofirm.com/publications/update-summary-of-2022-kentucky-tax-reform-legislation/#:~:text=Effective January 1, 2023, H.B.,year upon annual vehicle registration.

The reason for this thread is to provide information when trying to decide on EV/hybrid vs. combustion engine only vehicles. I don't know where you live, but you can bet all states will find ways to collect highway maintenance dollars from licensed vehicles regardless of type, so I wanted to share.

BTW, I'm scheduled for receipt of my 2023 Maverick XLT 2.0EB February 22 - 28, 2023, only 16 months after ordering.
Our government never ceases to find more creative ways to take our money!
Sponsored